Should I buy 2 new SSDs and RAID 0 or just 1 new SSD and RAID 0?

Vithar

Limp Gawd
I currently have a Corsair Force GT 90GB, which after installing SWTOR only has 20GB of free space and I wanted to get more room. I have 2 options 1) The cheaper option, I can buy a second Force GT and RAID 0 that or 2) get 2 Kingston HyperX 3k SSDs at 120 GB a piece and RAID 0 that.

I purchased my current Force GT back in late July so its not very old and SSD Life says I got at least 8 years and 10 months left on it but I'm not sure if I should pair up an "old" SSD with a new one. Also, money is sorta tight right now but if the Kingston set up will guarantee significantly more stability and speed without causing any problems I'll be inclined to do that.

Also, how do I go about transferring my current set up to the new RAID 0 set up, do I just use Achronis to clone my system into another HDD (I have an old 150 GB WD from my previous built that I can use), then set up RAID 0 and clone back from the HDD into the RAID 0 set up?

Well, it may not directly answer the question but I would just by one large enough SSD keep it at that, especially if you do care about stability. Unless you have a specific workload that profits from a very high sequential performance. I personally do not buy anything below 256GB for Windows systems anymore.

Well I want that 1000 mbp/s performance I just don't know whats the best way to get it.

I wouldn't go after 1000mb/s and instead go after what you can notice... SEEK TIME

Look at the Samsung 830 or 840 PRO 256gb drive.

You won't get 1000mb/s but you will get some insane seek times that (at least I could) you can tell the difference between Crucial M4s, and Intels.

The 512gb is even faster :)

Well I want that 1000 mbp/s performance I just don't know whats the best way to get it.

And what do you need it for?

a single SSD or raid 0 your not going to see any difference in game loading times unless there are some massive multi 100Mb+ files that need to load, which their often isnt in games.

And what do you need it for?

a single SSD or raid 0 your not going to see any difference in game loading times unless there are some massive multi 100Mb+ files that need to load, which their often isnt in games.

Well you make a point, but its still cheaper than going for the 240GB ssd.

Well, back to the initial question, both types of drives you mentioned should have about the same sequential read speed. Both types have a low random read, the most important performance index. If only your two options are possible then I would choose the cheaper one. Make sure to secure erase the older drive before creating the raid. Also make sure you get TRIM enabled. But if you would go as far as spending the money for two drives instead of one why not go the little step further and buy a single large drive?

Well omniscence because 2 drives cost only about $30 more than a single drive yet offer twice the speed, and while I know real in game performance wont be effected I've had a terrible time in some MMOs (DDO I'm looking at you) with the load screens and I heard 2 SSDs make load screens a thing of the past. I would love to never have to wait for another load screen again, and currently all my games go on my 500 GB WD Caviar cuz i got no room, I'm stuck at load screens for up to a minute at times (most times its about half that).

Back