Shenmue 3 Kickstarter Hit $2M Goal In Just A Few Hours

I must not be in the "fan" camp since I didn't even know they made a 2nd one. I had the 1st for Dreamcast... it was like the virtual chore simulator. I don't remember actually doing anything "fun" in the game.

From a pre-GTA 3 time I guess that was pretty cool. But now? Can't throw a rock without hitting a "game" like this (figuratively speaking).

Shenmue is the game that started QTE and since then every freaking game has been doing it. It was innovative for its time but if they make Shunmue 3 there had better be something new to the game. Like the WItcher games, Witcher 3 was a huge evolution over the previous games by adding open world. I hope they do the same with Shunmue 3.

I think market interest has been demonstrated

your move SONY

Hell, when the Shenmue 3 kickstarter was revealed at the E3 the Kickstarter site crashed from too much traffic. FF7 Remake, Shenmue 3 and even awesome Doom 4 footage, this E3 was mindblowing.

Shenmue was great, the game had amazing combat and QTE was a great innovation.
i had both 1 and 2 on DreamCast.

I watched Charlie Winsmore play Shenmue 1 on Twitch, it was very entertaining and I had no idea what the game was before that.

Shenmue was great, the game had amazing combat and QTE was a great innovation.
i had both 1 and 2 on DreamCast.
I had them both too. They were very influential games, but honestly they played like crap. They had amazing ideas, and you could see the stuff they were trying to do, but they were pretty terrible. I hope they fix that with 3.

Shenmue is the game that started QTE and since then every freaking game has been doing it. It was innovative for its time but if they make Shunmue 3 there had better be something new to the game. Like the WItcher games, Witcher 3 was a huge evolution over the previous games by adding open world. I hope they do the same with Shunmue 3.

I always laugh when I hear this. QTE has been around for a long time, well before Shenmue. It may have been the gateway for more modern interactive games to usher in more QTE events with cutscenes, but it was hardly the first game to use it. I never did quite get the fascination with Shenmue, but would like to see some more developers make sequels through kickstarter or other means outside of the main publishers.

::SCREAMS LIKE A LITTLE GIRL::

14 years.... every year for 14 years I've looked for any news of this game.... even 3 months ago I was looking for something, anything. I never thought this day would come, but I'd like to thank the Academy, and my mom, and... wait...

Shenmue 3!!! Man, I can't believe what the world has become! We finally get the third installment.... I hope.

I still have the first 2 for Dreamcast. Never finished either one!

The game that invented QTE and "QTE a great innovation" is getting high praises...I think I just died a bit inside.

Quick time event. Mash a button to control the flow of the game, either by continuing a cut scene or starting a particular action from the current point. Plenty of games use the mechanic.

Quick time event. Mash a button to control the flow of the game, either by continuing a cut scene or starting a particular action from the current point. Plenty of games use the mechanic.

thanks for the explanation :cool:

I was hyped for the first one, but I think it was it just looked so good at the time. I had no idea what I was walking into game play-wise and remember being bored out of my skull so quit after a couple hours in. I'm glad fans of the series are getting a chance at a new chapter though.

Impressive kick-start! That sort of craziness reminds me of Star Citizen.

I don't see the appeal of Shenmue. I had the first one for Dreamcast and was bored with it. Anyway, good for the fans of the series.

QTE has been around forever. dragon's lair anyone?

I was just going with what was posted here. I find QTEs to be one of the biggest sins in today's games, so found it funny to be praised and thrown millions at. But, hey, I donated to Star Citizen for the promise of no-compromise PC hardcore game and we see how that is working out, so what do I know.

I've been waiting for this announcement for 14 years. This was the biggest thing to come out of E3 for me.

Nobody finds it troublesome that a huge company is shilling for Kickstarter support in their E3 event?

Damn I want to back it, but I want it to be on Steam!

No idea what the game was about or what it looked like, but I greatly enjoy the soundtrack on a regular basis. I think I first heard it Super Marcato Bros podcast.

Back