Sharing DSL with Linksys WRT54g

Cheetoz

[H]ard|Gawd
I got EarthLink DSL and a Linksys WRT54g router. How do I setup the router to allow the computers connected to it to use the internet also?

I already set up my router to connect to the internet, and my computer works fine. My computer can also access the 2nd computer, and visa-versa. But the second computer's internet does not work.

I tried setting up ICS, but is it possible with one nic? I set my network connection as my internet connection, but my network setup wizard cannot be completed.

So what do I have to do to share my dsl?

I want to have to use a proxy or w/e as my last resort. Thanks.

Ok first make sure the dsl router is connected to the WAN(not uplink) port. The two computers connect to the numbered ports. You may have set up bridging on the modem or call up earthlink and ask them if you need to change any settings on the modem. I know for sprint I have to telnet into the modem and tweak some stuff for the dsl to work through the wrtg54...but it does. The default settings on the router should work without a lot of tweaking.

Yes you need two nics(or 1 nic one modem:( to share dialup) to use ICS, but the WRTG should handle the job fine.

If your two computers can see each other, the router is working. If the second computer cant get net it is either a problem on the second computer or perhaps the bridging issue I encountered with sprint. Again you will have to check with earthlink to make sure you dont have to do any gymnastics to get the dsl to share.

Is there a "general" way to accessing your modem? How did you telnet to your modem?

you can telnet into some modems by hooking the computer up directly to the modem and then opening a command prompt and using the telnet command. "Telnet 192.168.1.1" or telnet 192 .168.0.1 depending on what address the modem uses. For the sprint modem I set up it was telnet 192.168.1.1 and it will give you the setup menus. You have to know which settings to change though, which i called sprint tech and asked them which ones to change. It isnt always an admission of defeat to call the tech help. If you mess with the settings it might stop working altogether.

Some DSL ISP providers give you totally "dumb" modems, meaning there is no interface of any kind to change anything *for whatever reason* so you may or may not be be able to modify the DSL modem settings depending on your ISP. Qwest has done this with MSN for awhile, modems that are permantly "flashed" with the IP settings and the end user can't do dick with it or attach a higher grade router on the other side.

Whelp, I didn't backup my old settings on my wrt54g, so after playing around with it to try and fix it, i messed it up more.

The router doesn't see the modem. I put in my PPPoE settings, but it doesn't connect, and goung to status and clicking on connect results with a window stating it cannot get the modems ip.

Removing the router and connecting directly to the modem works, but my router can't seem to see it anymore. I tried hard resetting it, but nothing.

I installed a nic on my 2nd comp, and connected it to the modem, and it doesn't escape the acquiring ip addresss.

I tried putting in it's ip as 192.168.0.1, and then creating a PPPoE connection, and I just get a no responce from remote connection error.

Man I have no idea why the router + modem isnt working anymore.

I reset the modem, I factory restored the router. Then all I did was set the PPPoE info and save. Still nothing.

You might have more luck at the DSL Reports Earthlink DSL forums and FAQ. Lots of people asking similar questions. The answer seems to be set your modem to bridged mode (PPPoE/NAT/DHCP disabled) when using a router with PPPoE.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I can almost guarantee the DSL Reports junkies can fix you right up.

MEfreak said:
You might have more luck at the DSL Reports Earthlink DSL forums and FAQ. Lots of people asking similar questions. The answer seems to be set your modem to bridged mode (PPPoE/NAT/DHCP disabled) when using a router with PPPoE.

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I can almost guarantee the DSL Reports junkies can fix you right up.

I agree, bridging is probably the best solution.

Back