Sharp LC-32GP3U review

Hmmm... I think I know what I'm going to do with my stimulus check when it gets here :D

To the people that own this TV does it have a PiP feature?

Picture in Picture?
no i don't think it does, i just flipped through the manual and couldn't find anything about it

Sounds like you're having some troubles with your PS3 more than the LCD itself.

There are some settings on the PS3 that can really improve colors and blacks, make sure you find and enable those. It also sounds like the PS3 isn't setup properly if it cannot display a 720p movie on your set.

What input are you using on the TV and what type of cable are you using? I had to do some tweaking with my video card to get everything looking good. Something is definitely wrong in your case. Post some more info so we can help you.

I got the movie and the game to work...ashamed to admit it..but was disc issues, not tv issue..only took me 24 hrs to figure that out..grr. :)

Still having issues with calibration though...any suggestions would be great...right now I am using 'pc and not movie/game/dynamic' AV to view movies as all the rest are not looking good..but it's so colorless..and 'game' setting for games is so dull. Could you list your settings..I haven't touched the 'hue' settings..too nervous :)

I am using hdmi from ps3 to lcd...xbox360 I am using component.

I looked through the manual for the LC-32GP3U to see how it would work with my computers. The PC compatibility chart on page 16 left me confused.

Will this TV display 1920X1080 if I connect the DVI from my computer to an HDMI input with a conversion cable? That resolution is available from the PC.

Also, will it display 1920X1080 if I connect the analog RGB output from my notebook to the RGB (PC) input of the TV? The notebook show that resolution available at 60Hz.

If this TV will do either or both, then why doesn't 1920X1080 appear in the compatibility chart?

Thanks for the help.
Artcher

What input are you using on the TV and what type of cable are you using? I had to do some tweaking with my video card to get everything looking good. Something is definitely wrong in your case. Post some more info so we can help you.

You shouldn't have to tweak anything on your video card to get the gp3 to work properly. What were you having problems with in the first place? Maybe some of us could give some input?

I got the movie and the game to work...ashamed to admit it..but was disc issues, not tv issue..only took me 24 hrs to figure that out..grr. :)

Still having issues with calibration though...any suggestions would be great...right now I am using 'pc' av to view movies as all the rest are brutal..but it's so colorless..and 'game' setting for games is so dull. Could you list your settings..I haven't touched the 'hue' settings..too nervous :)

I am using hdmi from ps3 to lcd...xbox360 I am using component.

Question regarding ps3 setting...rbg (or is that rgb) or that 'ybc" <--forget what it says, but it's the option of 'auto' 'rbg' or the 'y' one...I have it on the 'y' now and have white option 'on'...if any of you are way more informed on this stuff than me could you please post your settings for lcd and ps3..sorry for being so needy...such a newbie...this is my 2nd lcd but first was a cheap little 26" toshiba 26hl37..it's decent but wanted this 1080 one....still buying a 46 or 50 when the new Samsung or Toshiba comes out..5.5 pull down..120hz, etc..oh yeah :)

Thanks to those that replied to my last posting..appreciate it.

The gp3 offers a lot of hardware and might be to much HDTV for some. Please make sure it is not user error before you blame it on the unit. It could lead false info to potential buyers. I only say this because if I didn't have the gp3 and read your post, it would sway me away. Once you figure it out, I know you'll love it.

I looked through the manual for the LC-32GP3U to see how it would work with my computers. The PC compatibility chart on page 16 left me confused.

Will this TV display 1920X1080 if I connect the DVI from my computer to an HDMI input with a conversion cable? That resolution is available from the PC.

Also, will it display 1920X1080 if I connect the analog RGB output from my notebook to the RGB (PC) input of the TV? The notebook show that resolution available at 60Hz.

If this TV will do either or both, then why doesn't 1920X1080 appear in the compatibility chart?

Thanks for the help.
Artcher

I know DVI to HDMI works at full 1920x1080. For the most part, you shouldn't worry if this will work as a computer monitor because it will. It will work very well imo. G'luck on your purchase whichever one you get.

Jung...........yes, fully agree..I tried to delete my first post so as to not give that impression to new buyers.

What settings do u use for calibration? U seem to have a grasp on this lcd..would appreciate any fine tuning suggestions..the games seem to have a lot of blur but I'm sure with the right tweaking this could be a non issue..just spent a few hours tweaking and unable to find happy tweak..so any help would be great :)

Jung...........yes, fully agree..I tried to delete my first post so as to not give that impression to new buyers.

