Shocker: Sony UDM movie format failing to excite gamers

Weazmeister

Limp Gawd
Any of us surprised that we didn't like a new format pushed on us, when it was not needed or wanted?
-----------------
31 March 2006 - Sony's Universal Media Disc, used in its PlayStation Portable handheld console, days look to be numbered as a movie format if reports in the Hollywood Report are to be believed.

According to the magazine Hollywood support for the format as a film medium are waning.

The article says that that Paramount, Universal and Imagine have dropped UMD releases completely, with one Universal exec saying: "Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb - like Blu-ray".
Read more...

I never really liked the UMD's, and I never really understood why people would even buy them for PSP. I can understand their use for games but as a medium for music and movies they seem useless.

But honestly I hope sony comes up with something better for their next PSP because I have found the UMD's break easily, and are not nearly as dependeble as the NDS memory sticks.

The shot against Blu Ray was uncalled for though.

I don't see why anyone would buy them. Half the resolution and more than the price of the DVD. Horrible deal.

I think the problem with it was that its so simple to simply convert the DVD's you already have and put them on the memory stick (and memory stick prices have dropped way way down since the PSP came out), so theres really no reason to shell out the cash for the UMD Movies.

Staples said:
I don't see why anyone would buy them. Half the resolution and more than the price of the DVD. Horrible deal.

You forgot the part about less features as well.

Weazmeister said:
Any of us surprised that we didn't like a new format pushed on us, when it was not needed or wanted?
-----------------
31 March 2006 - Sony's Universal Media Disc, used in its PlayStation Portable handheld console, days look to be numbered as a movie format if reports in the Hollywood Report are to be believed.

According to the magazine Hollywood support for the format as a film medium are waning.

The article says that that Paramount, Universal and Imagine have dropped UMD releases completely, with one Universal exec saying: "Sales are near zilch. It's another Sony bomb - like Blu-ray".
Read more...

lol, sounds like sony hurt his feelings or something.

Jester FPS said:

Your feelings would be hurt if your Printed:Sold ratio was as ridiculous as theirs.

The problem with UMD is that you're effectively paying more for something with crappier quality that you can only play on PSP. I think that sentence pretty much sums it up right there.

Jester FPS said:

Sony has a tendency of doing that.

it just never made sense to me why umds are so expensive. Its clearly more limited than a dvd, so it should cost less, plain and simple. It wouldnt be bad if they cost $10. Honestly though, if you want to blame someone, how bout looking at the studios that release movies on umd that absolutely nobody would ever buy. I wonder how many copies of rent they sold...

thats why i got a 1gig stick... less expensive than 5 umd movies

Spaceman_Spiff said:
it just never made sense to me why umds are so expensive. Its clearly more limited than a dvd, so it should cost less, plain and simple. It wouldnt be bad if they cost $10. Honestly though, if you want to blame someone, how bout looking at the studios that release movies on umd that absolutely nobody would ever buy. I wonder how many copies of rent they sold...
I completely expected sony to bomb on the UMD video sales... Selling UMD movies, which are EXCLUSIVE to PSP, less resolution and limited than a dvd, and then their $30 a pop on top of that! Come on sony, you should know better... well maybe they wouldnt know better heh. $10 a pop would have been good like spaceman said, $30 you can go buy another game or two for that much! Ahh well

I tought I already posted in this thread. O well.

Anyway I hate the umd idea. If sony had a cheap way to watch a umd on the tv or something then maybe it would have had a chance. UMD movies are in many cases more expensive then a dvd and you can't use them in anything but the psp. What really made me mad was when you walk into a store the movies take 2/3s of the space where games should be. I only hope it fails and they focus on games on a game system.

Weazmeister said:
It's another Sony bomb - like Blu-ray".

BluRay hasn't even been even on the market yet and its already bombed? :) BluRay holds a lot more data than HD so it may not bomb. If it does it will because HD is cheaper to produce and not due to inferior technology. Just like Beta vs VHS.

Gatticus said:
BluRay hasn't even been even on the market yet and its already bombed? :) BluRay holds a lot more data than HD so it may not bomb. If it does it will because HD is cheaper to produce and not due to inferior technology. Just like Beta vs VHS.

true.. but.. UMD is a bomb

The only UMD movie I have is Dukes of Hazard because it was $9 at EB (preowned) and my wife wanted to watch it while I drove on a 10 hour car trip over Xmas. Since then I've baught a 2gig Sandisk that I can rip 4 DVD's to. Watching from the MS uses less power and has zero noise (from the UMD drive accessing the movie and spinning) which makes it a much better alternative. If there are some decent UMD movies in the bargain bins at stores, I may buy some though.

Also, I believe a lot of UMD movies were not presented in its proper OAR as well. Probably not the reason it is dying but definitely not a bonus for it. I have to admit though I dont believe that qoute from Universal. NO way they would ever step on BLuray like that.

Back