Shocker: MPAA Writes U.S. Anti-Piracy Bill?

Or protest, and get called a bunch of whiny hippies who need to find a job, get pepper sprayed in the face, hit with batons, and thrown in jail.

we live in an age, where your voice can be heard on the internet, safe from pepper spray.
Blog about it, tell your friends on facebook, comment on the CNN articles, etc.
If you feel you have an opinion that needs to be heard, than SHARE IT! No Hiding!:D

we live in an age, where your voice can be heard on the internet, safe from pepper spray.
Blog about it, tell your friends on facebook, comment on the CNN articles, etc.
If you feel you have an opinion that needs to be heard, than SHARE IT! No Hiding!:D
No, you still get bullied by the authorities over your opinion, even if you do it on the internet.

Lobbying should be illegal. Not sure why bribing is considered legal still. Corruption at its max.

Whats your view on the Financial Institutions, Investment Houses and of course our Capitalists Corporations who received trillions of dollars of Taxpayer Funded Bailouts.
The 1% got bailed out because not doing so would make life suck even more for the "99%". The 1% would have been fine either way, with or without bailouts because of their innate ability to land on their feet and make money.

What's more Evil?
The MPAA / RIAA or the 2012 National Defense Act?
2012 is feeling more like the end of the world all the time...

With the way the economy and political powers are heading, 2012 wouldn't be too surprising.

The 1% got bailed out because not doing so would make life suck even more for the "99%". The 1% would have been fine either way, with or without bailouts because of their innate ability to land on their feet and make money.
Funny how the solution to them risking all our money (plus the money they didn't have thanks to fractional reserve banking) is to give them more of our money. It seems like a win-win for everyone at the top. Gambling on someone else's dime and keeping the winnings without eating the losses...I'd love to get a gig like that.

But please try to make this distinction: Unions in general are like credit unions, they don't work as much for a profit as they do for the welfare of their members. While what corporations and unions do is the same, as it is lobbying, the end result is worlds apart. Unions are generally trying to even out of imbalance in worker's wages and increased productivity, so that the average American isn't 2x as productive as 35 years ago, but making about the same income. I see unions as working toward a worthwhile end, corporations I do not.

Not even close. Most Unions are more like the Mafia, especially the public sector unions.

A perfect example was when a union leader out here in California was caught making an honest statement.

“When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start representing the interests of school children.”

This notorious quote was from Albert Shanker, President of the Teachers Union (United Federation of Teachers) from 1964 to 1984 as well as President of the Teachers Union (American Federation of Teachers) from 1974 to 1997.

The MPAA are just like Rambus, only greedier on a much larger scale.

A profit motive is as honest as it gets, no hidden agendas, no backroom deals, they just come out and say that it's about making money. Profit is a good thing, profit is what drives innovation and frankly civilization as a whole. If it weren't for profit and self-interest we would still be living in caves clubbing each other over women.
John Galt, is that you?

Please, the bottom 99% is just a dramatization for effect used by some folks who would rather live in a tent and complain all day about how everything is not their own fault than take charge of their life.
It's no dramatization. The term represents the real and growing underclass of first world citizens.

I am an immigrant. I came to the US some 15 years ago with a suitcase, a bicycle, an old computer, and $600 in my pocket. Now I am upper middle class and no one handed anything to me. I had to work for my success. I am the 53% that pays taxes, I got nothing against the 1% on the top because they worked and they keep working to maintain the position on the top, they earned their right to be there.

I can't stand the people who are either lazy or inept at life and just want government handouts. If you don't like your life then change it. This is the land of opportunity, if you want to be in the 1% you can do it, all you have to do is put forth the effort to get there.
Yea bro, we can totally all be billionaires if we just work really hard. :rolleyes:

Your opinions are so far removed from reality I can barely begin to comprehend how someone can believe that stuff.

I'm torn between agreeing and disagreeing. There was (and is) wanton fraud. Why not bail out Enron? Aren't the banks more systemically threatening now?

Why not spend $10 trillion on infrastructure, teachers, technology (to compete with Asia), higher education, healthcare (Medicare for baby boomers, etc.)?

