Shopping for internet...help?

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I am looking for some more serious internets...for my home. I am looking to find something where I can host a server or 4, have an external IP, and BANDWIDTH.

Any ideas? I am in the sticks and can't find shit. My zip is 55355. ATM, we have considered co-locating a server, however, I don't want to pay for overages, and I would rather be in arms reach of my gear.

So far, I dropped an email to a local ISP, dropped one to speakeasy, and one to my current ISP with what I am after.

And your budget is?
Short of a T1 or T3 (t1 starts at $600 here in Austin last I checked which was years ago),
you aren't gonna get any decent upload speeds. I have the highest level of internet available from RR in my area short of business class and I have a peak of 200 kilobytes a second upload.

ALL internet connections have an "external" IP by which I think you mean public IP. Some can give you multiple public IPs.

How important are these servers? Hosting critical servers with non-guaranteed internet is a real gamble.

I might look into co-locating and putting a full arsenal of remote gear on them. Remote Access Power strips, and KVMoIP. Then host with a full service provider who can do little things for you.

If you haven't purchased the servers already I'd go with off the shelf servers like Dell x950 series so that anyone can work on them and be familiar with them in a pinch.

lol litchfield isn't the sticks homey!!!

I work at USFamily.Net in Golden Valley. I get calls from that area all the time and Qwest DSL (usfam resells qwest) saying cable isn't available and most of the time qwest dsl isnt either. I would check in with Comcast. Might be your only hardwired bet. If you have a qwest phone number, pm me it... if you dont, give me your EXACT address (if you give me 1234 1st st and it's 1234 1st st N, it won't pull up) and I can see what's available for DSL there. USFamily wont be able to help, only provide 1.5mb but I can see if you can get something faster. I highly doubt fttn is available there but I can let you know.

Back