Shift 2 digital download $18

wow great price for such a new release. I was trying to hold out buying till the 1st patch was released....would much rather have it on Steam but it's $31 cheaper!

thanks, I was actually interested in this game to replace grid in my racing game repetoire. Glad I didn't spend $49

I really have to start visiting this section of the forum more often - thank god I saw this.

I wanted to buy Shift 2 on day one, but decided to 'hold out' for a sale, thinking, maybe in the fall. Wow, here were are... one month later.

This is getting to be insane. I remember, three or four years ago, seeing Stalker in the bargain bin about nine months after its release, and thinking, holy crap, that was quick. A few years after that, games were making it into the bin within six months. Then it dropped down to about four months, and then down to about three.

Now we're down to one month.

Anyhow, thanks OP for taking the time to post this. A really great deal here.

I just bought this game last week from steam :(

If you like the game, then enjoy it.

I don't have anything against people who buy on day one - and I don't think they should be ridiculed. I do it myself all the time. Day one people are loyal customers. :)

I like how EA still dont have a way of distributing the DLC for the pc version, also is there LAN support?

Well I decided to give it a spin. Should be good for Eyefinity and fairly cheap, w/ decent scores.

If you like the game, then enjoy it.

I don't have anything against people who buy on day one - and I don't think they should be ridiculed. I do it myself all the time. Day one people are loyal customers. :)

Well sorry for waiting for sales to buy a game didn't know we weren't loyal at all
sorry for being born!

Well sorry for waiting for sales to buy a game didn't know we weren't loyal at all
sorry for being born!

Guy, I was just saying that he shouldn't feel bad for buying the title on day one. Read between the lines. Sheesh. Why is everybody so god damned hostile at this forum. I was just trying to make the guy feel better about his purchase.

fuck this makes it so hard. Do i want to buy it?
.... I stil have GT5 that i have yet to play really. But i LOVED the first shift. Yet im finishing school.... damn
lol. I think ill pass unless I wake up and decide to buy it.

Anybody even considering this - my initial impressions are that Shift 2 is better than the original title in every way.

The handling is vastly superior (the cars don't feel like hovercrafts anymore), and the graphics are quite a bit better. The helmet cam, in particular, is fantastic. Great - I can kiss away another fifty hours of my life.

I just bought this game last week from steam :(

bought it day 1 on steam, it didn't work, forgot about it but maybe tomorrow i'll do a clean format to fix it or get a torrent copy and play SP only.

Very tempting... still wondering why the price drop just on PC though...

Maybe because of the Need For Speed World?

Anyways... some words from the Lead Dev I happen to come across by chance :

Hi,

My name is Martin Griffiths and I'm PC Lead on SHIFT 2 Unleashed. I'm going to use this post to give you some background on our engine and what's coming up in the first patch.

SHIFT 2 has a completely new engine which is a deferred, light pre-pass renderer. A basic overview of this rendering method can be found at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deferred_shading .

Our deferred renderer is far from basic though - the rendering team at SMS has about 100 man years of render coding between us, and we used some of the most advanced techniques that are known at this time. We did our best - so it's sometimes disappointing after so many late nights to see flippant remarks, over constructive criticism.

So, this new engine allowed us to do cool things such as the night racing that would have been very difficult with an old style forward renderer. With deferred rendering the lighting stage is separate from the geometry stage(s) and hardware anti-aliasing like MSAA in a basic form won't produce correct results. Solutions to allow us to anti-alias had to be found - we came up with two methods to balance AA processing cost/quality over a wide range of PCs. A very large amount of time was spent on this and while some other developers just choose to do a post-pass edge detection filter we weren't satisfied with that, the 'HIGH" method for example was 3 months of R&D.
There are lots of 'tips' about overriding the AA mode - doing this will produce problems with lighting at edges and will also break other lighting components like Bloom, giving a visual look that we didn't intend. If you prefer the look with a driver over-ride then we've no problem with that - but the graphics team wanted a consistent look and feel, to do the many artists who created the tracks and cars justice.

There has been some confusion that our anti-aliasing uses the CPU - it does not. In the graphics options the 'Normal' mode uses MSAA with a special sampling trick to produce correct results at triangle edges - the 'HIGH' method extends this with a depth based search which requires a GPU with high bandwidth because the shaders are sampling many depth pixels for each pixel in the scene. Any performance issue on particular hardware is down to the characteristics of that GPU - there isn't anything we can do about this without a driver update.

To better balance very high-end CPUs the patch will include a 3rd anti-aliasing method which is CPU based - MLAA. We are working with Intel R&D to add this. On quad-core (and above) systems this will allow AA without any GPU cost and little impact to the frame rate to what you see when running with AA turned off currently. This will also help AMD based quad-core too.

Some people have noted that the game doesn't scale well with SLI/Crossfire - SLI performance scaling doesn't just automagically happen, it requires quite close collaboration with the GPU makers. We've been in regularly contact with NVidia and ATI throughout the development of the game, with their performance teams feeding back on any areas where we could improve, pooling our expertise with theirs. About 6 weeks of programmer time was spent pre-shipping on SLI/Crossfire scaling - we needed another 4 weeks since we went gold because of the complexity of implementing this in such a large engine. Both GPU makers have devoted a lot of time to some complex issues.

