Share internet with cable modem and router?

rbarr110

Limp Gawd
I have searched through the forums, googled, and tried linksys and MS, still having trouble. So hopefully someone here can help.

I have a wireless Linksys router that has 4 connections for a wired setup. I had used the router for my Xbox that was upstairs but had my pc downstairs at the other end of the house. I switched over my Xbox from wireless to wired after running the house with CAT5 through the walls and in the attic down to my office.

My main PC (WinXP) is connected to the first wired port of the router and my Xbox to the second port. They both work fine. I recently acquired a laptop running Win2K and tried connecting to port 3 of the router to gain internet access in the bedroom upstairs. The router lights up showing that is recognizing a connection with the laptop, but the activity lights do not light up. When I disconnect the Cat5 from the laptop the laptop says the network has been disconnected.

I set the LAN connections to autodetect IP etc. etc. and as far as I can tell, all the settings on the Win2K laptop match my XPpro desktop. Is there something I am missing?

Thanks (Sorry for the long explanation)

rbarr110 said:
I set the LAN connections to autodetect IP etc. etc. and as far as I can tell, all the settings on the Win2K laptop match my XPpro desktop. Is there something I am missing?
Have you checked ipconfig (open the command window and run "ipconfig /all" to see if the autodetect is pulling in the information correctly?

There really shouldn't be anything beyond plugging in the cable as far as the router is concerned.

I ran ipconfig /all on the laptop and it isn't pulling any ip data, at least not like my desktop. The desktop lists a ton of info, i get 3 or 4 lines on the laptop with little or no inforamtion.

Do any lights come on in the laptop NIC??

You also might want to try switching cables and see what that does.

Try ipconfig /renew

That will refresh your settings, and hopefully get a connection from the router.

Is it possible you are using a bad network cable or card? Do you have the right drivers for your network card installed?

You might have a crossover cable, or you might have crossed over your wiring when doing your house. I had the same problem on one gang of jacks I installed in the wall but then realized that they were indeed crossedover on accident.

Start at layer 1, check your physical connections and meduims.

Back