Shipping Servers / Racks

calvinj

[H]ard|Gawd
So maybe this isn't the best place to put this, but there is a lot of guys here that might have some great input.

We are shipping a 25u rack from our head quarters location to one of our remote location with the intention of putting in a small vmware setup consisting of 2 servers, a san, some ups gear & some switch gear. To save me some time I was thinking on racking up some of the stuff in the HQ location before packing it all up to ship. I'm ok with cables and what not dangling around, but has anybody ever shipped servers still in the rack? Ups in the rack.

All this stuff would be traveling some distance

I have had loaded racks shipped to me many times, 42U size. They were crated with wood frames on shock pallets surrounded by cardboard with everything bolted down, and by everything I mean everything. Servers bolted to racks using supplementary shipping hardware, racks were bolted to pallet using reinforced hard points, etc.

They used specialized pallets and hardware for the shipping. Not sure how to obtain that type of material for shipping.

Back