Sharing a lot of files to 500 users

Metraon

Limp Gawd
I am looking for a way to share about 650 files to about 500 users over the internet.

There is a number of private files, about the same number as the user number and the rest (150 ish files) are public.

I am thinking to get a dedicated box, create the 500 users with a batch file and send them the credentials by email.

Also creating another script to move the private files to their home folder.

It would be a simple php website and people could log in to acces the files...Is there any other solutions ?

Thanks

FTP? Public Folder + User folders?

You don't say how big the files are...but Dropbox and GoogleDrive can share files...

Does DropBox can set file permissions ? I am not a big user of their products but as I recall it cant...prehaps the Business subscription ?

To be honest, FTP, public and user folders was kind of my other alternate solution !

FTP made file sharing simple way before anyone ever used the word cloud to refer to online file access.

DropBox is currently only Read/Write. It says on their website it's a future plan to include read only.

FTP is probably the way to go.

Scripted OpenVPN install with a powershell script that mounts a samba share and asks for credentials.
//Danne

I should have mentioned it but its not users, they are students from a mid-sized music school. They want to be able to record once a week,some of the songs they play. Some songs are private, but some are public like the orchestra and the choirs.

Thanks for the suggestions !

You didn't mention a budget... You could contact box.com and see if they would be willing to set you up with an educational discount that fits in your budget...

You could create Work Folders on your server if it is 2008 on up.

As long as they have a new RDP client on there machines this should work fine, if anything you could host the files up also through remote workplace as well, I wouldn't call that an ideal solution but its cheap.

Back