Sharing internet

c0ex

Gawd
I have a wireless network. I have a desktop downstairs and somebody hooks up a ethernet cable from there to their laptop getting internet. I was wondoring If there is anyway to prevent this from happening?

c0ex said:
I have a wireless network. I have a desktop downstairs and somebody hooks up a ethernet cable from there to their laptop getting internet. I was wondoring If there is anyway to prevent this from happening?

Um, where do you live that somone is just hooking up to your wired network? Or do u mean..they are stealing your wireless internet? :confused:

c0ex said:
it is my brother who is who is not suppose to have internet.

Ah, well, go into your router, and you can tell it to only hand out so many IP address's

If your router supports MAC filtering just find out what the laptop's mac address is and block it.
If the router keeps logs and has not been powered down since he last connected the MAC might be shown there. ;)

I had blocked his MAC address but that still doesnt work! I blocked the limewire port the the computer that he is geting internet from. I cant block port 80 for that computer b/c I use that computer for internet. Also do you know if it is possible to use a cat 5e cable from a computer to a laptop?

Did you look to see if you could allow only x many ip addresses? and are you sure you blocked the right mac address? and yes you can hook a laptop to a comptuer via ethernet cable

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't he set up the Router with a Lan subnet mask to only allow as many computers(Powers of 2) as he specifically wants on the Lan?

Say he only wants two computers on the lan, set the router with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.252

This would mean that if the router was using 192.168.1.1, Computer A is on 192.168.1.2, Computer B is on 192.168.1.3, Broadcast is on 192.168.1.4, rendering all other IP addresses useless for accessing the internet?

Also, since it appears he is using the second NIC in one of your computers and ICS, you could disable the ICS service as well as disable the second NIC in the bios.

(Right click My Computer, Manage, Services and Applications, Services, Windows Firewall/ICS, Disable.)

If he is going through your computer, then just control access to your computer so that he can't use it to set up any sort of forwarding.

Back