Should I buy Diablo 3?

Their battle.net store is very misleading regarding sales tax.

When I selected payment via Visa, they added sales tax.
When I selected Paypal, no sales tax.

I submit order, states that my paypal will be billed $59.99.
okay.

Order confirmation sheet: Paypal charges: $59.99+$5.16 tax

Fucking blizzard lying bastards. Their order summary said my paypal would only be billed $59.99.

For those who are saying D3 is stale, are you sure it's not just you getting older?

I feel the same way about most games these days because the fact is I am older. It's like when I remember loading up Morrowind for the first time as a sophomore in high school. It was absolutely amazing to have an open world. Then Oblivion came when I was a freshman in college. It was cool, but the magic wasn't quite there. Luckily, mods helped make it a great experience. And just last year I played Skyrim. Again, it was cool for a little bit, but the magic is completely gone. I think it will be the same for D3, sadly.

This guy speaks from experience. I second this as I too have gotten older and dont' quite feel the 'magic' in the same franchises I played when I was younger. It's like we're all chasing this feeling we got from these games years ago (remember, D2 came out over 10 years ago!) which we can't quite capture anymore becuase we have grown and probably seen alot of things which has de sensitized our sense of wonder we use to have.

okay.

Fucking blizzard lying bastards. Their order summary said my paypal would only be billed $59.99.

Boo hoo you didn't evade state sales tax. :rolleyes:

okay.

Probably because Paypal takes care of collecting the state tax for them. If you use Paypal you normally don't have to enter an address at the merchant, so they don't know what the taxes should be. The credit card purchases are internal, so they handle their own taxes for that.

This guy speaks from experience. I second this as I too have gotten older and dont' quite feel the 'magic' in the same franchises I played when I was younger. It's like we're all chasing this feeling we got from these games years ago (remember, D2 came out over 10 years ago!) which we can't quite capture anymore becuase we have grown and probably seen alot of things which has de sensitized our sense of wonder we use to have.

Eh, Not particularly - I was looking at my 360 game collection, and it's mostly just Action RPGS or WRpgs or some variant, with FF13 and 13-2, KoA kinda mixed in.

None of that was as appealing as looking at my FF9 Disk and popping that in.

Modern games, from what I've seen, just are throwing more and more stimulation at a player and it may be nice just to chill back and play something different *shrug*.

Last edited:
I just read about 10-15 of those "reviews" on meta-critic, and they are utter rubbish. The vast majority of them are moaning about server congestion, and the rest are all bitching about the same things that people have been bitching about for what seems like an eternity.

*yawn*

Once again, a case of the vocal minority being pandered to by the trolls and haters.

Saw this posted on the ever expanding blizzard thread.

Ok, to all the people taking Blizz's side saying that it's only down for a day, they couldn't plan for this, to be patient, they're doing us a favor by working on it now, and at least they're keeping us updated, you're morons.

The fact is people paid for a product with an expectation that they would be able to play the game today. Some people even made accommodations for it. If you bought a car and it didn't work for the first day you tried to buy it but the dealer said it'll work soon, you'd still be pissed.

Saying they can't plan for it is delusional. Not only did they have a beta that had very similar problems, but they had thousands of pre-sales. They had worldwide launch events that took months to plan. They knew how popular the game would be because they ensured it would be. And what's worse is by pre-selling the game to so many people, they actually had the funds upfront to ensure these issues wouldn't happen. It's not that hard to have a successful software release. Look at the GW2 beta: there were big issues with overloading so they had an actual day dedicated to stress testing where they let everyone back in. And they didn't do this 2 weeks before launch. Also, I'm a software developer. My job is to deploy software to enterprise systems and while unexpected things do happen, this is beyond a disaster.

And as far as keeping us updated being some sort of blessing the Blizzard gods have done for us, THEY'RE FALSE UPDATES! This is the third time they've pushed back the ETA, which means saying "we don't know when it'll work" would've been more forthcoming.

This launch is a failure. Don't delude yourself into thinking it's not.

