Sharing internet connection?

nitrobass24

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - December 2009
My families business in on the top floor of an older building and the only internet we can get is either t* or satellite, well we have satellite now and it sucks.
So i went and talked to the owners of the business down the hall from us and asked them what they did and they said that they have a T3 but its about 1000 a month, well short story is we decided that if its possible to share the internet connection and well just split the bill.

Both of us have our own private networks and run a SBS2003, we would want to maintain our private networks but be able to share the internet connection.

Can this be done?
What do i need?

You would just need your own gateway / router and you should be fine.

Have you considered wireless? In my area, they have wireless service that runs actually pretty darn good. It's based on cellular tech and runs around $25 a month and is faster than a T1, but the latency is worse.. 200ms average which is fine for surfing/email.

firewall with vlan would work wouldn't it?

does the t3 service happen to give out multiple ip? then all you gotta do is get seperate routers and be done.

ok cool yes they/we have a block of 20 static ips

Any suggestions on router that would do this well for under 300

if your running sbs 2003 as exchange server id get a real firewall.

under 300 bucks im not really sure, i like to use the freedom9 freeguard 100s, they are like sonicwall tz series. maybe a untangle box or something? probably get yourself like a biz model from linksys, dlink, or netgrear, but id get a firewall unit =)

Free virtual router... vyatta.com

it's not that hard to set it up if you don't mind command line.

Back