Sharing internet through wireless

nismohks

Limp Gawd
i have 2 Pcs and 2 laptops, a :
AMD 800 desktop
Athlon XP 1700+ desktop
Toshiba P4 1.6 laptop
Sony Vaio Z1 P4 1.6 laptop

My 2 desktops are linked to my cable internet by having the cable modem connect to one LAN port of my AMD800 then another network card connects the pc to an 8 port hub. the 8 port hub connects to my AthlonXP and my Sony laptop. What i want to do is to use the Sony and its built in wireless to host internet with my Toshiba which has a PCMCIA wireless card atached to it. ive trid to share the LAN connection of the Sony to enable internet sharing, but it doesnt work. The Sony and Toshiba can see each other on the workgroups in MY Netowrk Places. I am using WINXP PRO. can i actually share the internet like this?

I don't think you can share IP traffic like that without using some type of router, unless you setup a NAT server on your computer hooked to the cable modem. If you can, the easiest thing to do is to get some type of wireless router, like a linksys. It has a built in 4 port switch so you can hook your PCs to it and wireless so your laptop will work. Cheers.

So u mean i cant use my laptop as a wireless serverr sortta thing to connect other laptops via wireless which connect to it and share its internet?

I think only if it's the host PC, which means you need to plug it's lan port into the cable modem, then you can't share with the desktops unless you get another PCMCIA lan card for it. ICS sucks anyway. The best thing would be to get a wireless router. Plug your cable modem into it's WAN port, and your desktops into 2 of it's 4 switch ports then all pc's can access the Internet through it, and you don't need to run ICS from any host PC.

Originally posted by nismohks
but im cheap and dont have the $$ at the moment.

You don't have $20 - $30? Wireless 802.11B routers have really come down in price, and it would save you a lot of time and headaches trying to come up with your own home-made solution. I just posted in the [H]ot Delas forum about a 802.11B router that is on sale for $20.

It is possible to setup a peer to peer connection wirelessly. You would have to configure your wireless NIC's to operate in AD-HOC mode which is essentially peer to peer for wireless. There is no security, and the connection only exists between your wireless clients so if your Internet connection comes in over your PC, the wireless laptops will not be able to access that. AD-HOC is just peer to peer so as far as your laptops are concerned your other computers dont even exist.

or

you could follow CypressTree's idea :)

yer 4 OLD pcs. im using an AMD Athlon 800 atm. crap so if i get a wireless thingy.. do i get a wireless router or access point? whats the diff?

Get the router - a dedicated WAP wouldn't do anything for your wired PCs and it would be more expensive, I believe.

Back