Should I be using AV on Linux?

wtburnette

2[H]4U
I know that Linux has much less in the way of malware and viruses, but I know there are still some for the platform. I've recently installed Ubuntu 12.04LTS on a spare system to learn and to study for my upcoming Linux+ cert. I just want to verify I'm using the system as I should and taking the necessary precautions.

No its almost impossible to get viruses,spyware\malware on any Distro of Linux and you should upgrade to Ubuntu 13 like i did Sir Enjoy

Honestly? Focus on proper user account security, and keep your system patched, and you shouldn't have to worry about linux viruses at this time.

Security, however, is a moving target. Just because linux is largely safe from malware does not mean it will remain so. You have to constantly keep up with what's happening, and understand why linux is currently not an attractive target to malware authors. When that inevitably changes, we'll have to adjust.

Thanks for the thoughts, it's appreciated. Fightingfi, why do you recommend upgrading my Ubuntu? Is there a compelling reason? I find that I like the interface on 12.04, which is why I went with this version. I'd appreciate your reasons for suggesting I upgrade.

@wtburnette: Most AV on Linux are AV to clean mail/filesystem before Windows can touch those items :).

Upgrade from 12.04 depends on you - because it is a LTS version you could stay with it for long enough, of course with the updates turned on to keep your system secure. You don't have to upgrade to non-LTS 13.xx versions.

I might try create a LiveUSB of the latest Ubuntu 13.xx to see what I think about it, but I've been happy enough with the version I have I don't really see a reason to change it. Will definitely look into it though.

If you have a SAMBA share or something with windows computers you should probably run AV

If you have a SAMBA share or something with windows computers you should probably run AV

Nope, not doing anything like that, so I should be safe ;)

Created a LiveUSB of Ubuntu 13.04, but I don't really care for the changes over 12.04LTS, so I'll probably stick with that on the system I have it setup on. Still have the LiveUSB to play with to get familiar with the changes in case I change my mind.

Back