Share my media?

mryerse

2[H]4U
It's been a while since I've looked into this but I'd like to share my media (music/movies/etc) with friends/family over the Internet.

As I recall most of the solutions that do this, such as Orb, do so via streaming. I'm not really interested in streaming technologies but more something like SMB or HTTPS so they can just download copies without compression/streaming, over the internet where I can control read/write access per user (or just read for everyone but me). Or maybe if one of these streaming technologies has a way to just download and not stream that would probably work.

What solutions have others come up with for this?

BTW this is only for personally created music and movies, you know from home videos and my own music studio and such.

Get a router that allows for VPN access. the last thing you want to do it put your desktop directly on the internet.

Yeah I hate the idea of opening up SMB to the Internet. VPN sounds like a good idea. My only concern with that is ease of use.

To clarify, this isn't really for me. This is for a friend, who is somewhat tech savvy, but not nearly as much as me. And I think his friends are probably even less so.

With regard to VPN, any suggestions on something that would be super easy to setup on both ends?

BTW the media server is a CM404, so no way you can install anything like orb on it. From what I can tell it's just SMB and NFS.

Running an FTP server is simple and straightforward so that's another option.

There are also some very friendly clients or you can just connect through windows explorer.

You can run a secure FTP server if you so wish too.

Back