sharp 32" 4k monitor - who else is planning on getting it?

ati would power it the same way. thru MTS - it would still be 2 1080p screens.

when I get the screen tomorrow i'm going to see if I can OC the one screen @ 4k to 60hz

ati would power it the same way. thru MTS - it would still be 2 1080p screens.

when I get the screen tomorrow i'm going to see if I can OC the one screen @ 4k to 60hz

do you know is the limitation caused by DP or driver issue?

it *should* be able to run full screen - i'm not sure why it isn't. but sharp has shown demos of crysis 3 running on 7970s

4k at 30hz can still display a lot of info, but yeah it would need to be pretty static....

there are people who could still benefit from it. never hurts to have options.

Reponse from Evga/Nvidia:

Hello,
I have a follow up from the product team.
This particular display is a Tiled display, meaning it REQUIRES dual inputs in order to operate at the full 60Hz.
This is NOT supported on GeForce.
GeForce supports 4K displays that use a single DisplayPort connector.

Reponse from Evga/Nvidia:

Hello,
I have a follow up from the product team.
This particular display is a Tiled display, meaning it REQUIRES dual inputs in order to operate at the full 60Hz.
This is NOT supported on GeForce on Windows 7/8/Vista
GeForce supports 4K displays that use a single DisplayPort connector.

Let me fix that for you...

omega666: how did u get mts to work with you titan? i'm seeing now way to get 2 screens from one DP cable?

and ugh.. edge lit stuff suck. My other monitor was is LED backlit (and think)

I tried to OC the hz, but it didn't like anything other than 30hz @ 4k on DP.

@houkouonchi - you mean it works on *nixes?

Yes that feature still works on *nix and also Windows XP/server 2003/XP pro 64-bit. I drive a T221 9503-DGP on linux which has to do the same thing (two 1920x2400 halves) which get shown as a single monitor to the machine.

omega666: how did u get mts to work with you titan? i'm seeing now way to get 2 screens from one DP cable?

and ugh.. edge lit stuff suck. My other monitor was is LED backlit (and think)

I tried to OC the hz, but it didn't like anything other than 30hz @ 4k on DP.

In the OSD menu you have to change the displayport stream setting from SST to MST.

Yes that feature still works on *nix and also Windows XP/server 2003/XP pro 64-bit. I drive a T221 9503-DGP on linux which has to do the same thing (two 1920x2400 halves) which get shown as a single monitor to the machine.

Gotcha, thanks.

In the OSD menu you have to change the displayport stream setting from SST to MST.

thanks.. blah.. the OCD makes me wanna punch a baby!
looking at the screen makes my eyes feel... "odd".. kinda like when I watch a 3d movie? you too? I lowered brightness to 15 and black level to 20.. maybe some other setting... *shrug* I don't think it is because it is to small.

Last edited:
general question about SLI, NVidia and multiscreen? what is the right way to do it?
clearly on DP and MST makes it so the NVidia/game doesn't see multi screen gaming.

do you connect all screens to one video card and have sli on? have a video card to each card with sli off? (thus screwing me any my tri-sli)?
in the end NVidia f'd up something. With DP MTS we should have access to span displays with surround.

bf3 @ 4k: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnT5JKRtsM

Last edited:
that was just @ 30hz - I have the desktop @ 60hz now.. but I think i'm just going to use hdmi to get surround working.

How is the frame latency when running games at full resolution. Also, subjectively, how smooth is non-gaming desktop performance at 30Hz?

I can't tell with gaming because it can only play at 30hz.. which is total ass.
but desktop perf is great.

Last edited:
Even at 30 Hz you can measure latency. That's just time between frames and whether or not it's even.

Just using DP MST mode. Left side of screen is one "monitor" and right side is the other. Its like having 2 monitors without the bezel in between. It is 60hz but you can't fullscreen cause you can only fullscreen to one "monitor" but in Windowed mode I can force it to cover both "monitors". This doesn't work with all games though.

Well, you can try softth. It can work with dx9 games. That would give you 60hz gaming fullscreen. Otherwise it looks like you need to go amd and use eyefinity because they support any number of monitors up to 6 in a group.

What's the problem with Nvidia's version of Eyefinity with this monitor?

can the DVI specification support 4K res at 60Hz? im assuming frame latency would be a huge issue as well

can the DVI specification support 4K res at 60Hz? im assuming frame latency would be a huge issue as well

There is no current specification for DVI-D, the governing body disbanded over a decade ago. That said, DVI-D with currently manufactured cables requires 2 cables for 60hz. However, displayport 1.2 on a single cable works. So realistically, PC 4k monitors will all use displayport.

How much can this panel be over locked to? I would be pretty happy if it could do at least 75hz.

I am not a big fan of ATI either but unfortunately when you have a monitor that requires multiple inputs to get the full refresh rate its your only real option for windows 7/vista/8.

Luckily I don't run windows so I can still use nvidia. I find it funny that ATI was able to work-around the supposed issues that nvidia used as a reason that they stopped allowing spanning modes yet its still borked on nvidia =(.

*sigh* I guess i'll just play games @ 30hz till a better monitor comes out..

I refused to get ati/amd again (which would work @ 60hz because eyefinity is, in fact, pretty good)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZbeNK23Unk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTnT5JKRtsM

some game @ 4k.. ugh.. cap'n at this rez takes up a lot of space :p

So let me get this straight...you got a five thousand dollar monitor but you refuse to buy a $350 amd gpu or two so you can run 60hz and instead you would rather suffer with 30hz? Yea makes perfect sense.

look at my sig.. I also spend over 3k on titans.. (also the monitor was closer to 4k.. but yes... still enough for your example) :)

I just move from a bunch of 7970s (5 are sitting under my desk) but they SUCK!!

they don't have the power to run games @ 4k. if crossfire works (that is a big IF), it gets slower the more cards I add... crossfire 2 is faster that 3 cards in crossfire (other than in bf3).

worthless crap.

i'd rather have 60-100fps+ @ 30hz then sub 40 @ 60hz

they fucked up thing is NVidia HAS it work, they just refused to put it on their Geforce line.

Last edited:
they fucked up thing is NVidia HAS it work, they just refused to put it on their Geforce line.

Indeed. I guess you can do it with mosiac. So I guess your option is to buy some quadro's instead? I can kind of understand not wanting to use ATI due to principal.

it isn't just principal.. crossfire more than 2 cards is totally worthless (that is not even taking in to account that those numbers are most wrong because of all the ati frame counting crap).

nothing is running games at this rez now unless it is multi titans.

that said, 30hz isn't bad.. it isn't like it is 30fps. yeah some tearing - but I never played with vsync on in the past.. so I've always seen stuff like that.

I also still have my htpc with 2 gtx 680 classified. I can play games on my TV with that (I too still have my 30")

@houkouonchi - hrmm.. thanks for that link!

Last edited:
Back