Sharing/Private folder problem!

rclayton

n00b
I am trying to share my wife's My Docs folder on our network but it will not allow access. I've got mine shared and there is no problem access it. I can even share other folderes on her PC without fail.

From what I can see, the folder C:/Documents and Settings/Her_User_Name is marked as private, but the checkbox is greyed out, not allowing me to make the folder 'public'.

I've tried switching off Simple File Sharing and then sharing that folder on the network, but we are still unable to access it.

She's on XP Pro SP1, NTFS, and her user account has admin rights.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
TIA

Ryan

Thanks, but I'm not sure that's helpful. I'm 100% sure I just need to uncheck the 'private' option to make it work, but like I said that's greyed out on her PC.

Where are you seeing it as "private"? I do not see any such option under the folder options.

When you view a folders Properties, it's on the sharing tab. If you have Simple File Sharing turned off then you won't see this.

But, I've turned off Simple File Sharing, then shared the folder and still no luck.....somehow XP thinks that folder is private......

Have ya tried putting her folder in the all users documents folder? If thats all you want to do, its the way XP recommends it

No I hadn't tried that, but I suppose I can give it a shot, but what I don't understand is how her folder is marked as Private and it doesn't allow you to uncheck that. My PC has the option unchecked and available....honestly though, I'm afraid to check it and then try to uncheck for fear I get mine screwy too.

Mebbe try logging into her machine as admin and seeing what permissions are on her folders. Certain lock down progs will change settings for you, or possibly some other program modified the folder settings.

Back