Shots fired. EA says PC owners don't upgrade enough.

I'm pretty sure through its online service and hardware survey EA has a much better idea than anyone on this forum of what the average FIFA player is using for a PC.

This [H], and its a thread about EA which has a title taken out of context.
I'd bet 75% of the people who posted in this thread didn't read the article and just came in here to RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE..
EA BAD!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
This [H], and its a thread about EA which has a title taken out of context.
I'd bet 75% of the people who posted in this thread didn't read the article and just came in here to RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE..
EA BAD!

:rolleyes:

That's pretty much the [H] way. I dislike EA as much as the next guy, but a lot of the people around here are fucking allergic to context or rational thought. All they know are emotional poorly thought out responses and circlejerks that would put Reddit to shame for their intensity.

Check out the frontpage news shit, no one even reads the article.

Doesn't help that we have people who post trollbait threads like this without any context whatsoever just to try and rile up another circlejerk.

I sort of see their point. If 90% of their customers are playing on an i5 with integrated graphics (in contrast to something like BF3, where I'd guess that most people are running a quad core with a discreet GPU), why would they bother releasing it if said engine required a high end CPU/GPU?

I'm actually pretty surprised that they still offer it on PC considering sports games generally don't do very well on it.

This is actually very much accurate. The overall market is overwhelmingly on integrated GPU's still, HD3000-HD4000 level at best and some discrete ones that are about that level, for the PC. Enthusiasts with awesome rigs and GTX 780 cards oc'd are a minor percentage, as are even mid-high end cards (GTX 650 Ti Boost or above).

That's pretty much the [H] way. I dislike EA as much as the next guy, but a lot of the people around here are fucking allergic to context or rational thought. All they know are emotional poorly thought out responses and circlejerks that would put Reddit to shame for their intensity.

Doesn't help that we have people who post trollbait threads like this without any context whatsoever just to try and rile up another circlejerk.

That sums it up quite well.

If the game is good, I'll buy it. Doesn't matter who develops or publishes it. I'm not going to let a "name" stop me from playing something I enjoy.

What!? You aren't a castles-in-the-sky naive idealist!? BURN IT! BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!! RABBLE RABBLE! :)

Different demographics. They specifically said FIFA players don't upgrade their PCs enough; it wasn't a blanket statement. :rolleyes:

FIFA games are HUGE in internet cafe's in South and Central America. Most net cafe's aren't rocking 660's @19x1080 at max settings.

EA is not going to rest on its laurels after winning "Worst Company In America" two year in a row. They are going to win it again next year.

EA is not going to rest on its laurels after winning "Worst Company In America" two year in a row. They are going to win it again next year.

Being a profitable company isn't a popularity contest with people who by and large have no clue of what they're even talking/thinking/spewing bile about.

This [H], and its a thread about EA which has a title taken out of context. I'd bet 75% of the people who posted in this thread didn't read the article and just came in here to RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE..
EA BAD! :rolleyes:
Yea, but it's even worse if the words "windows" and "8" are together in any frontpage news title. Look what happened to the article discussion on the BF4 beta. smh...

Why can't you use those numbers? :confused:

I honestly don't see what would be too much different from Steams data and Origins data. Either one should be a pretty good indicator of what most "PC Gamers" are running in their rigs... or much more so than anecdotal evidence at least I guess.

I doubt you'd see many sane people running a dedicated Steam rig alongside a dedicated Origin rig lol :p

Edit: Let me put it this way. With how popular Fifa and Football is in the UK and Europe (as you said... bigger than COD).... and if the majority of users are running high end rigs like you say, why in the world would EA just throw that money out the window instead of capitalizing on it? They're in the business to make money.

Not only that... but since it's an EA game (that's HUGE in the world), wouldn't EA want it for an exclusive to promote origin?

Dr. Stevil, the issue is this. They are basing this decision off of numbers and stats you have no access to. I will believe the company over a random nobody(no offense) on the internet. The best we can do as forum'ers is try to get a vague idea with the tools and information available to us. So I am confident that EA has a good idea of the people playing their games and the systems they use. I am also confident in their ability to filter down those usage stats per game or genre.

