Should I buy a refurbished iPod?

bchinfoon

n00b
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?nplm=FA497LL/A

So I can get a 2nd generation 8GB Nano for 149.00 through Apple's website for Best Buy employees. I just finished putting a new Alpine stereo in my Civic and I've been looking to get an iPod to use with it. This seems like a pretty good deal and I really like the size and shape of the 2nd generation Nano's. I'm just a little worried about buying a refurbished product.

At Geek Squad we sometimes exchange peoples' defective iPods for refurbished ones instead of shipping them out to get serviced. It seems like a quite a few of the refurbished ones end up coming back for service eventually anyways. The only difference with the Nano is that it uses flash memory. To me this seems like there's a smaller chance I'm going to run into problems.

Any advice from people more knowledgeable of Mac products would be appreciated.

It should have a 1 year warranty through Apple. They charge a $30 facilitation fee for any problems after the first 90 days if you don't have Applecare. Buy Applecare with your employee discount.

I never had a problem with my 8GB 2nd Gen Nano. It wasn't a refurb though, I bought it right after they came out in October of 2006. I sold it to a friend in November 2007 when I bought my 16GB iPod touch, it still works great for him. The thing stood up to much more abuse than my 4GB iPod Mini ever did.

Apple has pretty good refurb products. Since its a nano I would say go for it, but if it was a hard drive version I would be a little more weary. Apple also gives them the same 1 year warranty as new products so thats also a plus.

Several months ago I bought a refurb iPod Video 30GB. I never had any issues with it and it came to me looking new.

I bought both my iPods (2g and photo 30gb) and my MBP refurbished. All came flawlessly.

Back