Sharing a dial-up using 802.11g router?

rcrez

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if it was possible to easily share a dial-up connection using an Netgear 802.11g router (WGR614) meant for cable/DSL? I have two Windows XP boxes and one Windows 2000 box that I would like to use for very basic internet service. The idea is that when one of the boxes connects to the internet, the other ones on the LAN network will also have a connection.

I know that it is possible to use internet connection sharing in Windows to shrae my dial-up connection. However, other systems on the LAN network do not see the proper gateway necessary to connect to my dial-up ISP. The gateway they do see is the gateway of the router which is something like 192.168.1.1.

The problem is getting the computers on the LAN to see the one system that is sharing the internet connection. Is there a way to make this easier?

Disable DHCP on your router. As a router that device is worthless. You'll use the LAN switch function of the device.

If you feed the netgear router from the ethernet port on that win2k ICS server... it doesn't matter if they see the Win2k gateway or not. All you need to do is set that router to DHCP on the wan side of it... or statically program I believe 192.168.0.1 for the gateway and 192.168.0.2 for the IP of the router if statically programming it... Not 100% sure for those IPs though if statically programming. It's been so long since I've done ICS on windows that I can't remember what the IP range is...

Or you can go out and get a Webramp M3 and an external 56k modem like me and run the Webramp to the router and feed from that...

Back