Sharp LC43UB30U 4k 43" $599?

magnetik

Staff member
I haven't see much of anything about this display (other then promotional propaganda) Saw it was available locally and picked it up at the local worst buy. Put it on the disc for 5% cash back so about $620 total after tax. It wasn't displayed on the wall so I suppose they received them recently.

Unfortunately I am still running a gtx 690 and have no access to HDMI 2.0 atm but not much of a gamer these days. It does allow me to choose 60hz at 4k (nvidia driver fenagling?) through a dvi-hdmi cable and mouse movements are ok in windows it seems. Windows seems fine. Blinks and flashes when trying to play games at that res. I assume I'm running into the bandwidth limit? edit: does not blink with SLI disabled.

on a side note as I was picking it up from the front and the agents at the door asked "is this your tv" and I said "yes my monitor". The girl looked at me strange until I told her "computer screen" then her eyes got wide and I said, "4 desktops, one screen." She was just talking to the other fellow about "who would buy a 43" 4k screen? lol Think they learned something.

Last edited:
I've been looking for more info on that unit as well. This review seems to indicate that the [Strike=Option]70[/s] 60" version does 4:4:4 60Hz@4k, but the contrast is poor and the input lag is really high (292ms). They don't state if the TV was set to PC or Game mode with all processing turned off and measured using the HDMI 2.0 port, so I don't know if that lag figure is accurate.

I'd get one myself to test it with a photosensor and oscilloscope, but if there's anything I hate more than returning something I just bought, it is buying it in the first place from Best Buy. :p

Last edited:
Reviewer probably left all the image processing turned on for the input lag test.

I've been looking for more info on that unit as well. This review seems to indicate that the 70" version does 4:4:4 60Hz@4k, but the contrast is poor and the input lag is really high (292ms). They don't state if the TV was set to PC or Game mode with all processing turned off and measured using the HDMI 2.0 port, so I don't know if that lag figure is accurate.

I'd get one myself to test it with a photosensor and oscilloscope, but if there's anything I hate more than returning something I just bought, it is buying it in the first place from Best Buy. :p

292. Holy shit! If only someone knew what it is at 4:4:4 PC mode (if it has it) and game mode. That price is appealing.

I haven't see much of anything about this display (other then promotional propaganda) Saw it was available locally and picked it up at the local worst buy. Put it on the disc for 5% cash back so about $620 total after tax. It wasn't displayed on the wall so I suppose they received them recently.

Unfortunately I am still running a gtx 690 and have no access to HDMI 2.0 atm but not much of a gamer these days. It does allow me to choose 60hz at 4k (nvidia driver fenagling?) through a dvi-hdmi cable and mouse movements are ok in windows it seems. Windows seems fine. Blinks and flashes when trying to play games at that res. I assume I'm running into the bandwidth limit? edit: does not blink with SLI disabled.

on a side note as I was picking it up from the front and the agents at the door asked "is this your tv" and I said "yes my monitor". The girl looked at me strange until I told her "computer screen" then her eyes got wide and I said, "4 desktops, one screen." She was just talking to the other fellow about "who would buy a 43" 4k screen? lol Think they learned something.

I might try to contact Sharp in the afternoon and see if they can tell me if it has 4:4:4 chroma 60hz 4k and what the input lag is in PC and game mode. Hopefully they'll have knowledgeable tech support. If it does 4:4:4 and has display lag in PC and game mode similar to the Samsung, I might rethink spending a grand on the 50" and pay $600 for a 43 with higher ppi.

EDIT: Just emailed Sharp my questions, but hitting return made it send so it cut off a part and i had to send again. Hopefully they answer both questions.

Last edited:
I've been looking for more info on that unit as well. This review seems to indicate that the 70" version does 4:4:4 60Hz@4k, but the contrast is poor and the input lag is really high (292ms). They don't state if the TV was set to PC or Game mode with all processing turned off and measured using the HDMI 2.0 port, so I don't know if that lag figure is accurate.

is that the same line as the UB30 series? (european?)

