Shell Shocker: Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB $69.99/FS

two of these would be nice in raid 0. I don't really need all that hard drive space though...500 gigs
is more than enough for me at the moment. I got 350 gigs of free space left...

I've posted in previous deals on these drives & they WROCK!

Directly from one of them:
Well, one thing I wanted to see about is how the Samsung F1s in RAID0 would fair against the Raptors in RAID0, so I've just done the tests via HDTune & here ya go:

First off, the trusty standard for fast hard drives. These are 2x74GB 16mb in RAID0

WD16MBRaptorsRAID0.jpg

Here's the two 750GB Samsung 32mb F1s in RAID0

SamsungF1sRAID0.jpg

Wow, these Samsungs would put the Raptors to shame if it wasn't for the outside of the platters. The F1s also had a faster Average Transfer Rate, so the extra 16mb of cache helps them out... for $129/each, they are a very good investment for a fast system.

I think I'm going to get one to mirror the two Velociraptors going into a server build!

{edit} or maybe not! Looks like their two-day sale of them is gone & replaced by a 22" LCD :(

^^^ Is that speed over the raptor due to the cache? These are 32mb right?

Personally, I'm running with 2 of the 1TB versions, and they've been rock solid for me. I wouldn't hesitate getting the 750GB ones.

My personal findings is yes in regards to the speeds. The larger cache is probably the reason, but the Raptors start catching up as data reaches the edge of the platters.

Back