Should I buy a 570 GTX?

McDork

Gawd
I've been wanting to upgrade my 8800GTS lately and the 570 GTXs' have been coming down to around $200. I've been on the fence all year trying to decide whether or not to buy this card. How does this card compare with the new Nvidia and AMD offerings (particularly the 660ti, 670, the 6950, 6970, and 7950). I've kind of gotten away from gaming lately, but I want to get started again this winter. Thanks.

Last edited:
I don't think it's ever a good idea to buy older hardware. 660ti is quite close to 670, so I doubt there's any reason at all to go with a 570, unless you find one used and very cheap.

I don't think it's ever a good idea to buy older hardware. 660ti is quite close to 670, so I doubt there's any reason at all to go with a 570, unless you find one used and very cheap.

no the 660ti is not close to the 670.

I've been wanting to upgrade my 8800GTS lately and the 570 GTXs' have been coming down to around $200. I've been on the fence all year trying to decide whether or not to buy this card. How does this card compare with the new Nvidia and AMD offerings (particularly the 660ti, 670, the 6950, 6970, and 7950). I've kind of gotten away from gaming lately, but I want to get started again this winter. Thanks.

if you are on a budget constrain AMD offers the best solutions right now. 7870 is highly praised and that was when its price was an extra 100$

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125418

if you are willing to spend a little bit more the 7950 is the best 300$ option possible right now it is a steal for its price and highly overclockable.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667

if you insist on staying with Nvidia my suggestion is 670 or higher. the 660ti is lacking for the price especially when you can get a better performing card for the same price (7950)

and the 570 GTXs' have been coming down to around $200.

I have a 570 and 680 ... and I think I would spring for a $250 660 (non-Ti) before a $200 570 card (according to the TT suggested preview it's around 580 performance.) That's assuming the 660 is going to be $250 of course.

Koween, what do you consider really cheap? I really like the looks of both of the AMD cards. I've only owned Nvidia , mostly EVGA (it would be hard to give up their excellent tech support and 1-800 phoneline). But I have a Gigabyte mobo and think it is a really good product. Gotta think.

Koween, what do you consider really cheap? I really like the looks of both of the AMD cards. I've only owned Nvidia , mostly EVGA (it would be hard to give up their excellent tech support and 1-800 phoneline). But I have a Gigabyte mobo and think it is a really good product. Gotta think.

i wouldnt pay anything over 120$ probably and even that doesnt seem worth it, i would sell your 570 for around that and put that towards one of the AMD cards

i know the question was directed at him, just thought i'd butt in :p

660 TI matches or beats the older 580 depending on the game. I recommend waiting to see the price of the new 660 non Ti. If the price is right it would be the best deal, compared to the 660 Ti or 670, $300 and $400 respectively. Less expensive OC'd cards usually have the best bang for the buck.

Hey dremic, I don't have a 570 to sell, I'm wanting to replace my 4 year old 8800GTS. It has been a good card even though I've had to run at lower settings. Right now everything is looking really good in comparison.

Hey dremic, I don't have a 570 to sell, I'm wanting to replace my 4 year old 8800GTS. It has been a good card even though I've had to run at lower settings. Right now everything is looking really good in comparison.

oh okay i mustve been thinking about another thread for a minute i thought we were talking about getting SLI gtx 570's going.

definitely everything is gonna be a big upgrade. honestly if you have budget constraints you know thats your biggest factor when making a GPU purchase.. what can you afford or what are you willing to pay.

but my suggestions still stand. i would skip the 570

I don't really know the prices up there in the US (I'm from Norway), but basically unless it's really a steal, I'd wait for the 660 to show up, or look at one of the AMD cards, since they seem to offer good price/perf ratio. It's older gen, older tech, and I think that it's not worth paying for older hardware, when new tech is jus around the corner. The 660 should be quite affodrable, and from the looks of that preview it is quite capable.
So, in short - better save some money, if needed, and buy current tech, than buy used (or even not used) old tech for almost the same cost.

Thanks everybody, I have some good Ideas now. I was a bit surprised at the response I got regarding the 570 GTX. I always thought it was considered pretty good (close to the 580) and only one generation old. Is the new generation (600 series and 6900/7900 series) that much better?

Thanks everybody, I have some good Ideas now. I was a bit surprised at the response I got regarding the 570 GTX. I always thought it was considered pretty good (close to the 580) and only one generation old. Is the new generation (600 series and 6900/7900 series) that much better?

new generation is generally better due to it being so close in price and the improvements in speed / temp / power draw etc

I have a 570 and 680 ... and I think I would spring for a $250 660 (non-Ti) before a $200 570 card (according to the TT suggested preview it's around 580 performance.) That's assuming the 660 is going to be $250 of course.
even the 660ti loses to the 580 in some cases especially once AA is used.

I'd still probably take the 660 non-Ti over the 570 (do you ever miss a thread to mention 660Ti and AA?)

a 660 non ti is the performance of a 570 for more money cause its a new generation. how does that make sense to you? the temps and power draw are not worth the extra bills imo

a 660 non ti is the performance of a 570 for more money cause its a new generation. how does that make sense to you? the temps and power draw are not worth the extra bills imo

All I'm saying is that I have four 500 series cards (550Ti, 560/560Ti, 570) and two 600 series cards (640, 680) and just drawing off the vibe I've have with all six cards, I'd rather have the 2GB 660 over the 1.25GB 570, that's just my impression.

All I'm saying is that I have four 500 series cards (550Ti, 560/560Ti, 570) and two 600 series cards (640, 680) and just drawing off the vibe I've have with all six cards, I'd rather have the 2GB 660 over the 1.25GB 570, that's just my impression.

well VRAM is definitely a limitation of the 570 i agree

my suggestion is still to go with the AMD ones i suggested above. thats a good deal really

I have a GTX 570 and a GTX 670. Temperature wise, the 6xx series is noticeably cooler than 5xx, so I'd choose a GTX 660 non-Ti over GTX 570, if the price difference is less than $100.

I'm thinking the 660-Ti is looking pretty good. I might wait for the prices to drop on them though. What does the Ti designation stand for, and what will the difference be between the Ti version and the non-Ti version (in architecture). Why is everyone recommending the Non Ti over the Ti? I still haven't decided for sure yet though, I'm open for recommendations. I think my pricepoint is going to be between $200 and $300.

well VRAM is definitely a limitation of the 570 i agree

At 1080p it's really not. Anything above that and I would agree, though.

570 is still a good card, I'm not sure they're really worth $200 still but it's a good card. I went from 570 SLI to a single 680 and I'm happy with that.

I'm thinking the 660-Ti is looking pretty good. I might wait for the prices to drop on them though. What does the Ti designation stand for, and what will the difference be between the Ti version and the non-Ti version (in architecture). Why is everyone recommending the Non Ti over the Ti? I still haven't decided for sure yet though, I'm open for recommendations. I think my pricepoint is going to be between $200 and $300.

Well you were talking about a $200 card, so I tried to stay not too far above that. The 660 non-Ti is rumored to be $229-$249. The 660Ti is $300, well above your 570 inquiry. That's all, nothing nefarious.

The 660 has less cores than the 660Ti. It's just a confusing card naming scheme ... there were five different 560 cards ...

Back