What settings do u use for calibration? U seem to have a grasp on this lcd..would appreciate any fine tuning suggestions..the games seem to have a lot of blur but I'm sure with the right tweaking this could be a non issue..just spent a few hours tweaking and unable to find happy tweak..so any help would be great :)

For me I didn't have to do much tweaking at all for this HDTV, nothing that had to do with the video card for sure.

So we can better help you. Let us know some info like:

What input # are you using?

What AV Mode do you have it on?

OPC Off or On?

Blacklight/Contrast/Brightness/Color/Tint/Sharpness numbers.

Did you change any sittings in Advanced and if so what settings?

In the Advanced settings what is your Color Temp?

Are you using your video card scaler or the HDTV built in scaler (View Mode)?

Remember before you test out any new sittings, its best to start from default so you know how each sitting will affect the outcome. I am no expert in this HDTV. Some people on here might know things I don't and vice versa. I'm sure if we all put our input we can learn from one another.

I don't use my pc video card...mainly use lcd for ps3 games/movies and the xbox360 plus watching HD tv, mainly sports.

I have tried all the AC...just wondering what others have for their 'Preference' AV settings...at this point I'm watching blu-ray movies with either 'Standard or PC' settings as the other AV options don't look good with movies...game play with either xbox or ps3 looks dull and I use 'game' AV or 'Dynamic (not fixed) AV..my little dude stated he likes the 26" better than this (old Toshiba lcd) for playing his xbox360 Lego Star wars...told him it will get better once I fix settings...they get so picky so young :)

I switch from OPC off/on based on show. Currently have Color Temp on 'middle' and sometimes on 'middle high.'

What settings do u use for gaming and for movies and hdtv?

My current settings for TV as my preference (but not really my preference, just the best I can figure so far) is as follows (rest of my uses I use AV modes, but rather tweak with preference if someone has better)

OPC- On
Backlight: +1
Contrast: +40
Bright: -5
Color, Tint both 0
Sharp: +1
Color Temp: Middle
IP: Fast
Film: ON
OPC: max +16
min -16

Got most of those from a previous posting and just modified a little....any improvement would be welcomed!! :)

I am really interested in this TV, but I am going to use it for a PC monitor mainly.

I am really worried about the pixel width being .36 since I am used to LCDs having a .28 or less pixel width... I read a lot on my PC, so I need the text to be sharp... I will be sitting about 2 feet away.

Is it worse than a CRT or better? I really don't want to get headaches, and older CRTs give me headaches when reading.

Also, I have only seen the .36 mentioned here... how accurate is that? I can't find an official pixel width anywhere.

I don't use my pc video card...mainly use lcd for ps3 games/movies and the xbox360 plus watching HD tv, mainly sports.

I have tried all the AC...just wondering what others have for their 'Preference' AV settings...at this point I'm watching blu-ray movies with either 'Standard or PC' settings as the other AV options don't look good with movies...game play with either xbox or ps3 looks dull and I use 'game' AV or 'Dynamic (not fixed) AV..my little dude stated he likes the 26" better than this (old Toshiba lcd) for playing his xbox360 Lego Star wars...told him it will get better once I fix settings...they get so picky so young :)

I switch from OPC off/on based on show. Currently have Color Temp on 'middle' and sometimes on 'middle high.'

What settings do u use for gaming and for movies and hdtv?

My current settings for TV as my preference (but not really my preference, just the best I can figure so far) is as follows (rest of my uses I use AV modes, but rather tweak with preference if someone has better)

OPC- On
Backlight: +1
Contrast: +40
Bright: -5
Color, Tint both 0
Sharp: +1
Color Temp: Middle
IP: Fast
Film: ON
OPC: max +16
min -16

Got most of those from a previous posting and just modified a little....any improvement would be welcomed!! :)

I haven't used a console gaming device with this TV yet. I have watched HD DVD and play PC games with it. I believe all "AV MODE" setting are customizable to be the same besides "Dynamic (FIXED)".
I am not sure if this goes for console hook up as well. I do know that each "AV MODE" has their own settings for different connections. Example is when I'm in USER mode. The USER mode has different settings when I switch from Cable TV to PC and vice versa, but it is still under USER mode. I am sure this is for all settings as well beside "Dynamic (Fixed)"

Right now I use these settings for PC games and HD DVD:

OPC - On
Backlight - +9
Contrast - +29
Brightness - 0
Color - 0
Tint - 0
Sharpness - +1

[Advanced]
CMS -Hue - all 0 (default)
CMS -Saturation - all 0 (default)
Color Temp - Middle
Active Contrast - Off
Monochrome - Off
Range of OPC - Max +5 Min -5

Tip: I have all input skip but 5 for my pc use. I have game input for 5 and 3 (forgot why I put 3 as a game input). This is useful for fast switching between PC use and Cable TV viewing. While using my PC I could push channel +/- and it will change to Cable TV. From Cable TV I push "Game" and it will switch to PC.