You guys what you want. I've never played the original and purchased the D3 and already love the game.

While I agree with you on this, it's only partially true imho. I don't think the magic completely disappears when you get older, rather, it more disappears when the genre has gotten older. Now, I never cared for TES games (outside Redguard), but there have been quite a few games that I really enjoyed even past college such as The World Ends With You, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Professor Layton, Guitar Hero, and yes, even DDR to name a few games.

The difference to me is that all these games were new (at least to me) when they first came out, or at least bringing back a genre that had been presumed dead for years. Whereas, take a look at Diablo, and it's many clones. I believe I got burnt out on them around the time Nox came out, although I will admit I enjoyed Divine Divinity (albeit not the sequels).

I believe that's where we tend to associate it with age, because when we're younger, there are more new experiences. But that's not to state that you can experience new things that bring about a sense of excitement when you get older. Just that gaming being a business pretty much means it's safer to bring about Call of Halo Part 14 than to try to something new. (Remember, whereas you might think it's another rehash, some younger person is just playing that for their first experience of the FPS).

The one area I think age does really matter though is that our tastes tend to evolve. Certainly, I can no longer devote hours to games as I did when I was younger. I tend to now look for games which can be played in several minute sessions.

Same here. Even playing PoE or Torchlight, I just don't get that sense of excitement I used to from these types of games (or most games for that matter). They're great games (PoE and Torchlight, not D3), but the experience is certainly nothing like the first time I sat down with D1. I was REALLY hoping D3 was going to be the game to get me excited about this genre again, but instead of improving the formula they took a huge step backwards IMO. It's not just getting older, the fact is you can only go back to the same well so many times before you run it dry, and Blizzard made absolutely no attempt to innovate with D3.

No, i heard this only have 5 hours of gameplay. till you finish the game

I wonder how many people paying for single player functionality are getting hosed today because of this always-on-DRM crap. While I don't have the game (yet), this launch seems to be a rather big embarrassment for Blizzard. I guess I'll be holding off on a purchase until the servers are stable and I've had a chance to try out the demo version that is apparently coming out in a month.

Probably about what Diablo 2 had, then you played the game over and over again doing Act 5 runs. Fun times.

oO D2 was five hours? You guys are crazy, how in hells name do you beat D2 in 5 hours? It took me way way way longer than that.

No, i heard this only have 5 hours of gameplay. till you finish the game

Just because someone made it a point to speedrun through it doesn't mean that the average playtime is anywhere near that. Otherwise we could say silly things like "I heard you can beat Morrowind in 15 minutes, it sucks".

It will take you at least 10 hours to get through Act 1 and 2 alone.

I bought D3 from amazon since I had some Amazon funds laying around. I can wait for my boxed game hopefully things are all ironed out by then lol.

I messed with first Diablo but I never played games back then and when D2 hit I was wrapped up in fps world so badly you could never pull me away to any other game. Kind of regret not playing D2. These days fps are kind of fail I don't play COD since world at war really and though I still enjoy BF3 infantry style play it's long in the tooth to say the least. Especially since they ruined vehicle combat.

I just bought this. Spent 2 hours trying to log on with servers crashing. Hop eit gets better.

I'm 27. Played the original Diablo 2 when I was 15. I logged in tonight and played with some friends. It wasn't OMG THIS IS AMAZING but it was definitely enjoyable to blow up some zombies and skeletons with friends again. Games are what you make of them. Don't put unreasonable expectations on them and enjoy them for what they are.

Just because someone made it a point to speedrun through it doesn't mean that the average playtime is anywhere near that. Otherwise we could say silly things like "I heard you can beat Morrowind in 15 minutes, it sucks".

It will take you at least 10 hours to get through Act 1 and 2 alone.

Sometimes people put too much weight in judging a game by how long (or short) it takes to play a game. I can make a tic-tac-toe game last 20-80 hours by putting in a 10 hour loading screen between each turn. I care less about how many hours I'm playing a game, and more about how fun I'm having while playing the game.

