Shenmue 3 PC ver. available to pre-order via Slacker Backer site on December 15th

Ziming

n00b
http://gematsu.com/2016/12/shenmue-iii-pc-pre-orders-begin-december-15

Via Famitsu through Gematsu.
“Development is entering the final stage headed towards full-scale production. Early in the new year, I think we’ll be able to show you things such as new videos.

“We will continue progressing with development so that our backers and those who experience the world of Shenmue for the first time can do so with pleasure.

“Also, at noon on December 15, we will start pre-order sales for the PC version of Shenmue III, which received a lot of requests.
You can currently pre-order/back the game on PS4 via the Slacker Backer site.

Regarding the "full-scale production" comment, take a look at their workflow chart released last year:

dHSKPi2.png

While this is likely a shortened and simplified version of what will actually happen in development, it is effectively the final hurdle before debugging begins after they have spent a year working on their prototype.

Loved Shenmue back when I would rent a Dreamcast from Blockbuster as I never owned one. This looks interesting for sure.

I've not seen this before so I'm surprised it's really happening, since they seem to be far along in the process I threw some money in. The first and previous thing I backed was component video cables for 16-bit consoles (HD Retrovision) and that worked out (got SNES component cables out of it), so I'm at least ahead in this backer game.

I've not seen this before so I'm surprised it's really happening, since they seem to be far along in the process I threw some money in. The first and previous thing I backed was component video cables for 16-bit consoles (HD Retrovision) and that worked out (got SNES component cables out of it), so I'm at least ahead in this backer game.

You must have been sleeping under a rock ;). Shenmue III made some pretty big waves when the Kickstarter campaign started. It set a few records, pretty sure it was the first to a million, fasted funded, or something like that. Maybe highest video game too, I dunno. Also, announcing the KS campaign at Sony's E3 presentation caused a lot of criticism.

To the surprise of no one, since the publisher is Deep Silver and it is using Unreal Engine 4, Shenmue III is now an Epic Games Store exclusive. No mention of whether or not this is a timed exclusive, so I would not expect this coming to other storefronts in the future. Needless to say, a lot of backers are pissed.

Kickstarter update

Fortunately found the survey in my email and changed to PS4 digital. I'll be surprised if a refund option becomes available.

lol people are such babies about clicking a different icon
Not even a different one. It'll still be the same shenmue 3 icon regardless of the platform it's on. People really don't go into steam to launch their games so they?

lol people are such babies about clicking a different icon
Yeah it's almost like there's more to it. I mean if it was as simple as "JuSt A dIfFeReNt iCoN" then Epic wouldn't be burning through hundreds of millions in bribe money. Would they.

They promised one thing, took everyone's money on the basis of those terms, and then changed the terms last minute without a refund option. That's called a bait & switch.

Last edited:
The developer is refusing to give refunds. If you're a European backer take advantage of your consumer protections and put the fire to their feet.

upload_2019-6-11_10-3-1.png

I'm a backer and I'm fine with the change. Steam was never listed as a platform in the original kickstarter campaign. Also doubt "consumer protections" apply to something paid 5 years ago.
They should give refunds to backers that are complaining but most of the "fakerage" videos are people never involved in the project spreading misinformation.

Hh4Xb5p.png
V3yoKI2.png

Kim Sterling weighs in.

(This has now gone worldwide)

Last edited:
Ah yes, more people that never even heard of Shenmue before this and weren't even born when the first game was released are OUTRAGED!!!! Social Justice Gamers are exactly like SJWs.

Ah yes, more people that never even heard of Shenmue before this and weren't even born when the first game was released are OUTRAGED!!!! Social Justice Gamers are exactly like SJWs.

So people should just suck corporate cock and say nothing if they have an opinion?

PS: That term will always be fucking retarded and won't stop being so no matter how many times you say it.