Note: Input 7 which Sharp set primarily for game consoles has different default settings then the rest of the inputs in the back. However you can customize Input 7 like all the other inputs in the back to be the same as well. I'm talking about HDMI inputs.

These settings work for me right now. I might change them later on, but right now these are fine. You can use any "AV MODE" you like and customize it to your liking, beside "Dynamic (Fixed)" of course. I am currently using USER mode for regular PC use and GAME mode for PC gaming and HD DVD. I am sure there are other things about this HDTV I don't know about, but those are just some stuff I learn so far. Some of the stuff I learn were by accident. Reading the User manual helps but I don't think it taught me as much as actually using it and testing out features.

I am really interested in this TV, but I am going to use it for a PC monitor mainly.

I am really worried about the pixel width being .36 since I am used to LCDs having a .28 or less pixel width... I read a lot on my PC, so I need the text to be sharp... I will be sitting about 2 feet away.

Is it worse than a CRT or better? I really don't want to get headaches, and older CRTs give me headaches when reading.

Also, I have only seen the .36 mentioned here... how accurate is that? I can't find an official pixel width anywhere.

I will "never" go back to CRT. You will not notice the pixel and I sit about 3ft away. Before when I didn't have it wall mounted it was 2ft away. I use this HDTV as a PC monitor. I rarely watch Cable TV and I don't watch HD DVD much. I set the Font DPI to 130 and I use FireFox 3 beta 4 with the new Page Zoom feature. I don't have perfect vision so your results will vary because of course if you have good vision you will not need to set the Font DPI. I still think its good to go above the norm because reading small text for long periods of time will fatigue your eyes. I also wear sunglasses most of the time when I'm in front of the PC. It helps and more relaxing on the eyes for long use, no eye burns.

I wouldn't worry if this will work as a PC monitor, it will and it will work great. I would be more worry If I had enough desk real estate.
Good luck on whichever HDTV or monitor you choose.

Dang! Bestbuy is not getting this TV!!!

screw you BB!

So they're never going to carry this model? Are they not carrying the series anymore or just going to stick with the GP1? Guess there's no easy way for me to buy and test out this monitor.

Has anybody hooked this up to a macbook pro via DVI->HDMI cable? I am currently using a Dell 2405 and I am sitting about 2.5' away. Is this too close? Will I see pixels?

Also, I think its input 6, has the audio inputs as well so I can play sounds from the laptop, correct?

I will be using the Mac/PS3 for this.

Thanks.

Has anybody hooked this up to a macbook pro via DVI->HDMI cable? I am currently using a Dell 2405 and I am sitting about 2.5' away. Is this too close? Will I see pixels?

Also, I think its input 6, has the audio inputs as well so I can play sounds from the laptop, correct?

I will be using the Mac/PS3 for this.

Thanks.

Will try to hook it up to my Macbook Pro via DVI-HDMI this weekend and report back.

Hey guys I saw this quote in the 1080p 32" thread:

Been through 3 large LCDs recently...probably the 4065F Samsung will be a keeper...(though it has an annoying buzz I sometimes hear...)

I'd suggest considering a 40 inch model if at all possible. More to chose from....

And I'd be weary of banding on the Sharp sets, which was a deal breaker for me...

whats this banding hes talking about and it is on the gp3u model?

Hey guys I saw this quote in the 1080p 32" thread:

whats this banding hes talking about and it is on the gp3u model?

I think he's talking about vertical banding? Its a defect with some LCD, has nothing to do with Sharp in general. It can happen to any LCD. I wouldn't worry about it to much. If he is suggesting a 40" HDTV monitor that will be 2-3ft away from you I would take his opinion with a grain of salt, big one. When he says he has been through 3 LCD does he mean actual computer monitor or HDTV because I been through 4 LCD computer monitors and I have 2 1080p HDTV. No banding problem with either one of them. *knock on something. He doesn't mention the GP3 either, just Sharp in general. I might of missed it but I haven't read any issues on the GP3 on this forum.