I'm torn between agreeing and disagreeing. There was (and is) wanton fraud. Why not bail out Enron? Aren't the banks more systemically threatening now?

Why not spend $10 trillion on infrastructure, teachers, technology (to compete with Asia), higher education, healthcare (Medicare for baby boomers, etc.)?

Why do we have to compete with Asia?

Yea bro, we can totally all be billionaires if we just work really hard. :rolleyes:
Actually ..., no you can't.
Working hard has nothing to do with getting that rich. To get there you need to work smart and more importantly to have other people working for you to generate value.

The thing is that most people are simply not capable to devise a plan to get there, but that's hardly the fault of the rich people.

Do you own a company that a larger company is interested in buying? Did you create or do you own any patents? Do you own any other assets that generate royalties? Did you establish yourself in the financial community so you get to buy into companies before they go public? No? Who's fault is that?

Get Ron Paul in office. Problem solved. He'll veto all this crap.

Get Ron Paul in office. Problem solved. He'll veto all this crap.
I used to think Ron Paul is a nutjob with his whole "The Church should be in charge of this and that.", but once you remove the religious views the rest of it is actually starting to make more sense than the combined opinions of all other candidates and the current President.

I used to think Ron Paul is a nutjob with his whole "The Church should be in charge of this and that.", but once you remove the religious views the rest of it is actually starting to make more sense than the combined opinions of all other candidates and the current President.

He's the only honest and logically consistent person in Congress. The problem is he has 50% nutjob mixed in with 50% great ideas. The one reason that I might even vote for him as President is that most of his "nutjob" stuff is legislative, which as President he can push for but doesn't have true power over. The foreign policy stuff, which is the President's bailiwick, is where I like what Ron Paul has to say, as well as setting the focus of the AG's office, which again is good stuff.

Actually ..., no you can't.
Working hard has nothing to do with getting that rich.
I'm shocked to see one of you finally admit that.
To get there you need to work smart and more importantly to have other people working for you to generate value.

The thing is that most people are simply not capable to devise a plan to get there, but that's hardly the fault of the rich people.

Do you own a company that a larger company is interested in buying? Did you create or do you own any patents? Do you own any other assets that generate royalties? Did you establish yourself in the financial community so you get to buy into companies before they go public? No? Who's fault is that?
Sure these are all wealth generating methods, but they're not available to everyone and anyone. It has nothing to do with ability. There are plenty of capable people that could as you say "devise a plan to get there" if the opportunity were there. It used to be there, but the fact is for most it's not any longer. In some rare cases the opportunity and circumstance does fall into place for a lucky few, but not many.

You're falling into the trap of idealizing the American dream that vanished decades ago. That's not how this country works anymore.

Just keep waving the flag, and wearing the "land of the free T-shirts" and it will all be fine.
The second you realize you were bought, sold, and packaged, you might have to actually believe in that NRA card in your back pocket.

Guys, find out about ALEC, or the American Legislative Exchange Council. Corporations pay membership fees of tens of thousands a year so they can discuss legislation with politicians, most of whom being Republican. Many of the most radical bills that we scratch our head about have come verbatim from this unholy alliance. We need to get money out of politics, as I've said many times.

http://alecexposed.org/wiki/ALEC_Exposed
FYI - that is for STATE legislators, not Congress. And the only reason there would be more Republicans than Democrats is because the people of the 50 states have overwhelmingly elected more Republicans.

That organization is about STATES RIGHTS.

But please try to make this distinction: Unions in general are like credit unions, they don't work as much for a profit as they do for the welfare of their members. While what corporations and unions do is the same, as it is lobbying, the end result is worlds apart. Unions are generally trying to even out of imbalance in worker's wages and increased productivity, so that the average American isn't 2x as productive as 35 years ago, but making about the same income. I see unions as working toward a worthwhile end, corporations I do not.

BULLSPIT. Unions waste MILLIONS on elections and campaigns on issues that have absolutely nothing to do with workers rights or wages. Union campaign spending runs the absolute gambit of every leftie cause there is, the vast majority of which do not impact union workers at all.

