Should I buy a 2nd 1080 Ti?

In one word. Yes. I went from 3 980's to two 1080ti's and I wouldn't have done it any other way. How could I have gone from from an older gen to brand new and have lower fps in games that need it? I run 4k as well. No way I would have stayed at 4k if I was going to run just one card. Fps isn't high enough for me. SLI is what it is. Most of the stuff I play has SLI support. I enjoy it.

Everyone says alot of things but take it from those actually running two cards at your res. 4k is to much for one card.

Nice honest answer! First ive heard with someone stating needing 1080ti sli.. usually people say rhey ran from 1080 sli to a single 1080ti and i could never understand why when 1080ti is only 20-30% faster then the non ti card.. so im trying to hold on to my 1080 sli as long as i can for 4k.

Reactions: Savoy
like this
Common knowledge a single 1080ti isn't adequate for 4K if you want the goods turned on.

Here's hoping a single Volta ti will finally be adequate for 4K..

I've kept my 2 980tis for the very reason - that a single Volta will have just enough. Always prefer a single card if I can..

In one word. Yes. I went from 3 980's to two 1080ti's and I wouldn't have done it any other way. How could I have gone from from an older gen to brand new and have lower fps in games that need it? I run 4k as well. No way I would have stayed at 4k if I was going to run just one card. Fps isn't high enough for me. SLI is what it is. Most of the stuff I play has SLI support. I enjoy it.

Everyone says alot of things but take it from those actually running two cards at your res. 4k is to much for one card.

That's an answer I'm looking for. Straight to the point. I'm coming from 2 R9 290's running 7680 x 1440. I'm guessing one 1080ti could get me by, but I want smooth, and ability to have near max settings.

That's an answer I'm looking for. Straight to the point. I'm coming from 2 R9 290's running 7680 x 1440. I'm guessing one 1080ti could get me by, but I want smooth, and ability to have near max settings.

You would definitely want to continue going multi-GPU then. I went from the previous Titan X SLI to Pascals and the performance upgrade was absolutely worth it for UHD. The additional 3 megapixels for your setup would only compound the effect. Not to mention the 1080Ti/Titans consume about the same power as your old 290s, so there'd be no change in cooling requirements to take into consideration.

Triple screen 1440p is a beast. Not only is it more pixels than 4K, but the higher FOV means you are rendering more objects on the periphery, so even more intensive. At those crazy resolutions, you really need more than one card.

I would wait 4 weeks sell off your 1080Ti and buy the high end Vega RX card. It will be cheaper than 1080 TI and will exceed 1080 Ti in performance. If you have a Ryzen cpuu you will wind up at 4K with fps about 70 fps. If you want higher buy a second card and AMD crossfire scales FAR better than SLI especially in combination with a Ryzen cpu. Even with my OLS AMD Radeon Nitro Fury I average 39 FPS in 4K games. Vega will just about double that in FPS. Upcoming reviews based on RX Vega, not Frontier Edition will validate what I am saying. RX Vega has a a design that is slightly tweaked over Frontier Edition and also has better drivers.

You have literally no idea what you're talking about.

We go threw this every amd video card release.. what are they batting the past 5 years now?

It really comes down to how far off Volta actually is. If a good deal on a 2nd 1080Ti comes up I just might take it.

A second 1080Ti would benefit for sure in a games that has an sli profile or if a custom profile is available there not doubt about that. I know for me, originally I went TI sli, but the issues I was encountering far out weighed the benefits. This was either the lack of support (i.e zero (0) gpu usage on card no. 2), screen tearing or worse performance. In games like Battlefield, I didn't have many issues with sli but that was one of the few. I think if what you are playing supports it, go for it because it certainly provides the horsepower for 4k.

As far as volta, I have read in quite a few places, it is rumored to launch at the end of 2017 ahead of schedule. Thinking a knee jerk reaction to vega possibly, similar to intel and threadripper.

