Share Your Intel Pentium G3258 OC and Settings

I cranked the voltage up .05v and then I did the AIDA64 stability test for 75 min without issue.

So should I drop the voltage .01v at a time to find out where the perfect setting is? I also have no idea what uncore is or what the proper settings should be.

For proper terminology with uncore you should Google it.

Also unless your cpu is getting hot, keep that voltage. You are still pretty low.

Hello, first time post here :)

4.5GHZ
CM Hyper 212 EVO
TIM Arctic Silver 5 (grain of rice method)

core voltage 1.3
ring voltage 1.75
stress test about 20 mins highest st 80C

However, here is my question, on HWMonitor, it shows my Core #0 is always 6C higher than Core #1
Is this normal? should I take apart HSF and reapply thermal paste?

Variation between cores is normal, some have reported 10 degree differences! you can try a remount, but dont be surprised if it turns out the same. Some folks take to de-lidding the chip to increase cooling efficiency. I might try it once my new MB comes in.

Hello, first time post here :)

4.5GHZ
CM Hyper 212 EVO
TIM Arctic Silver 5 (grain of rice method)

core voltage 1.3
ring voltage 1.75
stress test about 20 mins highest st 80C

However, here is my question, on HWMonitor, it shows my Core #0 is always 6C higher than Core #1
Is this normal? should I take apart HSF and reapply thermal paste?

Isn't that ring voltage too high? By default it was the same as Vcore for me.

I've also joined the club:

MSI Z97 PC Mate
Deepcool Iceedge 400 FS

Just a quick oc:

4.4Ghz
core 1.2
ring 1.1

Highest temp under prime95: 69C

What's the vid range for this CPU it's not listed on Intel ark.

I'm at 4.4 GHZ using stock cooler and G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400

4.5 @ 1.3 w/ H60

Board won't let me use any other settings really, the MSI PC Mate z97 is kind of sparse on OC options. CPU doesn't hit much past 60C, played SWTOR for hours and the highest I got was 63C on one of my cores. My ring is still at auto :D

4.4 was fine at 1.25, I may drop it down if I ever see my temps go crazy.

4.5 @ 1.3 w/ H60

Board won't let me use any other settings really, the MSI PC Mate z97 is kind of sparse on OC options. CPU doesn't hit much past 60C, played SWTOR for hours and the highest I got was 63C on one of my cores. My ring is still at auto :D

4.4 was fine at 1.25, I may drop it down if I ever see my temps go crazy.

Why would it be sparse? You can change everything individually, most of the things I can tweak I don't even now what it is.You just have to switch to manual mode instead of using the build in oc profiles.

Why would it be sparse? You can change everything individually, most of the things I can tweak I don't even now what it is.You just have to switch to manual mode instead of using the build in oc profiles.

The only built in OC profile I know of is the Genie which got me pretty close to what I am now. I will say though that my first time running Genie on this board it wasn't stable.

Did anyone here see this deal on Newegg?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Combo...a&cm_sp=&AID=10440897&PID=3891137&SID=rewrite

Would this be able to overclock at all? I am just starting to explore this chip to potentially replace my Athlon X4 750K if I discover it is an upgrade for my daily use. I don't play many games anymore. Mostly I run VMs now, do schoolwork online, the usual stuff. Youtube streaming, Spotify, normal crap. The most intensive game I play on a regular basis is Borderlands 2 and the upcoming pre-sequel. Would this be a good option for me?

You would have to Google the chipset to find out if it has a bios update to support OCing.

As far add an upgrade, if you plan to upgrade the cpu in the future it's a good upgrade, if not I would bother spending the money.

That board maxes out at 1.2V and you can OC with it after a BIOS update, but the deal is gone now anyway.

I got the Microcenter MSI PC Mate / G3258 combo a few days ago.
Stock cooling and 1.2V gets me 4.6Ghz. Guess I am on the lucky side. This is with a few sticks of 4 year old Samsung DDR3-1600 Ram.