Not even close. Most Unions are more like the Mafia, especially the public sector unions.

A perfect example was when a union leader out here in California was caught making an honest statement.

“When school children start paying union dues, that 's when I'll start representing the interests of school children.”

This notorious quote was from Albert Shanker, President of the Teachers Union (United Federation of Teachers) from 1964 to 1984 as well as President of the Teachers Union (American Federation of Teachers) from 1974 to 1997.

As harsh as that quote might sound when taken out of context (and if the guy even said it to begin with), there's really nothing wrong or devious about it like you're implying. Teachers unions are organized to protect workers from unfair labor practices, they are not primarily in place for the benefit of students and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

BULLSPIT. Unions waste MILLIONS on elections and campaigns on issues that have absolutely nothing to do with workers rights or wages. Union campaign spending runs the absolute gambit of every leftie cause there is, the vast majority of which do not impact union workers at all.

Can you give an example?

so if all these private companies are writing all our legislation....

WHAT THE FUCK DO WE PAY OUR REPRESENTATIVES FOR?

To enrich themselves.. I was hoping that the one outcome of Occupy Wall Street was/is a push for a Constitutional Amendment banning the idea of money=speech... this is the root cause of a lot of the financial crisis and the kleptocracy we call the US Congress.

To enrich themselves.. I was hoping that the one outcome of Occupy Wall Street was/is a push for a Constitutional Amendment banning the idea of money=speech... this is the root cause of a lot of the financial crisis and the kleptocracy we call the US Congress.

Right. As soon as you say money = speech, the obvious converse is that no money = no speech.

FYI - that is for STATE legislators, not Congress. And the only reason there would be more Republicans than Democrats is because the people of the 50 states have overwhelmingly elected more Republicans.

That organization is about STATES RIGHTS.

Out of the 104 areas that ALEC has committees for, 103 out of 104 are headed by a Republican. The proportion is still very biased.

It's actually about getting a corporation's interests to be enacted verbatim, regardless of how well the end result will work out for the American people.

Please read about some of the model legislation that ALEC has come up with, you'll be a more informed person for having done it.

If the entertainment industry wanted to protect itself, they could stop piggy backing on the standards of the computer industry and instead make up their own standard for media. Were people making perfect copies of Laserdisc, or VHS, or cassette on their computers? No, because the computer industry did not have any use for those mediums. But as soon as the entertainment industry jumped on the CD, DVD, and Bluray train and those standards were available intandem as data standards then the ability to protect everything went out the door.

You want convergence and convience, well heres the downside.

Can you give an example?

You can google "obama union donations" and read for yourself, but heres a taste. **** Not aimed specifically at Obama, you were asking about donations to politcal movements. I doubt many of the union workers in this country are overly happy with how things are going.

--Article From 2008--

Labor union's have lavished big bucks on the presidential campaign of Barack Obama since January of 2007 and only a piddling amount on the campaign of presumptive Republican nominee John McCain.

On the eve of Labor Day, a Times analysis of Federal Election Commission data shows Obama scooped up $8.1 million from union political action committees (PACs) through July 2008 while McCain garnered just $54,100 from organized labor and employee PACs so far in this presidential election cycle.

The all-or-nothing bet unions are placing on Obama repeats the strategy of heavily backing Democratic candidate John Kerry in the 2004 election.

"There is that huge split because there is a huge split in what Obama and McCain represent," said Tom Balanoff, President of Chicago-based Service Employees Union Local 1. "Barack Obama understands the needs of working families."

Read more: http://www.nwitimes.com/business/lo...8ee-5527-90e7-aa9ed1198e43.html#ixzz1fuvc4R7D

You can google "obama union donations" and read for yourself, but heres a taste. **** Not aimed specifically at Obama, you were asking about donations to politcal movements. I doubt many of the union workers in this country are overly happy with how things are going.

It was a question because I really doubt they are wasting millions for no gain. That's just dumb no matter who is lobbying.

Back