Why don't you get outraged about steam charging developers 30% as a file hosting service?
Steam stopped producing games long ago. Your loyalty to them is misguided.
Any money you pay them is not going to go to making more better games, it is just getting gaben richer.
Sure they did tons of things to make the gaming industry better. And they were richly rewarded for it.
So much so that they abandoned the things that made them great in the first place.

Why don't you get outraged about steam charging developers 30% as a file hosting service?
Any money you pay them is not going to go to making more better games, it is just getting gaben richer.
Sure they did tons of things to make the gaming industry better. And they were richly rewarded for it.
So much so that they abandoned the things that made them great in the first place.

Fuck loyalty to ANY company. You're a fool if you think Epic is any better than Valve. They're both shitty multi-billion dollar organizations. By the way, don't assume that extra money goes to developers. The money Epic paid Deep Silver for exclusivity probably went into Deep Silver's pockets and DS is likely pocketing the extra percentage as well. In general, I don't have a problem with studios choosing to take Epic's money. I get it and its their choice. I do, however, have a problem with how certain companies (like Deep Silver) handle it. Ys Net and Deep Silver are basically telling the people that made it possible for the game to even get made to go fuck themselves if they're not happy with the decision.

a 12% tax versus a 30% tax is going to factor in as regards any developer / publisher deals going forwards. I don't give a s*** about Epic, I just love games, and I want the money that I spend to go to the people that make the games. Or at least as close enough as it can. The 18% difference is just too huge to ignore. People go crazy over 5% savings accounts. This is more than three times that. It can easily be the difference between success or failure or profit vs a loss.

I'm a backer and I'm fine with the change. Steam was never listed as a platform in the original kickstarter campaign. Also doubt
This is incorrect. They went and deleted all mentions of Steam now, but people saved screenshots.

This is pretty scummy if we're being honest.

4M0a0fp_d.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a backer and I'm fine with the change. Steam was never listed as a platform in the original kickstarter campaign.

It sounds to me like they sent out a questionnaire asking backers what version they wanted after the KS campaign ended, though.

They should just give refunds to those affected. They've already not only solicited money via KS, but have financial backing from both Sony and Epic now. If it were some indie studio with no other backing I could understand the hesitation for providing refunds, but at this point it just comes off as wanton greed.

Last edited:
I'm a backer and I'm fine with the change. Steam was never listed as a platform in the original kickstarter campaign. Also doubt "consumer protections" apply to something paid 5 years ago.
They should give refunds to backers that are complaining but most of the "fakerage" videos are people never involved in the project spreading misinformation.

View attachment 167317
View attachment 167318

From Slacker Backer, I still have the link to the survey where I can select my media and Steam is specifically mentioned. I guess they've forgotten about this one.
upload_2019-6-12_10-0-24.png

For those that don't get it, the problem is that they're preventing you from being able to obtain a product from a store of your choice. If it's not a big deal, why can't they offer it on both platforms? I guess if you don't mind businesses screwing you then it's OK to just accept what they give you.

Nobody said anything about Steam until you brought them up.

If you don't agree with Steam's cut then you should also startup a protest against Apple, Google, Microsoft, and every other company that hosts a digital storefront as they all take the same cut.

False. They went and deleted all mentions of Steam now, but people saved screenshots.

This is scummy.

View attachment 167381

That was not what I said. Nothing on kickstarter mentioned steam, so no money was collected based on "steam". Yeah, they did send out a survey afterwards but that was 3 years after the kickstarter.

the new reality for every game is that they don't want to pay massive royalties to steam. Shenmue had 69,320 backers. PC sales will be much less than console but still will likely be in the millions.
It costs them $18 per game (based on $60 price) to have it on steam, vs $7.20 to have it on Epic. Say they sell 3 million copies, that is $32.4 million dollars into gaben's pockets and not their own.
The reality is that the numbers are just too far apart, and I predict it will be much more of the same from all game companies until steam gives a better split.

Nobody said anything about Steam until you brought them up.