A lot of people I have seen have been getting better OC with leaving the cache at 4.0-4.2 and running the core up higher. I had no problems at 4.6 though.

I'm getting this chip this week. It's going to be used in a plex server. I hear the CPU can do 2 1080p transcodes simultaneously, but just barely. I'm looking to bump up the speed, but not by much (just to give a bit of breathing room). I was wondering what a realistic expectation would be on stock voltage? Would 4.0 GHz be way too high for stock?

To be honest I don't even know what my voltages are. I clicked on something in the BIOS that read Overclock Genie, or Overclock Wizard? The next thing I know I was at 4.4Ghz...:D

I'm thinking about purchasing a g3258 for a budget build. What motherboards with be best for overclocking. I may use my corsair h100i to aid in cooling.

anything Z97 is your best option, there are cheaper options though so it depends on your budget and what you need.

H100 is wicked over kill for this.

anything Z97 is your best option, there are cheaper options though so it depends on your budget and what you need.

H100 is wicked over kill for this.

I realize that the h100 will be over kill but what the heck. I should be able to produce $100 to $150 if need be for a motherboard as I am also purchasing a 4690k from my friend.

They price match Amazon prices, even for online orders.

They will only price match items sold by Amazon though.

Got mine a couple weeks ago. Running on a gigabyte z97n-wifi mini ITX. Not a huge selection of OC'ing and voltage options but my chip is running at 4.5ghz on the stock HSF with voltages set to auto, looks like its putting them around 1.2v. RAM is set to 1866 at 1.35v
I have the same RAM, how do you have it set to 1866? The G3258 memory controller is only capable of 1333 according to the specs.

I'm running the g3258 cpu with a ga-z87-ud3h board. In the bios the CPU vcore is set at 1,27v and the multiplier to 44. Readout in the bios says this is 4,4Ghz. The RAM is set at profile1: 1600Mhz at 1,65v.

When I boot into windows (win7 ultimate sp1 32 bit) and open AIDA64 or CPU-Z, these programs say I am running at 3,2 ghz, the stock speed of the cpu. Has the bios reset itself to default?

No.

These programs also report a Vcore of 1,27v for the CPU and that the memory is indeed at 1600Mhz and voltage at 1,65.

If I boot back to the bios, either on a reboot or a cold start-up, the bios settings have not changed. Multiplier remains at 44.

Can someone explain this to me. I must be doing//thinking something wrong

Update bios - when i had fresh Z97 Gaming 7 it was doing same thing as cpu was recognised but multiplier change was not.

Update bios - when i had fresh Z97 Gaming 7 it was doing same thing as cpu was recognised but multiplier change was not.

I am using BIOS F9. The latest is a beta F10b. I am not (or was not) too sure about using a beta bios

edit: upgraded to F10b and yes it holds. Thanks so much

Last edited:
^^ I bought that bundle a while ago. I got mine to 3.8 ghz on the stock cooler without touching the voltage. Sold to a friend as-is before trying to push it any further.

I only made it to 3.6 on stock voltage with my chip :(

It runs cool even with the stock cooler. When I get the chance to test it out with a Hyper 212 or such I'll start tweaking voltage and see where it can go.

Even if you push the voltage to 1.5 it doesn't get very hot, it's a 45w chip after all.

I have mine set at 1.5v @ 4.5ghz and handbrake got it up to 60c using a H60.

For my wife's email / web surfing rig.. I am just doing a modest overclock with the stock cooler. I was even able to drop the voltage a little, I haven't tried to go lower, but it is prime stable at 4 Ghz at 1.07 vcore. This is probably a really good chip, but no need to stress it. Cool and quiet is desired. On prime 95 for 10 min, I am hitting a high of 68 degrees C on the stock cooler with ambient temps at 70 degrees F. My board is the MSI PC Mate Z 97 / combo from Microcenter

I have mine done {S}oft with OC Genie at 4.3GHz. I haven't really messed around to get a higher clock. But I know the Command Center app will allow me to adjust it on the fly if I feel like doing something for no good reason. Totally unnecessary, but awesome all the same.

Back