Shared Printer only works for admin, restricted user print-jobs sit in queue

FLATcura

Weaksauce
Hey,

this is a brutal question that im embarrassed to not be able to figure out but here it goes..

i have a resource room with 2 computers my clients can use to access the internet and type up resumes and such, they are on their own workgroup (RESOURCE)

both run xp pro sp3, and have a single HP laserjet 1020 plugged into RESOURCE1 and is shared to the workgroup. i have added the shared printer to RESOURCE2, tested it and everything works great.. as admin

i log out and back into the client account (residents) same as the account on the other machine, and the printer is shown, shows as being "ready" but when i print, it sits in the print queue and does nothing. even if i try to cancel it nothing happens, so i have to log into the other computer and stop the spooler and delete the .shl files and start it again to clear it out.

to troubleshoot ive given the residents account full access to the spooler directory, full access to the printer, the drivers location.

ive uninstalled the printer from both computers, installed it with new drivers from hp.com to the other computer (RESOURCE2) and its the same friggin thing, its maddening

if anyone has any suggestions of what else i may try, i would greatly appreciate it

What OS is the printserver? When you say they are on workgroup resource and the printer on resource1 to me it seems you are on two different workgroups, can you please clear it up, maybe if you make a diagram diagram of the each pc ip address, workgroup, Operating system, etc, the more info the better.

no print server, just two computers (resource1 and resource2) on the same workgroup (resource)

both computers running xp pro sp3

they both have static ip addresses

sorry for the brutal diagram, i have the artistic talent of a boiled boot, and i was bored

worst_network_diagram_ever.png

Ok now makes more sense, so you have the printer as shared on resource1! and you already went to network places on resouce2 and clicked on the printer in the network places and clicked connect to this printer!

It could be both PC's having the same user name on account that might be screwing things up, make the user name on resource2 different and add it to resource1 user list and give that account privilege to print and see if that work?

Back