If you don't agree with Steam's cut then you should also startup a protest against Apple, Google, Microsoft, and every other company that hosts a digital storefront as they all take the same cut.

steam did not build my PC or OS

Shenmue barely sold over a million copies, Shenmue 2 sold even less. Shenmue 3 doesn't have much appeal to anyone that didn't play the original. That's why Sony wouldn't fund development without a Kickstarter. It will be lucky to sell a million copies. It's a game made for the fans. It's not supposed to be a blockbuster.

Shenmue 3 on EGS or any other store doesn't matter at all. We still get to play the game it's not going to be missing any gameplay features because it isn't on Steam.

There are a lot of social justice gamers spamming and crying about it moving to EGS that never even heard of Shenmue before and weren't even alive when the first game came out.

It's exactly like when SJWs spam and "protest" companies that they never buy from to begin with.

Just fuck off and let us enjoy our game.

Shenmue barely sold over a million copies, Shenmue 2 sold even less. Shenmue 3 doesn't have much appeal to anyone that didn't play the original. That's why Sony wouldn't fund development without a Kickstarter. It will be lucky to sell a million copies. It's a game made for the fans. It's not supposed to be a blockbuster.

Shenmue 3 on EGS or any other store doesn't matter at all. We still get to play the game it's not going to be missing any gameplay features because it isn't on Steam.

There are a lot of social justice gamers spamming and crying about it moving to EGS that never even heard of Shenmue before and weren't even alive when the first game came out.

It's exactly like when SJWs spam and "protest" companies that they never buy from to begin with.

Just fuck off and let us enjoy our game.

"Waaah! Mommy someone on the internet doesn't like something I do. Tell them to stop". That's all I get from your jumble of words.

"Waaah! Mommy someone on the internet doesn't like something I do. Tell them to stop". That's all I get from your jumble of words.
Yeah steam justice warriors are doing that when they blast the epic gamea store.

Yeah steam justice warriors are doing that when they blast the epic gamea store.

Fanboys are idiots regardless of who they're fanboying for. That said, let's not pretend that there aren't serious issues with how some of these deals are handled. What YsNet and Deep Silver are doing here could potentially be illegal in counties that have real consumer protection laws. Refusing refunds after breaking a promise to the people that are THE ONLY REASON your game got made in the first place is incredibly scummy. This shit hurts crowdfunding. It means people are going to be more wary about it and it means there will be less money going into projects. This isn't Steam vs Epic bullshit, it effects a real revenue stream for some creators.

There is no promise broken. the kickstarter terms only specified a digital key. the "options" survey that listed steam came a full 3 years after. That is hardly a "promise broken". if you are not a backer, (I am) then you are just stirring shit.
I get it. You like your toy box with the steam sticker, and now a bad boy says you have a different toy box with an epic sticker. If you want to talk about broken promises, well, I have a list of kickstarter shit that has come to nothing or still not delivered.
This is hardly one of them.

There is no promise broken. the kickstarter terms only specified a digital key. the "options" survey that listed steam came a full 3 years after. That is hardly a "promise broken". if you are not a backer, (I am) then you are just stirring shit.
I get it. You like your toy box with the steam sticker, and now a bad boy says you have a different toy box with an epic sticker. If you want to talk about broken promises, well, I have a list of kickstarter shit that has come to nothing or still not delivered.
This is hardly one of them.

You're incapable of arguing in good faith, aren't you? Hint: Read what a person ACTUALLY wrote and not what you want it to say.

Typing into your start menu is faster.

Uh, not every steam game installs an icon in start menu or on the desktop. Isn't the point of a program like steam, bnet, etc. to make it easier to access your games in one place?

Uh, not every steam game installs an icon in start menu or on the desktop. Isn't the point of a program like steam, bnet, etc. to make it easier to access your games in one place?
No they are DRM primarily. And you tell steam to install a shortcut when clicking to download the game. It gives the choice.

Back