Should I bother to DeLid?

dawnn

n00b
Hey guys,

I recently snagged a 7700k that I am cooling with a Fractal Design Celsius S36 360mm AIO cooler.

Max temps under load ( Cinabench and some Prime95) ~74c, under prime it flirts with 80c.

My question is, should I bother delidding? I have never done it before, but it seems fairly straight forward.

https://valid.x86.fr/e0lm2y --- Here is my CPU-Z Validation - I am happy with the Voltage

Thanks in advance!

IMG_3121.JPG

At this point, having already achieved 5Ghz at a decent voltage, the delid would be for the hobby.

At best, you'll get 5.1Ghz.

If you're going to invest in the newer delid tools, then I guess the process is fairly safe. You'll probably want a liquid metal TIM (Conductonaut or CL Liquid Ultra or Phobya LM) between the die and IHS.

If you're comfortable with the temps then there's no pressing need for relidding. Delidding is a whole other beast. Personally for me, I wanted the lowest temp feasible and that meant relidding.

Reactions: dawnn
like this
If you're happy with your overclock and your temperatures there's not much need.

It is very easy to do these days with tools from folks like RockItCool. My i7-7700k delidded at 5GHz with custom loop cooling doesn't go over 65°c, but that's more a bragging number than anything; it would probably hold the same overclock without the delid.

I lucked out and got a super cool running 7700K which did not need to be delidded. @ 5.0Ghz and 1.3v, temps under P95/CB top out @ 50-ish across the board. I know I'll never see temps like that on a regular. Idles @ 20-ish and gaming hits 30-ish. This is being cooled with a Coolgate 480 and a Raystorm. :D

If I wanted to delid I would use the Rocket tool over the razor method.

Reactions: dawnn
like this
Unfortunately I did not luck out with a cool 4790K. Damn thing was hitting 100c at times and this was with a Corsair 100i GTX watercooler! I just did the delid procedure, exactly like Kyle posted minus the delid tool (did the bench vice technique) and the temps were cut in half. Hell, there wasn't even any TIM between the processor and the the lid, it was all pushed out to the sides. Now I stay in the 50 range while playing games such as GR Wildlands maxed out at 2560x1440. In my case, it was a necessity not just an option.

Unfortunately I did not luck out with a cool 4790K. Damn thing was hitting 100c at times and this was with a Corsair 100i GTX watercooler! I just did the delid procedure, exactly like Kyle posted minus the delid tool (did the bench vice technique) and the temps were cut in half. Hell, there wasn't even any TIM between the processor and the the lid, it was all pushed out to the sides. Now I stay in the 50 range while playing games such as GR Wildlands maxed out at 2560x1440. In my case, it was a necessity not just an option.

That's exactly what I did with my 4790K. Used a vice and it took less than a minute. Mine wasn't hitting anywhere near 100C but the delid did take off 15-20C.

Back