Only thing I could find were impressions of the 65" model. (nothing on a 70" version) http://televisions.reviewed.com/content/sharp-lc-65ub30-4k-tv-first-impressions-review (65" has local dimming)

43” (42.5” diag.), 50” (49.5” diag.), 55” (54.5” diag.) and 65” (64.5” diag.) Class screen sizes
4K Ultra HD: 4X the pixel resolution of Full HD
Revelation™ Upscaler
4K Ultra HD Streaming (HEVC/h.265; VP9)
SmartCentral™ 3.0
4K Ultra HD Specs (HDMI 2.0; HDCP 2.2)
Local dimming (65”)
Modern Design – ultra slim bezel, sleek stand
Wallpaper Mode
Quad-core processor

3 HDMI, 2 USB [43″ (42.5” diag.), 50″ (49.5”)]; 4 HDMI, 2 USB [55″ (49.5” diag.), 65” (64.5” diag.) Class screen sizes], optical audio output, 8 Wi-Fi

MSRP 43” Class LC43UB30U: $750
MSRP 50” Class LC50UB30U: $1,000
MSRP 55” Class LC55UB30U: $1,200
MSRP 65” Class LC65UB30: $2,300

I did notice mouse lag disappeared when putting in game and pc mode. (has both)

I usually go to AVS forums for tv specific threads but they have nothing either, on this series. weird.

Last edited:
here's a pic from my p&s of youtube 4k through the gui.

here's one with a flash so you can gauge the glossiness / bezel size, etc, and what it looks like on the jerker. (upgraded a 1080p 40" Sharp and this one is actually smaller due to the huge bezels on my previous screen)

q0A06gW.jpg

Last edited:
i'm interested to see how this turns out. i just returned the vizio 43" after deciding it wasn't suited for monitor purposes. these 2 sets are probably using the same panel which is va and has pretty great contrast. the vizio also had really low input lag but didnt support 444. would be nice if there was an alternative to the samsungs at a lower price. if im going to pay $800 i might as well get the philips 40" since it doesnt have the drawbacks of the samsungs. also the korean 39" looks interesting aside from the pwm issue.

was just checking bestbuy.com and they have a new sony 43" 4k set for $799 in stock. model XBR43X830C, i will probably swing by there today and try to see it in person. going by recent sonys it could have decent input lag. will be interesting to see if this uses the va panel like the vizio or the ips like the lg.

Sony is not fully HDMI 2.0 compliant so no 4:4:4 at 60hz. It supports max of 30hz at 4k.

just got back from best buy and wasn't able to see the tv but spoke with the sony rep and he is going to get back to me about 444 chroma.

just got back from best buy and wasn't able to see the tv but spoke with the sony rep and he is going to get back to me about 444 chroma.

No need to, there is already a manual for some of the Sony models and according to the manual there is no 4:4:4 @ 60Hz.

No need to, there is already a manual for some of the Sony models and according to the manual there is no 4:4:4 @ 60Hz.

bummer, well i guess that just leaves this sharp for a possible alternative to the samsungs then. i will grab one as soon as its in stock locally. the owner in this thread doesn't have a 900 series so he won't be able to test 4k60hz with 444. hopefully be able to report good news soon.

bummer, well i guess that just leaves this sharp for a possible alternative to the samsungs then. i will grab one as soon as its in stock locally. the owner in this thread doesn't have a 900 series so he won't be able to test 4k60hz with 444. hopefully be able to report good news soon.

Isn't Panasonic also coming out with a 43 inch 4k TV? Probably using the same panel I'm guessing but the thing with Panasonic is that, at least on their previous 4k sets, they have typically been very good with 4:4:4 support and input lag.

Has anyone messed around with game or pc mode yet? Curious how the lag compares to the Samsung.

Also, does anyone know if Best Buy charges a restocking fee for returning a TV?

i've never encountered a restock fee for returns at best buy. i've found the sharp 43" in stock at a nearby best buy and i may make the trip tomorrow to grab it. i will definitely be giving it a thorough testing to see if its usable though i don't have any way to accurately test input lag.i will post my findings here soon.

I just got off the phone with Sharp, and was told it does 4:4:4 at 60hz in 4k. They couldn't tell me anything about display lag in game or PC mode, though. Not sure yet if I want to take the risk since I know nothing about the image quality or lag compared to the Samsung JU6500.

thats great news, i will definitely get this tomorrow then. i think as long as its not worse that my old lg 32ln5300 which is about 25-30ms, then it will be a keeper. let me know what you guys want me to test it with and i will do my best to provide results.

thats great news, i will definitely get this tomorrow then. i think as long as its not worse that my old lg 32ln5300 which is about 25-30ms, then it will be a keeper. let me know what you guys want me to test it with and i will do my best to provide results.

If you're able to compare the input lag in PC mode on the Sharp to your old LG, that would be awesome.

