Sharp announces new GP series 32" 1080p gaming LCD - LC-32GP3U

sethk

2[H]4U
Didn't find another thread about this, but this caught my eye -

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/06/sharp-reveals-gamer-centric-1080p-lc-32gp3u-aquos-lcd-tv/

and the money shots:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/12/06/sharps-lc-32gp3u-gamer-lcd-in-living-color/

32", 1920x1080p, 24fps (film speed) capable (for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD without the 24 -> 60fps conversion), 3 case colors, "Vyper Drive" low input lag mode with dedicated button, subwoofer audio output, two component / three HDMI 1.3 inputs, a VGA port, 10,000:1 contrast ratio, six-millisecond response time, integrated ATSC / NTSC tuner with Clear QAM support, 450 cd/m2 brightness and 176-degree viewing angles. MSRP is $1,599, which is lower than the LC-32GP1U when it launched, and street prices will almost certainly be lower.

Overall sounds like a minor improvement over the 32GP1U, so I'm sure owners of the former won't be feeling too left out.

I'm a 32GP1U owner, and I'm happy with it. Just wish the reds/blues for text will look better on the newer model. If they come out with a 37 inch version like did with the old model, maybe I'll pick that one up.

Differences include 24fps support, probably a slightly newer refresh of the same panel, more bezel color options, HDMI 1.3 support (not a big deal, really). The inputs are different at 3 HDMI + VGA + 2 Component. Dedicated Vyper drive button. All in all, not too much.

Well, hopefully they've also fixed the dynamic contrast issue and color issues some folks have...

That would be nice. Hope the DC is completely defeatable for desktop mode usage and when engaged has fewer noticeable effects on the picture.

Anyone got this panel yet? I'm very tempting to pull the trigger to buy it at J&R.
I didn't see it mention it include DVI input. Does the HDMI can be use for the PC to run at resolution of 1920x1080 ? I got to make sure it is capable of running that resolution before I pull the trigger.

This LCD does not have DVI input. I suspect the reasoning behind this was the poor reds that would appear when using it as a PC monitor. It's sort of a downgrade considering it's an analog input but there are still 3 HDMI ports. I'm using my Samsung 23" LCD TV with analog and I must say the picture indeed looks sharper than when I plugged it in with DVI/HDMI. Haven't really noticed lag but I guess I can't really tell the difference.

I used an earlier model 26 inch Aquos as a PC monitor a couple of years ago. It was from before they introduced "dynamic contrast" and the color had extensive user accessible adjustments. And in use, its picture basically looked like any other PC LCD display. (Except lower resolution and brighter due to its TV function.)

Presumably there is no reason the dynamic contrast off switch can't be fixed. Or that reds have to be off...

I guess we'll see....

I just ordered one of these yesturday from JR - $1279 with HDMI -DVI cable. I should have it by Friday or maybe even today if it ships. I was looking at getting the Sharp LC-32D62U before until I saw this or one of these threads. I changed my mind to this one just to give it a shot I suppose. It's going to be used as a monitor so we'll see how it looks.

Bubbkushc5 - if you could post your impressions of the monitor when you get it, that would be great!

Of particular interest would be:
  • How does it look with a full black screen? Is it pretty uniform or do you see any banding / non-uniformity?
  • Do you see any dimming / brightening effects on the background (for example a mostly black background such as the hardforum webpage in full screen mode) if you open a full white window and resize it from very small to increasingly large? Does the background change in brightness / color?
  • How is the gaming? Do you notice any input lag or any strange effects when gaming? (Hopefully not since the 32GP1U got this right.)

Back