Shipping watercooled box across the atlantic? good or bad?

Xo Martel

Limp Gawd
what you guys think about..

putting a diy watercooling box through container across the world?

reason: i am moving to asia and i'd like to bring watercooled system. i won't be carrying it, i probably sent it using container with my other stuffs.

i'm afraid my system shaked from being thrown around and destroy everything in the box.
anyone got exprience with this, please share your experiences and thought.

Thanks,

XM

Bad idea. Ppl have troubles just taking their rigs to a LAN party on the back seat of their car, trans-oceanic travel is a tad more complicated.

i'd just take it apart before shipping i were you. you'd have to do it anyway since you're going to have to leak test again.

i have no idea, but since all of that stuff in made in asia, couldn't you get it cheaper over there? i could be wrong though...
if you are shipping a lot of stuff, then it probably won't get thrown around too hard.. you could dismantle it.. put things in their original boxes.. take your HD as a carry on to minimize the risk of loosing your data.. shit like that..

it doesnt quite work like that.. just because its made there doesnt meant you can waltz into the factory and ask for one.

Obviously drain the system and take off anything heavy that might fall off if bumped.. then wrap the case good in probably a layer of foam (static resistant) then some bubble wrap

I remember hearing something about the Post Office not paying the insurance if you don't wrap your computer/monitor in at least 4" of bubble wrap.

There was someone who posted on here awhile back about shipping his computer from Iraq back home. The post office pretty much destroyed his computer, and he was having problems getting them to pay insurance. Also, mashie tried shipping his y2k bug (watercooled) and the thing fell apart and died spewing its guts (the water in the loop) everywhere. You can check his site for the gruesome details.

Bottom line, do what the others have suggested, drain the loop of all water, remove any heavy parts that might warp, securely pack the case and then ship it. I would go so far as making sure before you ship it that there are no problems that would keep you from collecting on the insurance if, god forbid, something were to happen during transit.

I've shipped a computer in my check-in luggage across the Atlantic. No sweat. The only problem I see is with the lower air pressure in the luggage compartment. That might make your water cooling setup leak. So drain the water before you go.

The weight of a water block should be much less than a regular heat sink fan combo. So no big danger of your heat sink ripping your proc / mobo off when it is handled.

Quicksilver said:
Drain the loop, and fill the case up with packing peanuts

BZZZZ Wrong! Packing peanuts are loaded with static electricity, which kills computers. With that many packing peanuts in the case, there would be no hope for that poor PC

What I am wondering about, how the hell is he gettin into asia by flying over Atlantic? I thought Asia lies in the opposite direction? :confused:

more to the case at hand - you can get away by shipping it via mail too, but it doesn't mean it's guaranteed to work afterwards ;) Dissasembling and putting each part into a shipping box with anti-static packaging is the best bet. I mean, all computers are made in Asia, it doesn't mean they are shipped to US assembled... unless they are laptops that is.

well, if its in a container I assume you are using large moving boxes. You could do what I did with a non WC comp, blanket pillow comp pillow blanket in a box. just drain it first and make sure nothing is lose.

Back