A second 1080Ti would benefit for sure in a games that has an sli profile or if a custom profile is available there not doubt about that. I know for me, originally I went TI sli, but the issues I was encountering far out weighed the benefits. This was either the lack of support (i.e zero (0) gpu usage on card no. 2), screen tearing or worse performance. In games like Battlefield, I didn't have many issues with sli but that was one of the few. I think if what you are playing supports it, go for it because it certainly provides the horsepower for 4k.

As far as volta, I have read in quite a few places, it is rumored to launch at the end of 2017 ahead of schedule. Thinking a knee jerk reaction to vega possibly, similar to intel and threadripper.

Vega can't compete, so if they'd planned to move release of Volta up in response... Chances are they'll hold back now. Doubt we will see Volta any time soon.

Vega can't compete, so if they'd planned to move release of Volta up in response... Chances are they'll hold back now. Doubt we will see Volta any time soon.

Nvidia is going to stick to the release schedule they think is best for them. The days of them reacting to amd are long since past. The only time you will see that happen is if amd ever came out with s serious threat to them in both performance and price. They have neither for the foreseeable future. Nvidia as usual is competing with themselves.

Someone suggesting a RX Vega over an already bought 1080ti... I wish I knew these people in real life. I am curious if they are a troll or if they are delusional in all manners.

I'd limp along until Volta releases personally. I always had buyers remorse with mGPU.

There's no point in waiting for Vega. It's already a failure.
It doesn't matter if it's 1080Ti speed at $500. It's waaaaaay too late to the party.
It's a competitive product, it's a late product.
To me, success is releasing a product to complete so it drives the prices down and creates faster progress. It's not going to compete if it's 6 months late. It just gives Nvidia enough time to make a bunch of money.

Success is making money, it's not a cock measuring competition. If they can deliver a part at a price/performance ratio that makes every consumer rethink where their money needs to go, it will be a successful product, regardless of timing. One can only hope they learned from Fury and will deliver something cheap enough to lead to widespread adoption.

I havent played many games but with my 1080 ti, I haven't found a single one yet that I have needed to turn anything down from max setting's at 4k

I havent played many games but with my 1080 ti, I haven't found a single one yet that I have needed to turn anything down from max setting's at 4k
Then you sure as hell are not playing the most demanding games or either you have some low standards for what passes as good performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Savoy
like this
Try playing Deus Ex Mankind Divided on max 4K settings and let me know how that goes.

I agree with KickAssCop, you need 2 for 4k max settings on most games.

I would just save the money and put it towards Volta. It should be out by the end of the year and you wont have to deal with SLI issues. I went from 2 970 to a 1080 and could not be happier. Just getting rid of the micro studder was worth it.

It is up to you, do you want to play the waiting game or just grab up a 2nd 1080 Ti? I mean how bad are your frames dipping is my main concern?

Get the 2nd 1080TI now and then decide if/when Volta drops what to do. Get 1 or maybe 2 volta's depending on performance. Then sell the 1080ti's. That's what I'm doing. Oh and did I mention enjoying the performance of 2 cards for the rest of the year or more? I bet we dont see Volta until early 2018.

I picked up a modified 1080 Ti FE a few weeks ago (went from 3x 980 Ti setup). I game @ 4k, so I'm seriously thinking about getting a 2nd. A single card does OK for the most part @ 4k, but for newer games I can't run higher settings anymore.

I'm just wondering if it's actually worth buying a 2nd card anymore? SLI support seems to be less supported than it once was, but I do game @ 4k so that's an issue.

Is it worth it just to wait for Volta rather than just buying a 2nd card?

Ignore the naysayers. Definitely get a second card. I have 2 TItan XP's and get good scaling and 100% usage in my favorite games. Running GTAV at max settings 3440x1440, 4xAA, 150% resolution scaling, and full of demanding mods at 60 fps smoothly is an awesome experience, and same for many other games. I see good SLI is most of the games I play and i'm glad I did it. DO IT!

Back