So yes, the upcoming patch includes SLI/Crossfire scaling. To give you an example a GTX 295 will go from 48fps to nearly 70fps in 1080p. Also the rendering team found some further optimizations so that normal (non SLI) graphics performance should be 5-10% faster with the patch.

Input lag - we've solved the latency issues reported using some wheels. There was a dead-zone issue and a threading problem introduced very late in development that have been fixed.

Garage screen crashes/CTDs - a fast button press issue that wasn't seen during development is also fixed in the patch.

A black screen issue on starting a race requiring a pause/unpause to fix is also addressed. This was caused by a timing difference with the protection system.

NVision - some reverse/double stereo issues with the mirrors and environment maps have been addressed in the patch. NVidia very kindly provided us with more hardware for the render team to address this - Kudos to them for that.

There are also some more minor fixes in the patch - the above represent the vast majority. If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask in this thread and I'll do my best to reply.

Regards,
Griff

--
Martin Griffiths, PC Lead, SHIFT 2 Unleashed, Slightly Mad Studios.

Last edited:
Hot deal if it's anything like the first Shift. I'd buy it, but I don't really do racing games on the PC.

Shift 2 Unleashed on Steam shows it comes with TAGES Solidshield. I'm guessing this version does as well?

I really have to start visiting this section of the forum more often - thank god I saw this.

I wanted to buy Shift 2 on day one, but decided to 'hold out' for a sale, thinking, maybe in the fall. Wow, here were are... one month later.

This is getting to be insane. I remember, three or four years ago, seeing Stalker in the bargain bin about nine months after its release, and thinking, holy crap, that was quick. A few years after that, games were making it into the bin within six months. Then it dropped down to about four months, and then down to about three.

Now we're down to one month.

Anyhow, thanks OP for taking the time to post this. A really great deal here.

Wabe, this mirror's my sentiments exactly!

I was so ready to buy the game off Steam this Friday after I got paid, but after seeing this late last night I immediately jumped on this. :eek:

Thank you OP! You saved me a good $32! :cool:

I Bit - the payment through paypal has apparently gone through, but it hasn't shown up on my account yet in EA download manager - anyone get theirs yet?

Sweet, been wanting a newer racing game to play around with in NV Surround, but didnt want to pay full price for Shift 2.

Thanks OP, downloading now and total was $19.71 with tax.

I like how EA still dont have a way of distributing the DLC for the pc version, also is there LAN support?

Not outright. But, you can set up private matches. LAN support for the original Shift came after a patch so my guess is that maybe full LAN will come later. I bought this for higher. Nice find OP. I would have liked to get in on this one.

yeah i'm in for this, i liked shift 1 and haven't been a fan of the other line of nfs games for a while now.

i wish they could go the porsche unleashed route and add the shift play style (you know...actual car physics) to road courses/street tuned vehicles.

I'm totally on the fence.

I have Portal 2 waiting for me at Best Buy and I am planning to pick up Assassin's Creed Brotherhood at Target if I can.

Suddenly my backlog would be pretty big.

Oh, and the Back to the Future game has also attracted my attention.

had a $20 code from EA. Cost me $0. Can't beat it.

Went to walmart today and had them price match AC Brotherhood from the Best Buy website ($27.99).

So today I've gotten NFS Shift 2 and AC Brotherhood for $28. LMAO

In for 1 at this price.. I have been looking for another racing game for a bit..

And for anyone hoping to this will not add to steam.

I bought it last night, got the downloader, downloaded it this morning, checked my ea account and it wasn't on there, checked my credit card and they hadn't charged, and finally checked my email. My email had the receipt and working game key. *shrug* as long as I get to play it I guess.

well Got it & played a couple races... Waste of 18 bucks... I was looking for something that looked good & was smooth like Dirt 2.. This is neither.

I bought it last night, got the downloader, downloaded it this morning, checked my ea account and it wasn't on there, checked my credit card and they hadn't charged, and finally checked my email. My email had the receipt and working game key. *shrug* as long as I get to play it I guess.

log out then log back in, important that you actually log out and not just close the program

curse me for procrastinating. It's up to $39.99. Probably a price mistake.

curse me for procrastinating. It's up to $39.99. Probably a price mistake.

The game looks good, but practically unplayable because of the horrible controls.

You just saved yourself $18.

If anybody could figure out a way to sell their copy to me I'd buy it.

I may have bit on this.. Does it have the sort of sim thing going on like Forza where you race, buy upgrades, motor swaps, check your dyno, 1/4 mile, etc?

Josh

Ooh, the Shelby Cobra is just an awesome experience. You have to take a drive at dusk on one of the tracks in autumn, with leaves blowing about the course, and 15 other cobras on the track, and looking out through the helmet cam - just an awesome racing experience.

If this goes on sale again, buy it. It's better than the original Shift in every way. The driving in this title, unlike the driving in the original game, feels almost exactly like GTR Legends.

Back