Share internet connection with a switch?

colinstu

2[H]4U
Here's a lame diagram

willthiswork.png

(cable modem btw)

I've tried setting up internet connection sharing (ICS) with windows but it doesn't seem to be working. Would I need to make that computer a DHCP server some how? (because I'm assuming the switch isn't assigning IPs)

Instead of ICS, bridge the wireless adapter and the LAN adapter on the WiFi connected computer.

Instead of ICS, bridge the wireless adapter and the LAN adapter on the WiFi connected computer.

Okay, selected the two device icons, bridged.

I go to the wired machine and still not getting any kind of activity or response.

Are you using the uplink port? Use a normal port for everything if you are on that switch.

Ditched the crossover cable and using a normal port. Everything is working now!

Sweet, thanks!

So, there's nothing I can do with that uplink port besides connecting a router to it?

All an uplink port does is make a normal network wire act as a crossover cable. In switches built today, they are all autosensing so the port no longer exists. For older switches/hubs, its typically piggybacked onto another port - so on a 5 port swtich, you'll have 5 standard ports and 1 uplink. The standard port next to the uplink typicaly cant' be used if you're using the uplink port.

All an uplink port does is make a normal network wire act as a crossover cable. In switches built today, they are all autosensing so the port no longer exists. For older switches/hubs, its typically piggybacked onto another port - so on a 5 port swtich, you'll have 5 standard ports and 1 uplink. The standard port next to the uplink typicaly cant' be used if you're using the uplink port.

kk. Thanks for the info.

Back