Has anyone messed around with game or pc mode yet? Curious how the lag compares to the Samsung.

Also, does anyone know if Best Buy charges a restocking fee for returning a TV?

No they definitely do not have a restocking fee. Just have your receipt and ID and be within your return window.

ok guys, i've got the tv. can't get 444 working at all, but it is displaying 4k@60hz. in game mode the lag seems pretty good and i did a quik test of some dark souls and parrying didn't seem off. for some reason color adjustment just disappeared from nvidia control panel. there doesn't seem to be a way to change input labels just different picture modes. i think much of my problem with the vizio was due to crappy hdmi cables, i tried the sams club 4k hdmi and had the same problem on this set with 60hz not working. switched to the new rocketfish cable and its working fine. now i just need to figure out how to get 444.

ok guys, i've got the tv. can't get 444 working at all, but it is displaying 4k@60hz. in game mode the lag seems pretty good and i did a quik test of some dark souls and parrying didn't seem off. for some reason color adjustment just disappeared from nvidia control panel. there doesn't seem to be a way to change input labels just different picture modes. i think much of my problem with the vizio was due to crappy hdmi cables, i tried the sams club 4k hdmi and had the same problem on this set with 60hz not working. switched to the new rocketfish cable and its working fine. now i just need to figure out how to get 444.

Probably you need to enable UHD color or whatever Sharp calls it, if the TV supports it.

trying to find a setting to turn it on, but there doesnt seem to be anything. might try calling tech support. it seems odd that color controls are gone from nvidia control panel. the rgb/444 and hdmi black level boxes are just gone.

trying to find a setting to turn it on, but there doesnt seem to be anything. might try calling tech support. it seems odd that color controls are gone from nvidia control panel. the rgb/444 and hdmi black level boxes are just gone.

You got a manual with the TV. What does the manual say about PC mode? I searched for a manual on their website, but could not find any for that TV.

actually the manual just says to plug the cable in, beyond that there is no mention of settings to use. im gonna reinstall drivers to see if i can get my nvidia control panel options back.

fwiw.. I had the Nvidia color options so not sure what's wrong there. I can verify when I get back to the casa.

also.. probably the worst manual I have ever seen. Nothing specific and all languages on each page. It felt like an after thought. I suppose once they are finally on the website, it will be updated?

fwiw.. I had the Nvidia color options so not sure what's wrong there. I can verify when I get back to the casa.

also.. probably the worst manual I have ever seen. Nothing specific and all languages on each page. It felt like an after thought. I suppose once they are finally on the website, it will be updated?

Any idea if it's an IPS or VA panel?

Thanks for testing. Hopefully the support person I talked to wasn't wrong, and it"s just some setting to turn on. What do you think about the picture quality?

picture quality is pretty great so far, i haven't finished calibrating since its not in 444 yet. its definitely better than the vizio was at least sharpness wise. Input lag looks bad though. in game mode its 70ms slower than my lg and pc mode is 130ms slower. this is at 1080p though which might add lag since its upscaled.when i was gaming at 4k it didn't feel worse than my lg, but thats totally subjective.

well the color settings come back if i switch to 1080p but at 4k they disappear. it wont accept rgb with hdmi full, just reverts back to 444 and limited dynamic range. ive been thru the menu top to bottom and read the manual front to back and havent found a setting for uhd color or similar. im at a loss at this point, though honestly it doesnt look bad.

well the color settings come back if i switch to 1080p but at 4k they disappear. it wont accept rgb with hdmi full, just reverts back to 444 and limited dynamic range. ive been thru the menu top to bottom and read the manual front to back and havent found a setting for uhd color or similar. im at a loss at this point, though honestly it doesnt look bad.

Sounds like it doesn't support 444 at 60hz. If it works at 444 in 1080P, that means 444 is already set. Call tech support and ask that they confirm 444 at 4k/60. They may support 444, but at what resolution?

well i just finished with tech support and they were utterly useless. the lady told me it doesnt support 4k at from a computer only netflix. this is after she had to talk to someone smarter and call me back. i think its doing 444 at 4k30hz. the test image is pretty clear, certainly better than it was before. at 4k30hz the menu options for rgb and dynamic range reappear in the nvidia control panel, but it still wont take rgb/full.

my guess is it does 4:2:0 at 4k60hz and 4:2:2 at 4k30hz. i wish i spoke to the person you did slippinjimmy. the lady i spoke to had no idea about anything. this is from the supposed dedicated aquos member support line.

Back