I'll take a 10 hour rpg if every second is fun, over an 80 hour rpg that requires excessive grinding and backtracking for no important reason.

Having said that, what I've been seeing people post about nightmare difficulty alone, this will take a short time to beat, but a very very long time to complete. Inferno will not be for the feint of heart, and I expect to love every second of it

So i figure why not load the game up incase i decide to buy it, first thing i do "disable peer 2 peer" sharing.. well seems Blizzard is full of CRAP! tell me if it looks like peer 2 peer is disabled in the pic below:

diabloiiipeer2peernnn.jpg

and no, i have nothing else running on that system using bandwidth except email

My opinion, and the opinion of my friends, is that Diablo 3 retail is much improved beyond the beta experience. It's worth the purchase IMO.

I actually reinstalled D2 a couple of weeks ago.

I remembered that I never got round to killing Baal in the expansion over 10 years ago.

So I copied in my old saved games folder and took Quentin, my Barbarian into battle and finished it at last.

That's another thing off my bucket list.

Currently replaying it with a Sorceress this time. It's still a fun little game.

I spent the day playing diablo 3 at a launch day LAN party yesterday. I felt the experience was a bit of a let down. I liked Diablo 2 better and liked Titan Quest way better. I think they really messed up the formula on the character development in Diablo 3. How can you get attached to a character you have no stat control on, and worse, the character can be changed in 5 seconds to be any other equivalent class character... what's the point? Why can my wizard use a two handed axe as effectively as a wand and spell book? Why does the game have arguably worse graphics than D2 or Titan Quest so many long years after those releases? Why did they copy the level design and characters from the first and second games to the point of putting me off. IE. Act 1 is Crypts, Tristrum, woods, Deckard Cain, etc. Act 2 is sand/Desert, there is the crazy, seemingly out of place star level in the middle of act two etc. I actually groaned out loud and felt like quitting when our co-op team portaled to the star platform level. It is like a rerelease of the first two games without the charm? Same music, many of the enemies are the same --- I feel a lot of dejavu and its been 10 years since I played the last in the Diablo series. Truthfully I didn't like it much and if somebody told me I could never play it again after my launch day game experience - I wouldn't be upset.

Last edited:
I spent the day playing diablo 3 at a launch day LAN party yesterday. I felt the experience was a bit of a let down. I liked diablo2 better and liked titan quest way better. I think they really messed up the formula on the character development. How can you get attached to a character you have no control of stats on, and I'd the character can be changed in 5seconds to be any othe character what's the point. Why can my wizard use a two handed axe as effectively as a wand and spell book? Why does the game have arguably worse graphics than d2 or titan quest so many long years after those releases? Why did they copy the level design of the first and second games to the point of putting me off. Ie act 2 is sand, there is the crazy, seemingly out of place star level in the middle of act two etc. I feel a lot of dejavu and its been 10 years since I played the last in the series. Truthfully I didn't like it much and if somebody told me I could never play it again - I wouldn't be upset.
Argue with me - how does the game have worse graphics than Diablo 2?

Argue with me - how does the game have worse graphics than Diablo 2?

It's my subjective opinion. Diablo 2 was all hand-drawn, intimate, mood setting art. Look at the buildings and landscape in act 2 for instance. It seems more effort was put forth. Diablo 3 seems like a bunch of tile pieces put together inside buildings rather than an artists handcraft. Also the 'toony' aspect of the characters and graphics don't lend themselves well to the dark ominous feel of the game in my opinion. That is subjective --- some may like Diablo 3 graphics better. The graphics look ripped out of warcraft 3 to me and the repetitive animations on the characters like the evil priests look like they could be 5 years or even a decade old. Basically, IMO, some of the atmosphere is lost on the cartoony graphics.

