Shenmue I & II

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Has anyone else seen this? Steam has a presale on it. I remember playing this game on the Sega Dreamcast almost 20 years ago!

shenmue.jpg

Yeah, saw this. Both are locked to 30fps (engine issues or something, can't remember for sure), and Shenmue 2 is based on the Xbox version which had some graphical weirdness.

Still, even though I owned a Dreamcast, never did play either of these games so I'll check them out at some point.

WTF?? Only 30 fps :vomit::vomit::vomit::vomit:

I'm a huge Shenmue fan but I'm not buying it if it's locked to 30 fps.

I played the Dreamcast version emulated at 60 fps without any problems. It's pathetic to even have a cap to begin with. But 30 fps is just unplayable on PC in 2018. Or any year really.

I played the original and imported part II for the dreamcast way back when, no reason to play it all over again.

So many quick-time-events and wandering around needlessly....

Don't get me wrong, at the time it was epic; but I promise you these games won't age well....

I played the original and imported part II for the dreamcast way back when, no reason to play it all over again.

Don't get me wrong, at the time it was epic; but I promise you these games won't age well....

That's what I was thinking too. I thought it might be worth playing through again right before 3 releases just to get reacquainted with the story and enjoy it in high resolution with a high framerate. But a 30 fps lock would just piss off and make me less excited to play 3.

Hopefully 3 will be good. Since it's using Unreal Engine 4 there shouldn't be a framerate cap and there will probably be mod support at least unofficially if not officially.

I played 2 a few years ago. Maybe in 2011? I still have my Xbox copy with the "movie." Honestly, they are pretty short games. They move pretty quickly...especially 2. So, I do think they'll be fine as long as one treats them like Adventure/Point and Click games.

According to this guy the console versions are running at 30 fps and pc is still uncofirmed. So i guess there's still hope it isn't locked to 30 fps.

But a game over 15 years old running at 30 fps on modern consoles is a big wtf so I'm not holding my breath.

According to this guy the console versions are running at 30 fps and pc is still uncofirmed. So i guess there's still hope it isn't locked to 30 fps.

But a game over 15 years old running at 30 fps on modern consoles is a big wtf so I'm not holding my breath.

Not really. A lot of games from that time had everything tied to the framerate. It is easier and less intensive to perform an update loop if it is done at a fixed and predictable frequency, even today. It doesn't really bother me with older games like this.

Back