Should I buy now or wait longer

I am a computer science major freshman and was wondering if I build a computer now or should I wait longer in the future for more improvements. For example I was thinking of building a dual core intel computer around black friday because of all the sales, but was wondering if new technology is on the way that I might miss out on. I dont really use my computer now for anything but browsing, but I am studyholic and my computer skills are improving quickly so I might be using it more. In the future, like two years when I take the computer science courses, I will be using my computer for alot of photoshop, and programming, and maybe some gaming to drop in and check some programming skills I can use in that environment. Please give me your ideas and thoughts. My price range is around 2500 and thats including the monitor which I want is widescreen. If you think I should build now, then give me some builds that you think are good.

I think this is the same answer you'll hear from a lot of people: "If you are always waiting for the 'next newest thing', you'll be waiting forever".

With $2500, you could build a very nice core 2 duo system that you'll be happy with for a couple years, especially with what it sounds like you'll be doing with it. Just my 2 cents :)

Buy now before DX10 comes out and you're tempted to spend $2000 on a single graphics card.

Waiting for the next "best" thing is a losing game. Buy now but if for example you think having a DX10 videocard is a must then wait for that piece of hardware but don't deprive yourself of a system just because 1 or 2 items aren't available yet.

If you wait, something else will make you doubt buying at that point. Just buy when you need enjoy while you can.

hmm, if you are freshman now, you need a machine now if for nothing else than writing papers, calendar etc.

Now is a great time to get a CPU due to the new intel core2duos that have forced a downward cut in prices for intel and amd cpus.

The black friday idea is a good one but think you probally do better online. hmm perhaps harddrives supplies power strip, maybe the stores around you carry high qualtiy components, mine dont :mad:

Your budget allows you to get about anyting you want within reason. The only big thing coming up soon is the 4 cores on a chip and since there is little software outside the enterprise server arena that will really use 4 cores /shrug, .

perhaps get an exellent case and power supply, high capacity SATA2 drives and 2GB of high quality DDR2 memory and go midrange on the MB and perhaps a pentium D 900 series dual core instead of the Core2 Duo. and in 2 years swap out the MB and cpu. dont spend a lot on a video card, thats where the big changes are comeing with DX10 cards due the end of the year/Q1 2007

I dont see any advances in tech upcoming that would obsolete a current top of the line case, powesupply, DDR2, SATA2 drive, in two years and a DVD/CD Burner is $35 bucks so who cares !

I could strech that and say that with the new core 2 duos while intel will continue to improve on them and raise the clockspeed, more cores yada yada , we wont see any great leap out of Intel for several years, they just made one. AMD on the other hand is about due for a complete overhaul of their processors.

I would recommend Intel at this time.
with an asus or gigabyte mid range board (less than $150) and core 2 duo 6300 (cheapest and overclocks to beat the band)
video card no more than $200 and you dont even need that if you stick to business and dont waste time on games.
Get a 19" CRT, its cheaper, sharper and harder to steal.

If you want some flash get this with a windowed case.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product/Liquid/DIY/cl-w0076/cl-w0076.asp

about $150, easy to install, works great and will impress the crap out of the other bit heads.

and if I may pass along the 3 golden rules.

1) Never take more than 16 hours a semeter or your brain will explode.
2) Never ever get less than a C in a class, if you are not "getting it" drop it !!! Try again next semester with a different professor.
3) Never spend more time on a 1 credit hour lab than the associated 3 credit hour class.

oh, dont chase women, too much booze or drugs, graduate, make a ton of money, drive a flash car and let them chase you ;)

BillParrish said:
oh, dont chase women, too much booze or drugs, graduate, make a ton of money, drive a flash car and let them chase you ;)
Fukn A

Also one more thing, where do you recommend me to buy all the parts for me to build the computer. I know you will all suggest newegg, but sometimes they send alot of broken things I hear. I have every major store around me as far as electronics wise. Just wondering so I can go ahead on the system build. Also which is faster, core duo or dual core. My gut tells me dual core because I think that came out later which means better. Thanks for the answers

Get anything with a Core 2 Duo in it. You may want to get a mid range graphic card now, so in a year or so you could upgrade to DX10. But Core 2 Quadro will be a drop in replacement for Core 2 Duo's so I would think any system you get now, should last you a while and be very upgradeable.

Now is a okay time to buy. The only bad is that the core 2 duo motherboards are not 100% solid yet.

BTW b;ack friday normally is about getting cheap computer parts for cheap. its not every year that they have cheap high end parts on sale.

Back