I think he's talking about vertical banding? Its a defect with some LCD, has nothing to do with Sharp in general. It can happen to any LCD. I wouldn't worry about it to much. If he is suggesting a 40" HDTV monitor that will be 2-3ft away from you I would take his opinion with a grain of salt, big one. When he says he has been through 3 LCD does he mean actual computer monitor or HDTV because I been through 4 LCD computer monitors and I have 2 1080p HDTV. No banding problem with either one of them. *knock on something. He doesn't mention the GP3 either, just Sharp in general. I might of missed it but I haven't read any issues on the GP3 on this forum.

Check out AVS forum for a discussion of Sharp and banding. It's a manufacturing defect some Sharp panels have (maybe others too). I would suggest buying a Sharp (or any LCD) only from a place with a good return policy. And when you get it back home, dim the lights, put on a game such as Half Life 2, and go into a shadowy area like that first backroom you have to escape from, and look for vertical bands of brightness.

The GP3U I had, had one vertical band so bad I saw it while looking at the all white Google news page. However, it was only during gaming in dark scenes that I found that band and other smaller ones too distracting. Kind of like looking through a mask, because the game moves, but of course those bands don't...

And of course, also look for bad pixels, etc. And I'd suggest you leave the monitor on as much as possible during the return period, so weak pixels fail during the return period, if you can get them too...

BTW: As to the 40 inch panel, I know it sounds dubious, but at 4 to 5 feet away (you need a deeper desk) it can work. I will probably buy a different stand though to lower it's height. And it was cheaper than the Sharp...(and it has the shiny screen, which I thought was nuts, but now I'm hooked on...though you can't have a window behind you....)

I found the appearance of text quite similar to that on the pro-CRT I had beside it. The LCD of course had superior static contrast. (Text is a bit clearer on a Samsung and other panels with traditional LCD pixel layouts, because of Sharp's aforementioned multi-pixel tech which splits up pixels...)

Text is kind of ugly with big pixels if you don't enable ClearType....

Disregard this if it's already been mentioned but Sharp has a 26" 1080p display in the Japanese market for a few months which has a regular pixel alignment. It's possible they may bring it over to North America which may be of interest to some of you.

Disregard this if it's already been mentioned but Sharp has a 26" 1080p display in the Japanese market for a few months which has a regular pixel alignment. It's possible they may bring it over to North America which may be of interest to some of you.

Somehow I think the 32" would be a better value, unless Sharp plans on introducing it at a reasonable price. Considering it's also a TV...I am pessimistic.

Still, out of curiousity, what model number is it? I'm presuming the same 2008 generation as this line?

The 32" 1080p XBR6 is now available in many locations at a decent price, and the 37" XBR6 should be in stock soon. Waiting to hear how it compares both for PQ and input lag to the Sharps.

Sorry i havent responded sooner (too much enjoyment from my GP3U), but i will put in my 2 cents worth about this FANTASIC LCD. I have had it for about 3 months now and have had nothing but good to say about it. Text is never fuzzy, and gaming at 1080p is PLENTY for which ever game you desire in my opinion. I play Oblivion, Call Of Duty 4, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, and Crysis on this lcd and it is pure bliss! I bought mine from pcnation.com and they offered prompt shipping (free 3 day btw) at a total of 1207! if you are still considering this over a 30 inch monitor, stop considering! Buy this right now. :D

Has anyone had the chance to compare this to the 32XBR6? I would really like to get the opinion from someone who has had experience with both.

Thanks
Timm

Sharp GP3 $999

Sharp is giving you the chance to take advantage of a terrific opportunity; between now and Friday, May 30, 2008 at 6:00 PM New Jersey time (Eastern Time) you can save up to 60% off Sharp AQUOS LCD TVs ranging in screen sizes from 20” to 65” (19-11/16” to 64-33/64” diagonal) and assorted Audio products!

In order to gain access to these incredible hot savings, please visit http://www.sharpusa.com/TVsale and enter the following information when you see the login screen:

Sharp Employee E-mail Address: [email protected]

Personal Promotion Code: sharptvsale

The order and credit card transaction will take place over the web at http://www.sharpusa.com/TVsale, but you must pick up their TV at one of our three warehouses (Mahwah, Romeoville, or Huntington Beach ) this Saturday, May 31, 2008 between 10:00 AM and 3:00 PM local times. You must print out the your order confirmation and present it when picking up the order, without the printed order confirmation, you will not be able to pick up your order. If the order is not picked up over the weekend during the specific time, your order will be cancelled and the credit card used will be refunded. All orders must be picked up Saturday, May 31, 2008, there are no exceptions.

