ShockValue's New Home Build Log

For 2009 Washington State code:

All inside GFCI plugs (in fact ALL plugs) have to now be "tamper resistant". They have a mechenism where you have to insert both prongs of a plug into the socket at the same time for it to open, otherwise little plastic covers prevent you from sticking things in there (like forks and bobby pins).
- All my regular plugs were Tamper Resistant, but I didn't realize they made TR GFCI plugs as well since they weren't on the shelf when I went shopping the first time.

All external GFCI plugs (including ones in weather tight sealed bubble covers) must be both Tamper resistant (see rule #1) and weather resistant. I don't know the difference between a weather resistant one and a regular one, but he says they hold up to humidity and moisture better.
- All my external plugs were GFCI and in code-rated bubble covers, but they weren't WR.

I passed my electrical inspection today though after replacing those plugs. Yippee!

Sounds painful but since you were just schooled in GFCI plugs, care to share with the rest of us what the difference is between those three? :D

The proper placement mostly. If I recall correctly, you need GFCI on any kitchen, bath, and outdoor plug circuits (or anywhere there is moisture). Hence the normal GFCI, tamper resistant, and outdoor tamper resistant.

For 2009 Washington State code:

All inside GFCI plugs (in fact ALL plugs) have to now be "tamper resistant". They have a mechenism where you have to insert both prongs of a plug into the socket at the same time for it to open, otherwise little plastic covers prevent you from sticking things in there (like forks and bobby pins).
- All my regular plugs were Tamper Resistant, but I didn't realize they made TR GFCI plugs as well since they weren't on the shelf when I went shopping the first time.

All external GFCI plugs (including ones in weather tight sealed bubble covers) must be both Tamper resistant (see rule #1) and weather resistant. I don't know the difference between a weather resistant one and a regular one, but he says they hold up to humidity and moisture better.
- All my external plugs were GFCI and in code-rated bubble covers, but they weren't WR.

I passed my electrical inspection today though after replacing those plugs. Yippee!

While I'm not positive, I bet the weather resistant GFCI have a conformal coat over the circuit board. Basically they coat the circuit board in epoxy after assembly. Without this humidity can cause corrosion where the legs of components attach to the circuit board. What I find most disturbing about this post is that you have to have a weatherproof plug inside a sealed enclosure, but I guess that's not that surprising.

So I guess Washington state has regulations above and beyond NEC? Or is this in NEC2008 as well?

The proper placement mostly. If I recall correctly, you need GFCI on any kitchen, bath, and outdoor plug circuits (or anywhere there is moisture). Hence the normal GFCI, tamper resistant, and outdoor tamper resistant.

and within 6 feet of a counter top or wet area

Back