Sharp 42" LCD $200 Best Buy BF special purchase

=HPSF=Roadrunner

Limp Gawd
Ok, I don't get credit (but I'll take any rep) as this is a Slickdeals find.

Let me point out, from what I can tell, using my vast connections, this is a Chinese manufactured Sharp, not a Japanese manufactured panel, from their Quattron, or even the Aquos line. The quality will be questionable at this price, but it's a $200 42" LCD. What do you expect? This is also a one-shot, limited quantity, "special purchase" similar to the 40" LED Quattron for $599 they did late this summer. I am hoping the picture is comparable to the LC60E78 for example, but I doubt it. I am also going to assume it's only 60hz, and probably even only 720p. Still, I am going to try and score a couple, one for the roommates bedroom, one as a monitor for my gaming rig. If anyone else manages to snag one, I would be curious how they like it, and what they use it for, where they got it, and how hard to get etc.

http://bfads.net/Ad/Best-Buy-2011

That's an add scan. It only shows Sharp 42" LCD. The model number listed is a weird one, and I wasn't able to find any info on it. minimum 10 per store, but I think adds may be regional, so maybe different markets won't have them.

LMK what you find out!

When does the store open at midnight? I don't see a date on that part of the ad, I see the BF day stuff though...

[H]'er;1038011919 said:
When does the store open at midnight? I don't see a date on that part of the ad, I see the BF day stuff though...

It says 12:00 A.M. Friday... :confused:

That 24" 1080P Dynex LCD TV for $79 looks like an ok cheapie LCD.

I bet a 2 or 4 year extended warranty for it would be dirt cheap also... an extra $10-$15 for some additional piece of mind...

Good luck... I usually just look at Best Buy's ads for a laugh. Unless you feel like camping out in front of the stores for two days in advance for a small chance at a $200 TV.

I guess I'm turning into an old fuddy duddy or something but I don't even you could pay me to camp out in a BB Black Friday line. :D

Good luck... I usually just look at Best Buy's ads for a laugh. Unless you feel like camping out in front of the stores for two days in advance for a small chance at a $200 TV.

I guess I'm turning into an old fuddy duddy or something but I don't even you could pay me to camp out in a BB Black Friday line. :D

Yep, I imagine you will need to be waiting in line for a long time to get one of the 10 minimum for this TV. It's a great price, though.

if there going to ahve a sharp 42" for 200 bucks then the Dynex 32" they have with a price of TBD should be like 100 bucks.

Best Buy is going to hand out numbers to people in line and let so many in at a time. They going to start handing them out like 2 hours before opening. So going to have to get there really early to get in first.

Something about this seems too good to be true, if you get one you should definitely buy an extended warranty with it.

Guess it comes down to how much your time is worth. Haven't priced similar 42" TVs lately, but for the size, it couldn't be more than maybe $500 normally and is it worth 24 (I would assume minimum) hours in line to save $300? Your time is worth $12.50/hr at that point assuming 24 hrs is enough. 24hrs in the cold and possibly wet without the use of a toilet is enough for me to say no. I make a lot more than that sitting in a chair in a nice warm office and don't mind paying more to stay home with family on Thanksgiving rather than camping out. Of course some people might have crazy families and love to use that excuse to get away from them. In that case, I'd say go for it since staying sane is priceless. :D

So let me get this straight, I should go stand in a line for who knows how long, in who can imagine what kind of weather, just to find out they sold the three TVs they had in stock the first five minutes of the sale? I think I'll pass.

So let me get this straight, I should go stand in a line for who knows how long, in who can imagine what kind of weather, just to find out they sold the three TVs they had in stock the first five minutes of the sale? I think I'll pass.

They have a minimum of 10. So if you aren't 10th in line, forget about it.

Hopefully they will have these two TV's in the premier silver member beat the rush sale. Here is a quote from the email:

As a Premier Silver member, you get first access to items featured in our Black Friday ad, starting Monday, 11/21 from noon to midnight ET, online or phone.

i think the walmart 42" emerson 1080p lcd is a safer bet @ $248. I may try to score that one. All depends on what newegg might ship to my door for $300 or less.

i went from a 40" 60hz 1080p westinghouse to a 42" 120hz 1080p hannspree i cant really say i noticed a difference.. what im wondering is is the extra 60hx really a advantage?? i would like to upgrade to the 46" at that price!

The only time when 120+ hz is going to make a difference is:

1. You actually LIKE the 'TruMotion' type motion resolution smoothing and turn it on in the TV's options. It 'smooths' the 24p motion of film to up to 120p. Useful only to grandma as most cinephiles think this type of motion smoothing is horrid and ruins the movie experience.

2. The TV is 3D ready, in which case the higher the refresh rate the more frames can be sent to each eye. That's why active shutter 3D TVs are always at least 120hz (so they can send 60 frames per second to each eye).

The only 'advantage' a cheapie 120hz TV is going to have is number 1 above.

Ok, I don't get credit (but I'll take any rep) as this is a Slickdeals find.

Let me point out, from what I can tell, using my vast connections, this is a Chinese manufactured Sharp, not a Japanese manufactured panel, from their Quattron, or even the Aquos line. The quality will be questionable at this price, but it's a $200 42" LCD. What do you expect? This is also a one-shot, limited quantity, "special purchase" similar to the 40" LED Quattron for $599 they did late this summer. I am hoping the picture is comparable to the LC60E78 for example, but I doubt it. I am also going to assume it's only 60hz, and probably even only 720p. Still, I am going to try and score a couple, one for the roommates bedroom, one as a monitor for my gaming rig. If anyone else manages to snag one, I would be curious how they like it, and what they use it for, where they got it, and how hard to get etc.

http://bfads.net/Ad/Best-Buy-2011

That's an add scan. It only shows Sharp 42" LCD. The model number listed is a weird one, and I wasn't able to find any info on it. minimum 10 per store, but I think adds may be regional, so maybe different markets won't have them.

