Sharing an Internet Connection via WiFi

xdivenx

[H]ard|Gawd
Okay....Here we go.

Currently, Ive got my network setup like this.

Modem > Wired Router > Switch > My Desktop Computer w/ wireless card >Laptop

I just bought a laptop, and I want to somehow take the internet connection my desktop gets over the ethernet and share it with my laptop via the desktop's wireless card. I have jumped through hoops configuring ad hoc connections, messing with ICS, and bridging connections. But I can never see a network computer and I can never get an internet connection on the laptop. Could anyone point me in the right direction as far as which solution to use and how to set it up. The Desktop OS is Win7 and the Laptop's OS is Vista Home Premium.

So unloading on an old old router is out of the question? I have one. It sits and whines on the shelf. 50-60 bucks could get you a decent wireless g router that will achieve what you need easier than fighting with internet connection sharing.

Just my two cents.

Last edited:
Yep, Ive got it that it would be easier to use a wireless router.

Back to the thread, anyone have any advice on how to do this?

Control Panel -> network and Sharing Center -> manage network Connections -> Select the Connection of your choice 9The one with internet -> Right Click Properties ->Sharing -> Check Allow Other network Users to Connect Through This Computer's Internet Connection, optionally, select allow other network users to control or disable the shared Internet Connection.

I have Vista ultimate but I would imagine Home premium would be the same. That will allow connection sharing the rest I'm not sure about.

As far as broadcasting with the wireless card, I'm not sure. you might need to bridge the connection or something. Your best bet really is getting a wireless router.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=ICS+Windows7

1. Go to Control Panel > Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center

2. Under Change your networking settings, click Set up a new connection or network

3. Select Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network

4. Enter your Network name, and enter a Security key if wanted

5. Check the box for Save this network and click Turn on Internet connection sharing on next page

http://www.windowsreference.com/win...ternet-connection-sharing-ics-setup-in-vista/

I was able to connect to the ad hoc network, however I only get "limited" connectivity, and and I can't resolve a host when trying to browse the internet. This is where I was before. Is it necessary to configure IP's and the DNS server manually?

And on my laptop, the status window of the wireless adapter appears to be sending packets but not receiving them.

Bump

This is because its not being given an IP address. Windows has a built in DHCP server that can be enabled through the ICS Wizard.

I've never done that in Vista though, only in XP.

This was never stated, but I assume you have an ad-hoc wifi network that the laptop joins. You then should set the IPs manually. So set the them as something like the following:

Desktop wifi:
IP: 192.168.2.1
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1

laptop wifi:
IP: 192.168.2.2
netmask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1

then you also may need to copy the DNS settings from the desktop's NIC to the Laptop's wifi.

After typing all this in I also realized you could probably just bridge the wired and wireless NICs in the desktop. Then the DHCP requests from the laptop should be passed right through and handled by the router.

Back