Sharing a printer in Windows 7

roaf85

2[H]4U
Have a Canon MP760 printer. It is about 3 years old, but there is Windows 7 drivers etc. for it.

Running Windows 7 64 bit and before I was running Windows XP where everything was working great sharing the printer. Now when try sharing the printer my Macbook Pro running 10.6 will not even find the printer.

With XP it was working fine.

Windows Vista 32 bit on my network can find the printer and print to it. So I am not sure if it is a Windows 7 problem or OSX problem. Thanks.

See if any of this covers it.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com...e/thread/bd920e46-dbeb-4bb2-a38e-8791facd0608
My System: MacBookPro (Snow Leopard 10.6.2), TimeCapsule, desktop PC (Windows 7 Home Premium), Canon MP800 printer hooked to the PC via a USB connection.

On the Windows 7 PC

1. In Windows 7 Control Panel
2. Select "Programs and Features" pane
3. Click "Turn Windows Features on or off"
4. Click on the "LPD Print Service". Under "Print and Document Services"
5. Ensure printer(s) are shared

On the Mac

1. Open "System Preferences" - "Print & Fax"
2. Click "+" to add a printer
3. Right hand button tool bar to customize and add "Advanced" button
4. Select "Advanced"
5. In the "Type:" field select "LPD/LPR Host or Printer"
6. In the "URL:" field enter lpd://IPserver/PrinterShareName; (e.g., lpd://10.0.1.4/mp800)
Using lpd://ServeName/PrinterShareName does not work, the IP address must replace ServerName
The IP address is the address of your PC, the one assigned by your router
7. Click the "Add" button

For my printer, a Canon Pixma MP800, I had to use the Gutenprint MP830 driver. The Canon drivers do not work, flashing an error message too quickly to read. The problem is probably related to the TimeCapsule having only one-way communication. The Canon drivers work perfectly when the printer is hooked directly to the Mac.

You must have the shared printer on the Windows 7 machine as a single name with no spaces.

Back