Should I buy a PS2?

Direwolf20

2[H]4U
They've got PS2's at the local gamestops for like, $60 pre-owned. Thats not bad.

I baught a PS3 a bit ago, and was very excited to play some of the games I missed, having never owned a PS2. Well, I was surprised to see the newer models don't have backwards compatibility. Annoyed too, but oh well, I'm past that now.

So should I just buy the ps2? Or wait in the hope that they bring back the backwards compatibility and the ability to download PS2 games from the store?

I'm thinking buy, I want to play FF10, FF12, god of war, and a few other choice titles.

Honestly, theres very few PS3 games right now that interest me enough to BUY them. I'm probably gonna rent dead space, resistance 2, and LBP. But those are the big ones that interest me. Probably MGS4 eventually.

I've been struggling with this same decision. If I can get one cheap, I think I'd do it. $60 sounds pretty good to me, but I don't usually go for pre-owned stuff unless I know where it came from. For that price I'd probably bite. Hmm..need to visit my Gamestop I guess.

I know more PS2 games will be out on PSN for download, but I'm also stuck with one of the newer models that doesn't have bc. Boo hiss hah.

Do it! You'll be really glad you did after you start playing all the kickass games you missed out on. I don't think Sony plans to bring backward compatibility back to the PS3 and it will probably be a long wait until they make games like FFXII and God of War available in the store.

I read they're going to release some older Street Fighter Alpha games besides the one they have on there now and also Marvel vs Capcom 2. Hell, can't find that anywhere so will be nice when they do. However, I may have to hop on one if I can get it cheap!

Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
God of War
God of War 2
Resident Evil 4

Those 5 games make owing a PS2 worthwhile, imo. Honestly, even SotC alone makes owning a PS2 worthwhile. I would spend just the little bit more to get a new PS2 slim, also.

Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
God of War
God of War 2
Resident Evil 4

Those 5 games make owing a PS2 worthwhile, imo. Honestly, even SotC alone makes owning a PS2 worthwhile. I would spend just the little bit more to get a new PS2 slim, also.

I agree with those, and would like to add:
Katamari Damacy
Metal Gear series
Baldur's Gate
Final Fantasy series
GTA Series

Plus, you could get some old PS titles to play on there.

Sounds like a good deal to me too, especially if it is the slim PS2.

God of War & God of War 2 will not disappoint you. Then you can get God of War 3 for the PS3 you have when that comes out (hopefully this year).

I did this, I have a BCless PS3 and I bought a slim PS2 with Lego Batman. I gotta say I don't regret it, although I do wonder what MGS2-3 would look like upscaled...

How people still don't own a PS2 is crazy. It's still my favorite console.

If you missed out on a PS2 and there are games that you want to play -- don't even hesitate, just buy one.

Don't forget the FS/T forums here and craigslist for some good deals!

If you missed out on a PS2 and there are games that you want to play -- don't even hesitate, just buy one.

Don't forget the FS/T forums here and craigslist for some good deals!

Go with this idea. I'd go to craigslist or FS/T before Gamestop, you'll probably get a better deal.

Shadow of the Colossus
ICO
God of War
God of War 2
Resident Evil 4

No, Resident Evil 4 makes a Wii/GC worth owning.

I've seen few PS2s for less than ~$75 shipped here, so considering he could get it at Gamestop with their protection plan (stupid on games, great idea on used consoles) for around that, I'd probably just buy locally.

I also have one of the newer non-backwards-compatible PS3s and would love to play FFX / FFXII, God of War, Xenosaga, etc... but it's going to have to wait until I have a little more cash in hand. ;)

Stopped by a friend's house today and asked if he had his old PS2 that he never uses. Gave it to me along with a few games ;). It's one o the fat boys and I need a controller, but think I'm gonna pick up Shadow of the Colossus tomorrow and maybe SNK vs Capcom. Gotta get a memory card too...that was always weird to me, the mem card heh.

[DFR]Random;1033602158 said:
Stopped by a friend's house today and asked if he had his old PS2 that he never uses. Gave it to me along with a few games ;). It's one o the fat boys and I need a controller, but think I'm gonna pick up Shadow of the Colossus tomorrow and maybe SNK vs Capcom. Gotta get a memory card too...that was always weird to me, the mem card heh.

Congrats. Hard to find a better deal than free...that's a cool friend you have.

My PS2 is the fat model as well. I have some freezing/skipping problems every once in a while when trying to watch DVD movies but other than that I prefer it over the slim models. My tv stand space is limited so I like the front ejecting disc tray. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the slim models have a lid-top(like the PS1) instead?

PS2 has THE best library of any gaming console ever (taking account PS1 compat). Well, the 60+20gb ps3's do too, but that's alot of cheese to dish out.

