Shared for administrative purposes? Huh?

-=FNW=-j@br0n1

Weaksauce
Tell me:

If I have a hard drive (let's say drive E:, for instance) in Windows XP, and I want to share the contents of drive E:, when I share it there are no write priviledges available until I add a new share with a different name.

When I try to adjust the permissions of just the E: drive, I'm told that it's "shared for administrative purposes" and that permissions cannot be set until I create a new share.

Well, if it's already shared, why would I have to make a new share that comprises the same information and have all clients see both, when there's really only one "shared" folder?

Thanks in advance for an explination.

J

EDIT: I guess what I'm saying is WTF does "shared for administrative pruposes" mean?

Administrative shares (in a nut shell) == Only administrator can acces them and they are hidden.

So to access it you have to TYPE \\computer name\E$ (in this case, its \\computer name\share name$)

i cant give you the technical explanation, but windoze alyways shares all fixed disks as drive$. for example, your c drive is \\computername\c$

i could find out why...but im sure if you search on google, youll find it.

you just create another share so that you can set explicit permissions on it....eh i never use file sharing anyways...so i could be wrong..sorry if i am

Back