Shell Shocker Hitachi 1tb $67.99 FS

Kenworth

2[H]4U
I am a little surprised I haven't seen this up yet today.

I know it is only for one day, I know it is a Hitachi and you may have blown through 20 of them, I know you have taxes in California. I don't care, I just come here to inform!

Are these reliable? No more Deathstars? (-; I need two drives for storage.

I have one of these, just about a year old. Working OK.

I was real hesitant after my experience with my Deathstars years back. To my horror, as soon as I plugged my new Hitachi drive in I heard that distinctive noise all my old IBM drives used to make.

I can't say its a bad drive, but because running it induces flashbacks, I won't be buying any more.

The horror, the horror .....

I have purchased 3 of these drives, one for myself and 2 others for other computers I have built. All 3 have been decent performing and reliable. I am considering buying another at this price, not sure if I can get the wife approval though.

I have one of these, just about a year old. Working OK.

I was real hesitant after my experience with my Deathstars years back. To my horror, as soon as I plugged my new Hitachi drive in I heard that distinctive noise all my old IBM drives used to make.

I can't say its a bad drive, but because running it induces flashbacks, I won't be buying any more.

The horror, the horror .....

Now I am discouraged.:(

Yes they are reliable. I have had 4 of these running in RAID-5 for over a year without any real problems at all. Drives are fairly quite compared to some of the Seagates I have owned.

Deathstars were a thing of the late 80 and early 90. Hitachi is a good brand now and makes good drives.

Now I am discouraged.:(

Don't be. They are good drives. That guy above bought one. I bought four and own another Hitachi server drive which I have owned for 5 years and it is still kicking strong.
Just so people know I am not biased here are the drives I have in my file server and gaming computer.

4x Hitachi 1TB Deskstars (the same drive newegg is selling)
2x Samsung 1TB F1 drives
1x Seagate 250GB barracuda (old, but still strong)
1x Seagate 500GB 7200.10 barracuda (backup drive)
1x Hitachi 400GB server drive (2nd owner of this drive and I have had it for 5 years)
1x Kingston 40GB V-series SSD
4x WD 2TB Green drives (bought these at TPU and they will be in my new rig in the next week)

Only drive I have ever had fail on me was a 160GB WD drive. I have owned a few Maxtor's but they were always so loud, so I sold them or threw them away.

I won't say Hitachi is the best brand (Samsung is), but they make good drives and this is a really good price for decent storage drives. If I hadn't just bought the 2TB Green for $100 each I would be all over these.

Last edited:
Don't worry about it. I've had one in my PC since December and it has been working wonderfully.

Deathstars were a thing of the late 80 and early 90. Hitachi is a good brand now and makes good drives.
My 75GXP 'Deathstars' were purchased new ~2001-2002.

My Hitachi performed well in my desktop for a few months, and now resides in my WHS, working well. However, the Hitachi drive has distinctive tonal qualities that mimic the noise characteristics of my 75GXP's(before the epic failure death cries, that is). That was reason enough for me to relegate that drive into my WHS. I HATE that noise it makes just in normal operation.

I'm sticking w/ Samsung and WD drives, but that's just me.

Looks like a sweet deal but I'll stick to my seagates and I need to buy a new psu before I buy anymore hdd's.

Any hard drive will be better than Seagate. Firmware issues, clicking deaths, drive disconnects and so on...

Hitachi external USB drives are CRAP (well, the enclosure at least)...but their internal drives have been great for me so far.

My Hitachi performed well in my desktop for a few months, and now resides in my WHS, working well. However, the Hitachi drive has distinctive tonal qualities that mimic the noise characteristics of my 75GXP's(before the epic failure death cries, that is). That was reason enough for me to relegate that drive into my WHS. I HATE that noise it makes just in normal operation.

Ironically enough, I have the exact model 75GXP that was recalled and had widespread failures across the board...it still works to this day. I know I'm damn lucky with it :p That being said, I don't mind the operating noise though I will agree that it's certainly distinctive.

I have 10 hitachi drives that have all been fine. Most of the hitachis are 1 and 2TB versions in my vmserver. The only drives I have had fail on me as of late are the Samsung drives (400GB). I also have several maxtor, seagate and western digital that all seem fine as well (most of these drives are 4 or 5 yrs old+).

Ironically enough, I have the exact model 75GXP that was recalled and had widespread failures across the board...it still works to this day.
Holy crap!!! :eek: I can't believe one of them still runs. What are the odds!!! Similar to Powerball most likely. I guess you can take some satisfaction from that. ;)

I had several of those drives, and they all failed within a couple years. IBM would replace them, but the replacements were lucky to last 2 months. It became like Groundhog Day, always seemingly a GXP to ship out that day and another being delivered the next. It was hard drive hell.

Finally I just decided they'd make for some nice targets at the range. That was my favorite experience with them. :D

Bought one of these a few weeks ago from Fry's for $69.99.

No problems so far. :)

Seems like a hot deal from Newegg.

Hitachi makes good drives. They can just be a little on the loud side. They are not really loud, just sound a bit different.

I have dual Hitachi 400gb drives that spent their life in some companies server farm and have a ton of hours on them, then I bought them and have had them running for 2 or 3 years now with no issues at all.

Hitachi should've rebranded these drives after buying IBM's business.. but they didn't, and so the "Deathstar" name is still around.

When exactly were they made though. Also, you have one Hitachi drive that was not made by IBM. I have 4 and none of them have the tonal sound that you describe. Maybe you got a bad drive. If it is enough for you to hate on Hitachi then go ahead. As far as I am concerned they are good drives. Like I said Samsung is the best, but Hitachi ain't bad.

When exactly were they made though.
Well, as far as I'm aware, the 75GXP's were introduced in mid 2000. So mine were purchased after that.

As you said, I've been running one w/o issue for over a year. Its not making any noise that it shouldn't. In fact, I've got a WD or two that are just as loud if not louder. However, sound the Hitachi drive is very distinctive, very similar to my 75GXP's when they were functioning correctly. Too similar for my liking.

I will be retiring my 1TB Hitachi from my WHS once my drive bays are full in my sata cage.(I have 2/5 left open) Partly because it the only 7200rpm drive in my storage pool, and partly because of the way it sounds.

My experience with the drive has actually improved my perception of the Deskstar brand, actually. But it still sounds like the old IBM GXP's, and that's enough for me to forgo purchasing any more.

I have a working deathstar on my shelves.ZOf course I saw like 8 die in my computers and other peoples machines but this one still works.

I sold all 4 of mine after about a years worth of use and no problems. They sold like hotcakes on Ebay at the time.

Time has passed and surely the issue has been corrected after 9+ years. That being said, I'm in for one of these.

The drives of the past share barely anything with the drives today I am sure. It is just the name of the line. Like how WD has had Caviars for ever and Seagate with their Barracudas.

and I have never had as many dead drives as WD Caviars. Their old consumer grade ones from 4 or 5yrs ago were HORRIBLE for failures. Literally thousands I have seen dead.

The drives of the past share barely anything with the drives today I am sure. It is just the name of the line. Like how WD has had Caviars for ever and Seagate with their Barracudas.

and I have never had as many dead drives as WD Caviars. Their old consumer grade ones from 4 or 5yrs ago were HORRIBLE for failures. Literally thousands I have seen dead.

I'm with you on that.. I've had more WD failures than anything. I'm talking on a consumer level, but do have some RE nodes in raid after a year. There is always a time to wash the plate

I heard about this on SD and pulled the trigger on it yesterday. I'll use it to back up my 1 TB Seagate HDD. Maybe I should make the Hitachi as the primary and the Seagate as the backup. Not sure yet.

Back