I'm in the middle of ACT2. In Diablo II or in Titan Quest by the middle of Act 2 I was hooked! Line and Sinker. I've played through Diablo II and Titan Quest both Dozens of times - spent hundreds if not thousands of hours on each of those games. Multiple play through on multiple characters and then multiple hard-core runs too! For such a big fan of the genre to walk away from a launch day LAN party of Diablo 3 saying meh --- We'll I hope I'm the only one ---- otherwise this game isn't the gem we've all hoped it was going to be!

Last edited:
It's my subjective opinion. Diablo 2 was all hand-drawn, intimate, mood setting art. Look at the buildings and landscape in act 2 for instance. It seems more effort was put forth. Diablo 3 seems like a bunch of tile pieces put together inside buildings rather than an artists handcraft. Also the 'toony' aspect of the characters and graphics don't lend themselves well to the dark ominous feel of the game in my opinion. That is subjective --- some may like Diablo 3 graphics better. The graphics look ripped out of warcraft 3 to me and the repetitive animations on the characters like the evil priests look like they could be 5 years or even a decade old. Basically, IMO, some of the atmosphere is lost on the cartoony graphics.

I'm in the middle of ACT2. In Diablo II, In Titan Quest by the middle of Act 2 I was hooked! Line and Sinker. I've played through Diablo II and Titan Quest both Dozens of times - spent hundreds if not thousands of hours on each of those games. Multiple play through on multiple characters and then multiple hard-core runs too! For such a big fan of the genre to walk away from a launch day LAN party of Diablo 3 saying meh --- We'll I hope I'm the only one ---- otherwise this game isn't the gem we've all hoped it was going to be!

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/whiners-vs-pach-attack/729996

I didn't watch your trailer, but I clicked the link and saw the intent.

Why is my opinion automatically disqualified because I didn't rave about the game?

You first must realize I planned this launch day LAN party -- took off work, organized with friends, and really hoped this game would be as fun as I remember the first couple Diablo's being. Monday night I told one of my friends that he should buy the game, without waiting for reviews, because it's blizzard and they've never really made a poor game and if it's broken - they'll fix it. That's pretty much a Blizzard fan boy speaking and not a whiner or complainer. My complaints/opinions come after logging about 10 hours of gameplay through Act 1 and Act 2 and seeing how I felt the next day. I do think they'll fix it, but at this point I would tell that same friend to hold off on purchasing it in all likelyhood because Titan Quest is now about $5 and if they want a dungeon crawl experience - at this point it is a far superior experience.

Another friend of mine who spent thousands of hours playing Diablo 2, said he wasn't even going to buy the game after playing the beta, and I couldn't understand that at all when he relayed that to me, but after playing the release copy yesterday - I understand why.

Meh....

This game seems a lot like torchlight to me, in that one playthrough will probably suffice. I hope I'm wrong and the addiction/enjoyment factor picks up for me -- but so far I'm not seeing it - and that's after spending a significant amount of time with the product and a being a tremendous fan of the genre.

So i figure why not load the game up incase i decide to buy it, first thing i do "disable peer 2 peer" sharing.. well seems Blizzard is full of CRAP! tell me if it looks like peer 2 peer is disabled in the pic below:

So is there any way to block P2P with router settings?

This seems like a big scam forcing consumers to foot their bandwidth bill because they didn't prepare ahead of time to have the game ready for launch with enough bandwidth for installation & play.

This seems like a big scam forcing consumers to foot their bandwidth bill because they didn't prepare ahead of time to have the game ready for launch with enough bandwidth for installation & play.

You guys obviously never played WoW. Peer to peer updates on the blizzard side has been going on for quite some time. Its not a way to "pay their bandwidth bill", when everyone is trying to download the same update all at the same time, p2p is actually more effective.

It isn't a scam so much as Blizzard not being considerate of people with very slow internet connections OR bandwidth caps.

diabloiiipeer2peernnn.jpg

and no, i have nothing else running on that system using bandwidth except email

Did you reboot after changing the setting? The WoW Updater used to get stuck in P2P mode as well, but rebooting fixed it for me.

IF your a fan of the diablo series like i am i would get it. But be warned the server issues are still going on. people are still getting errors in game. The game is great when it works tho.

Back