Each purchaser is limited to two (2) units for the duration of the promotion. NOTE: Please be sure proper transportation is brought to pick-up an order. If the television box cannot be transported securely, the order will be forfeited and cancelled at Sharp’s discretion. Shipping supplies (rope, bungee cord, etc) will not be supplied.

These "hot" savings won’t last for long, and right now is the perfect time to upgrade to a brand new or reconditioned Sharp AQUOS LCD-TV!

How's the blacks on this HDTV, is it comparable to the Panasonic 32LZ800? I know this monitor came out long before the LZ800, is the GP3U still worth it? Because the LZ800 is an IPS panel while this is a TFT (if i am correct).

Quoted from duckymcse:
"1. Single color uniformity: not that good (the 4 corner and left and right of the screen is slight darker than the middle of the screen).
2. Slightly changes in brightness between from the non-active windows vs active windows."

Are these 2 things still issues after turning off the dynamic contrast setting?

Right now, I don't know if the Panasonic is locally available for me yet since I am from Canada and probably more expensive than the US. Also I can possibly get the GP3U for $1000-1100 after tax. So I am really considering if this 32" is best choice currently, since the LZ800 has a buzz issue. As well from what I read on here and AVSforum, the Sony XBR6 and Samsung are not great buy compare to the LZ800.

So I would like others' opinions and any other suggestions are welcome.

How's the blacks on this HDTV, is it comparable to the Panasonic 32LZ800? I know this monitor came out long before the LZ800, is the GP3U still worth it? Because the LZ800 is an IPS panel while this is a TFT (if i am correct).

Quoted from duckymcse:
"1. Single color uniformity: not that good (the 4 corner and left and right of the screen is slight darker than the middle of the screen).
2. Slightly changes in brightness between from the non-active windows vs active windows."

Are these 2 things still issues after turning off the dynamic contrast setting?

Right now, I don't know if the Panasonic is locally available for me yet since I am from Canada and probably more expensive than the US. Also I can possibly get the GP3U for $1000-1100 after tax. So I am really considering if this 32" is best choice currently, since the LZ800 has a buzz issue. As well from what I read on here and AVSforum, the Sony XBR6 and Samsung are not great buy compare to the LZ800.

So I would like others' opinions and any other suggestions are welcome.

They are all TFT, the Sharp id ASV (an improved VA tech).

I am looking to get a new screen and since this screen is only a few hundred dollars more than the NEC lcd2490wuxi and lcd2690wuxi, How is the quality of this Sharp compare to those NEC for multimedia use such as pc/console gaming, HD DVD movies, Internet usage and general applications. Size is not a problem just want to know the quality differences.

Thank you

I believe the Vyper Drive is supposed to reduce the input lag, that's what they market the GP series for.

And the conclusion is?

We don't even have a GP vs. non-GP comparison, much less vs. a CRT. Considering it's VA tech, I doubt it's going to have lag that's much better than the LG 246 (what I consider the best VA panel - for PC monitors). Now I could probably live with the 20 or so ms input lag, but 2 frames, as an average value, is getting too high.

So what are the numbers?

Input lag is caused by the processing electronics more than the panel itself. The reason you notice a pattern for PVA or IPS is because there are only a few processing solutions available for each panel from a manufacturer, so they tend to have similar input lag numbers.

And yes, the Sharp GP series has lower input lag than the LG or the Dell 2407 (which was much better than the 2408).

Sharp is a large manufacturer, uses their own processing electronics, and the Vyper mode lag is not characteristic of PVA panels.

How does this sharp compare to the samsung 32"ers? I am considering a 32" and think its between the 2 of these. I currently have a 20" non-widescreen and want to upgrade to anywhere between a 24-32" but it seems for the price this may be the way to go; still not quite sure, but it seems that most people are getting into the larger displays and the 30"ers do not seem to have enough inputs (at least computer monitors)

How does this sharp compare to the samsung 32"ers? I am considering a 32" and think its between the 2 of these. I currently have a 20" non-widescreen and want to upgrade to anywhere between a 24-32" but it seems for the price this may be the way to go; still not quite sure, but it seems that most people are getting into the larger displays and the 30"ers do not seem to have enough inputs (at least computer monitors)

You'll find some comments on this further back in the forums. (Sorry, lazy answer, but this has come up before...)

Back