But it should be no surprise that computer gamers don't play many sports games on the pc. Sports games require some knowledge of the sport which typically means interaction with the outside world using your physical attributes. These are not things that are typically high up on the computer gamer's list of things they like to do. There are exceptions to that rule but they are few. Few enough that EA does not see the need to to try to make as much money off of them.

Last edited:
:rolleyes: You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
EA posts $381 million loss
Today's 3 Worst Stocks

He was talking about the concept. I don't know why you didn't understand that. He wasn't speaking about specifically EA, but the concept that making money isn't directly related to appeasing peons. Yea he prolly thought EA was in the black but that wasn't his point. Matter fact, the gaming industry as a whole is bleeding red. I haven't checked in a while but I bet more than half of the major video game companies are not posting profits. After this post though, you have motivated me to do just that. Thanks! :D

It wont. my 580 gtx is 2-3 years old and is dx11. Windows 8 is only dx11 i believe? Plenty of people have dx11 cards. DX11 did not come out yesterday. it came out 4-5 years ago?

How much did BF3 suffer in sales after being dx11 only and coming out nearly 2 years ago?

The GTX 580 is a flagship GPU, how many people own that card out of millions?
I bet you more people still own GTX 8800/9800/200 and ATI 1000/3000/4000 series cards more than GTX 400/500/600/700 and ATI/AMD 5000/6000/7000 combined.

The USA isn't the target market for FIFA. Many countries that worship futbol/soccer that aren't technologically current or prices are crazy high for hardware, that's EA's target market.

i would be interested in nhl, but only on pc. since they stopped making those years ago, i have lost interest anyway.

He was talking about the concept. I don't know why you didn't understand that. He wasn't speaking about specifically EA, but the concept that making money isn't directly related to appeasing peons. Yea he prolly thought EA was in the black but that wasn't his point. Matter fact, the gaming industry as a whole is bleeding red. I haven't checked in a while but I bet more than half of the major video game companies are not posting profits. After this post though, you have motivated me to do just that. Thanks! :D

Exactly, thank you, and it wasn't my point at all that EA is or isn't profitable currently.

i would be interested in nhl, but only on pc. since they stopped making those years ago, i have lost interest anyway.

I'm with you on that!!

I hate to admit that I understand what EA is saying, but still it does seem like a lame excuse. If they were to move on with the newer engine. Who's to say those same people wouldn't be interested in an upgrade to play that game? I know I upgraded a system or two just to play a particular game I was excited about.. coughdoom3cough..lol but I know us on [H] are a minority..

a lower end PC is still better then or at least equal to a current gen console...console owners can't upgrade so I don't see EA's point

His "point" is that he would like console owners to believe the ridiculous yarn that only "consoles" are "powerful enough" to run this software, and so as console owners people should feel privileged, "special," even, to ante-up the $60-$70 EA condescends to charge them for this software. Console owners, who generally don't know the difference between what's in their consoles and what's in a computer, are the perfect audience for this kind of yarn--it wouldn't work on PC folks because as a rule they know too much. The console community is a sitting duck for this kind of crazy talk.

I didn't really understand the general angst about EA until I started reading these kinds of patently false statements coming out of various EA officers of late. These people aren't being fired for their blatant public prevarication in the company name, so the only conclusion to make is that EA is firmly behind all of it. What a bunch of losers. They'll not see a nickel from me.

I'm with you on that!!

I hate to admit that I understand what EA is saying, but still it does seem like a lame excuse. If they were to move on with the newer engine. Who's to say those same people wouldn't be interested in an upgrade to play that game? I know I upgraded a system or two just to play a particular game I was excited about.. coughdoom3cough..lol but I know us on [H] are a minority..

The demographics are different, notice the game you listed for example.

EA is pushing Frostbite 3 and cross promoting with AMD on the PC side with BF4 and targeting more so the hardware enthusiasts.

The demographics are different.

yeah I'm aware of that, just a little wishful thinking ;) I play ice hockey, but still would enjoy some videogame hockey against my younger brother. It's a shame, but like I said I understand what they're saying. I'm not the least bit upset.

:rolleyes: You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.
EA posts $381 million loss
Today's 3 Worst Stocks

Most of the "Worst Companies in America" from that poll are insanely profitable. Every time someone brings up that poll, God does nothing because he doesn't exist, but one poll vote-bombed to fuck by /v/ doesn't really mean much.

