Shopping for new gaming monitor technology

thenewrick

Limp Gawd
Now that CES is over I'm hoping to find a gaming monitor. I'm looking for something in the 22-24 inch 300-500$ price range. Anyone see any decent new monitors show up, or is old technology still popular?

Now that CES is over I'm hoping to find a gaming monitor. I'm looking for something in the 22-24 inch 300-500$ price range. Anyone see any decent new monitors show up, or is old technology still popular?

Im sure you can get a non-TN panel for that price range. Some of the suggestions here seems nice after I looked at them. I like that Dell monitor mentioned, but check them out for yourself.

Go with a 120hz monitor... you wont be sorry :)

I think asus has a 24" or 26" 1080p coming out soon. Viewsonic and Samsung both have a 22" 120hz display that you can buy now but the native resolution is only 1680x1050. I downgraded from my 28" but I'm glad I did. It sucks not having the larger native resolution (and screen size), but the increased clarity in fast paced games (especially twitch shooters) outweighs the shortfalls.

I really wish more manufacturers would get on board and make it a standard. It really is amazing how fluid it looks if your video card can pump out 120+fps. It makes going back to a 60hz display (for gaming) painful

Go with a 120hz monitor... you wont be sorry :)

I think asus has a 24" or 26" 1080p coming out soon. Viewsonic and Samsung both have a 22" 120hz display that you can buy now but the native resolution is only 1680x1050. I downgraded from my 28" but I'm glad I did. It sucks not having the larger native resolution (and screen size), but the increased clarity in fast paced games (especially twitch shooters) outweighs the shortfalls.

I really wish more manufacturers would get on board and make it a standard. It really is amazing how fluid it looks if your video card can pump out 120+fps. It makes going back to a 60hz display (for gaming) painful

That means,if i play some games on lcd tv with 100 hz,i see the difference between 60 hz ( my monitor ) and 100 hz on the lcd tv ??

Where could I buy one of the new Asus monitors when they are announced? Which vendor sells new monitors 1st?

That means,if i play some games on lcd tv with 100 hz,i see the difference between 60 hz ( my monitor ) and 100 hz on the lcd tv ??

no because a TV doesn't exist (that I know of) that accepts more than a 60hz signal input. The monitors can accept up to 120hz input which is night and day difference from viewing it on a 60hz display if you have the hardware to actually push 120fps to the monitor :)

Where could I buy one of the new Asus monitors when they are announced? Which vendor sells new monitors 1st?

I don't know, honestly. There was a thread about it on here a few weeks ago, you can try searching for it. It was pretty ugly looking, but the specs made it seem like a real nice gaming monitor

I can't really find any new 24 inch gaming monitors for 2010, they all seem to have some extra weird feature I'd never need.

no because a TV doesn't exist (that I know of) that accepts more than a 60hz signal input. The monitors can accept up to 120hz input which is night and day difference from viewing it on a 60hz display if you have the hardware to actually push 120fps to the monitor :)

I don't know, honestly. There was a thread about it on here a few weeks ago, you can try searching for it. It was pretty ugly looking, but the specs made it seem like a real nice gaming monitor

I have the GTX 285 videocard. But,tell me,please: excepting the games, is there any difference between 60 - 120 Hz ?
Do you know some 24" monitors with 120 hz ?

Are you talking about watching movies and such? There isn't much difference in video, IMO, but games and general desktop usage will benefit from a 120hz display. The mouse movement and windows animations appear much more fluid... And like I said, games really benefit a lot from it. It's something that you have to try to really understand the difference

i wouldn't recommend one to someone that was using it for professional photo editing or anything like that, but for gaming, it really makes sense to invest in one

as for looking at a 24", that acer monitor I posted above is just that :) I have no idea when it'll hit retailers though. It's on Acers website (do a google search for it) but I cannot view their store page here, so I have no idea if you can buy it through them yet. It's supposed to be available this month though

Last edited:
Yes, the Acer Aspire GD245HQ looks quite interesting. I hope it's reviewed by gamers soon, and sets sale.

Back