Shipping of BIG items

fowlrock

2[H]4U
I'm considering selling my Peavey 5150 2x12 combo on here, it weighs near 150lbs....anyone have experiance or tips on shipping something this huge? I haven't called around to UPS, USPS or FedEx yet finding out what their max weight is, but wondered if anyone had some suggestions.

I shipped an huge monitor before, I would have to go with Fedex. It seems cheaper when it comes to large heavy items. Correct me if am wrong.

I used a lot of bubble warps and peanuts!

I shipped an amp awhile ago. It was big enough that I strapped it to a board, then dropped it into a box and jammed it with peanuts, newspaper, and bubble wrap. I think it weighed 170 pounds when all was said and done. I'll have to go find the shipping slip since I dont remember who I had ship it.

Endscape

I looked on Ebay to see what shipping methods they were using for the same amp. I guess the amp only weighs 90lbs...(seems heavier though *shrug*)...

they've all been using FedEx....so hopefully that's what I'll use...

thanks for the feedback Cal and endscape

work at the UPS.. heaviest I have seen is 150.. but we could ship heavier.. don't see why we wouldn't

I had to ship an 22" CRT monitor once (for an RMA) and it weighed 90 pounds. USPS won't ship anything over 70lbs. and UPS wanted $50+ to do it. Fed-Ex shipped it for around $30 - give or take a couple of $$. Fed-Ex is the only way to ship it unless money is no object to you.

I had to ship a Z-680 speaker set. Cost me $43 UPS ground from Chicago to California. Talk about a deal gone bad. I would suggest trying another route. For car stuff I've heard people using Greyhound. They'd have to pick it up at the bus station, but it'd save you money.

For something that size, you might want to consider shipping it Freight. Any Pak Mail, or something similiar will be able to quote you on a rate. Usually its not bad, considering.

heh....just an update on the "shipping of the bahemoth" situation...

I decided to try my luck on ebay first (not too many hardcore guitar guys on here that are in the market for a big amp). Sold the amp on the second day of the auction. At the buyer's request....I shipped it UPS ground...

Package weight: 99.05 lbs
Price to ship package to TN from Kansas....$122.05!!!!!!!!

The deal in the auction was that the buyer paid the exact amount for shipping. I feel sorry for the guy, but it was at his request!

Back