EA should be more concerned with the quality of their games than with their popularity with /v/.

I explained the context of the article as brief as possible. I didn't say that the owners of FIFA need to upgrade their PCs before Ignite supersedes the old engine. EA did. So, please read before you call me a troll. :)

And it was a nice little article about why EA made that decision. I thought it would foster some discussion since for the last year there hasn't been a reason to upgrade. Heck a Q6600 can still get by if you OC it. I didn't post a long elaborate synopsis of the article because I wanted you'll to discuss the merits of the decision regardless of like / hate for EA.

Do these new engines require more horsepower than the average user is willing to shell out for? Does the engine or the software come first before we have to upgrade? Chicken and egg scenario. Since these new engines are tweaked for consoles, how far ahead of the console do we need to upgrade? EA said that even though they were using x86 hardware, the OS isn't, thus the need for beefier PCs. That implies a lack of efficiency when running it on Windows.

I'm not mad at all. Just slightly miffed that you blamed me for people not liking EA. They made their own bed, and have to lay in it as far as public relations go. It's not my job to sugarcoat things. It did seem to me that they fired back at the fans by stating their position so the consumers can get a full understanding of their position. I kinda don't blame them, but at the same time I see them perpetuating the situation by not porting the engine over. Honestly the engine is so advanced that it's impossible to port to the PC and run on low enough settings that their player base can enjoy the game? Is it really that hard?

Or do they see this as another wasted expenditure and not worth the goodwill it would bring to the FIFA player base. What does generating goodwill do for a publicly traded corporation? Valve does a lot of goodwill gestures and I've spent so much money with them it's ridiculous because of it. But they are a private corporation and not beholding to stockholders like EA is.

Wonder what would happen if they went public? Would they feel the same pressure to cut corners like so many other companies? Michael Dell wants to take his corporation private to avoid these very pitfalls and get back to selling PCs instead of appeasing stockholders. Just something to think about when you consider the bigger picture.

Well keep discussing. And everyone try not to get too upset if someone doesn't see it the same way you do. ;)

its just an excuse not to release it on PC where players are more likely to mod/update the rosters so that they don't have to buy basically the same game every year just for the new rosters and players.

This makes sense but only for the FIFA market, they still release new fifa on PS2 because it is still a popular system in less developed countries where soccer is king.

Every Anus is an executive there. Sticky beak arrogance. Glad I didn't pay for crisis 3. Have to get special permission to play Crysis two because one of the Every Anus group thought that limited activations would be rockin. Best scenario, Every Anus gets so bunged up with itself it sinks.

You've got to be delusional to believe that the next gen console is so powerful that the average PC couldn't keep up. This is nothing more than a common practice to promote the console by giving the console exclusivity.

I came here to read some raging techies go ballistic on this topic, and it was muy bueno.....

EA. You just love to keep my at bay from your games don't you? Amazing.

Your foot must be a tiny , bloody stump with the amount of times you've managed to shoot it EA.

Keep making me laugh. When the next gen consoles don't make enough "profit" for you .. you'll come crawling back and we won't have you.

The GTX 580 is a flagship GPU, how many people own that card out of millions?
I bet you more people still own GTX 8800/9800/200 and ATI 1000/3000/4000 series cards more than GTX 400/500/600/700 and ATI/AMD 5000/6000/7000 combined.

The USA isn't the target market for FIFA. Many countries that worship futbol/soccer that aren't technologically current or prices are crazy high for hardware, that's EA's target market.

You can easily get a GPU today for £100 that is as fast as a 580. like a 7780 or something along that lines to easily get a 580 performance card. it was a flagship card 3-4 years ago, tech advances on pc much faster then consoles.

You can now get 680gtx performance for £300 or less compared to £450+ only a year ago.

i bet you any money that you will further get 680gtx performance next year for £200 or less.

Fifa is not the target audience of USA, i am the one who first stated that but what about the millions who play fifa outside the USA? the world is soo much bigger then USA, you simply need to open your eyes a bit more.

Speaking of upgrade, time to install my new Samsung 840 pro 512GB!
Who cares about EA anyway?

Back