LMK what you find out!

One as a monitor for the gaming rig is not going to work out very well for you. You're going to need 1080p with a screen that size.

1. You actually LIKE the 'TruMotion' type motion resolution smoothing and turn it on in the TV's options. It 'smooths' the 24p motion of film to up to 120p. Useful only to grandma as most cinephiles think this type of motion smoothing is horrid and ruins the movie experience.

2. The TV is 3D ready, in which case the higher the refresh rate the more frames can be sent to each eye. That's why active shutter 3D TVs are always at least 120hz (so they can send 60 frames per second to each eye).

The only 'advantage' a cheapie 120hz TV is going to have is number 1 above.

Will any monitor that's 120hz work with 3D or does it have to be "3D ready"? I've enabled 3D Vision through the nvidia control panel on my 60hz LCD multiple times and played games in 3D with some shitty little red/blue glasses.

Will any monitor that's 120hz work with 3D or does it have to be "3D ready"? I've enabled 3D Vision through the nvidia control panel on my 60hz LCD multiple times and played games in 3D with some shitty little red/blue glasses.

There are very few TVs that are TRUE 120hz capable - meaning they can take a 120hz input signal and display it. Nearly all TVs that say 120hz (or above) merely interpolate a 60hz input signal to be displayed on the screen. As such you can not just use 'any' 120hz TV to display stereoscopic 3D using LCD or passive glasses.

Now if you're talking about PC monitors - there are some 120hz capable LCD monitors out there that are 3D Ready, namely those that support Nvidia's 3D Vision system. They have a built-in IR emitter that works with Nvidia active shutter glasses to give you 3D. And on the monitors that don't have an IR emitter you can get a USB IR emitter to make them 3D capable.

But this is getting off topic to this hot deals thread...

No, a 60Hz monitor can't display a 24Hz video without interlacing, which many people find annoying. 120Hz fixes that.

200 dollars for a questionable brand -- would be totally worth it if I didn't have to fight sad desperate people with nothing better to live for in line just to get it.

Even if the quality sucks and it pisses you off, you can always return it. If you invested 24 hours of line sitting though you are either 1) unemployed or 2) make less than minimum wage (based on time waiting vs opportunity cost)

10 per store is pretty much nothing -- investing all that time and stupidity when there will be the same excellent deals AFTER the holidays just makes no sense to me.

It was mentioned before -- I wonder how many employees or shoppers are going to get trampled and or killed this year because some loser piece of shit wants to shave 50 bucks on a TV they don't even need in the first place.

For being 15 trillion in debt as a nation - we sure don't act like it.

200 dollars for a questionable brand -- would be totally worth it if I didn't have to fight sad desperate people with nothing better to live for in line just to get it.

Even if the quality sucks and it pisses you off, you can always return it. If you invested 24 hours of line sitting though you are either 1) unemployed or 2) make less than minimum wage (based on time waiting vs opportunity cost)

10 per store is pretty much nothing -- investing all that time and stupidity when there will be the same excellent deals AFTER the holidays just makes no sense to me.

It was mentioned before -- I wonder how many employees or shoppers are going to get trampled and or killed this year because some loser piece of shit wants to shave 50 bucks on a TV they don't even need in the first place.

For being 15 trillion in debt as a nation - we sure don't act like it.

lol...+1

From past experience with sitting in line at my local Best Buy, its not worth it.

Got there 6PM Thanksgiving night and was like 14th in line, store didn't open until around 4am.
The people in front of us had a tent, my brother and I on the other hand were freezing our asses off until the 'rents did a food/blanket drop around midnight. Ended up getting a laptop for $250 but never again. It was a ****ing mad house as soon as the doors opened.

There are already 4 people in line at my local bestbuy, and they have been there since Thursday...

No, a 60Hz monitor can't display a 24Hz video without interlacing, which many people find annoying. 120Hz fixes that.

say what? LCD and plasma TV's and monitors display ALL video in progressive scan format. Any format that the monitor/TV accepts including interlaced sources is converted in the TV set and scaled to the panel's native resolution or the equipment outputting the vdeo to the monitor will do the processing/scaling (PC monitors may or may not do this). My 3 year old LG can display 1080p/24fps video just fine. They have to display video in prograssive format since LCD and plasma displays do not operate like CRTs which can display interlaced video natively.....it's not hard for a LCD to display 24p video as LCD does not have a refresh rate per sae...LCDs only update the display when they are told to.

Computer monitors simply won't display resolutions that they do not support and proper drivers will not let you select display modes not supported unless you override that feature. All video will be converted by the video adapter to the correct display format

Last edited:
Anybody manage to score on of these? A friend went around 8:00 last night and couldn't get a single thing.

Anybody manage to score on of these? A friend went around 8:00 last night and couldn't get a single thing.

To get one of these at my local Best Buy you'd have had to go Wednesday evening and camp out the entire Thanksgiving day. I drove past at 4pm yesterday just to see what sort of chance I had, and the line was already around 200 people deep. The line winding around the entire building and down the road a few blocks.

Don't go out to eat for a week or two and save up the extra $100-200 to buy the equivalent/better. Sacraficing elsewhere to afford a TV is much more appealing to me than completely throwing a good holiday away for.

Back