$60 is a good deal, in my local gamestops it's still $99. I have at home virtually every game console (GameCube, XBox, PS2, PS3, Wii) just to have a better choice when I wanna play somthing

I did this, I have a BCless PS3 and I bought a slim PS2 with Lego Batman. I gotta say I don't regret it, although I do wonder what MGS2-3 would look like upscaled...

If you have an above average HDTV from the past 2 years , it should upscale pretty well. Not quite as well, but close enough.

Well, I got one ;). Playing FFX right now (I played it like 6 years ago when it first came out).. Then onto FFXII and some other goodies. But between this, my PS3, and EVE-Online, my gaming repertoire is now full!

I got the slim for $70, a 32mb card for $15, and FF10 for $12. Not bad at all :).

I got Gamestop Generic Component cables, but they didn't seem to work. I got audio, but no video. I just stuck with composite Y/R/W. The graphics don't look TOO bad on my new Sony Bravia 52" LCD :). And considering this is one of the oldest PS2 games, I think its pretty cool.

Will I notice a difference with ALL PS2 games if I were to get component cables working? Or only a select few of the new ones that support the higher res? Basically, is it worth it to persue the Component cables?

Of course the PS3 is worlds better. Played a little deadspace last night as well :).

I probably would have paid a little more money if it meant having BC built into the PS3. Rather than going and spending $70 on a seperate console box

It's worth buying the component (or even s-video!) cables - they help a lot with color.

FWIW, I am very pleased with my PS3 60gb purchase. The JRPGs for the PS3 simply haven't been coming in large numbers, whereas there are a ton of them for the PS2 that I play on my PS3 all the time. That's disregarding the ancillary benefits, like HDMI output, "free" memory cards on the HDD, upscaling, etc.

Someone gave me one not too long ago. Played a little soul calibur 2 for old times sake, not too sure what else to do with it. lol I need to get a memory card

$60 seems high. I've seen them for $40 at a local game store used, not refurbished. For that price, why not. You can get most games for under $10, and can get 4-5 of the more popular games for around $20.

luckily i got my ps3 before sony went cheap and took away backwards compatibility, but i still have my fat ps2

in all honesty though i still play my ps2 more than my ps3. there were some pretty fun games on the ps1 and 2.

for some reason when i play my ps2 games on my hdtv on my ps3 (which is plugged in with hdmi), the games have blurry/crappy quality compared to when i had my ps2 plugged in with component.

I think both look pretty crappy on my son's 37" LCD whether it's the PS3 playing a PS2 game or actually playing it on the PS2. It looks even more horrible if you use the PS2 with a composite cable. I thought the Wii we got my son for Christmas was going to look horrible through composite too, but it doesn't. Neither did my nephew's 360 plugged into the composite input.

I think both look pretty crappy on my son's 37" LCD whether it's the PS3 playing a PS2 game or actually playing it on the PS2. It looks even more horrible if you use the PS2 with a composite cable.

I gotta say that I've seen PS2 games look good, but with my newly acquired fatboy running just composite it does not look very good at all on a 37" LCD. I may be comparing apples and oranges with PS2 and PS3 graphics, but I've heard Shadow of Colossus is a beautiful game and it looks like trash on my tv :(. Not sure how much component cables will help. Ideas anyone?

[DFR]Random;1033615225 said:
I gotta say that I've seen PS2 games look good, but with my newly acquired fatboy running just composite it does not look very good at all on a 37" LCD. I may be comparing apples and oranges with PS2 and PS3 graphics, but I've heard Shadow of Colossus is a beautiful game and it looks like trash on my tv :(. Not sure how much component cables will help. Ideas anyone?
Sounds like your TV's scaler is crap. Component cables will help some, but it's not going to make it look HD by a long shot.

Should I try hooking it up to my monitor? The TV is a cheapo Vizio but looks great with everything except the PS2 heh.

I just got rid of our ps2 in the house once I snagged a 60gb ps3. To me it was worth the premium of having a less-cluttered living room

But, I do suggest picking up a ps2, regardless of owning anything else. It was one of the most defining consoles of the previous generation, and it has the largest library of games with high acclaim.

Shop around if you want and don't worry about picking one up used. Our ps2 was a first generation fattie, and it was still working just fine when we sold it a month ago (along with it's original controller).

I only liked gow and mgs series on ps2.
I have a ps3 now and love it but my ps3 isn't bc either.I couldn't see paying $449 for a bc ps3 which is used when i got my new 80gig ps3 for $350 otd.

Maybe they will put mgs and gow on the psn store.

i couldn't imagine shelling out $60 just to play mgs and gow.
They just need to add them to the store so we can buy them.

Back