Share internet connection with a switch?

colinstu

2[H]4U
Here's a lame diagram

(cable modem btw)

I've tried setting up internet connection sharing (ICS) with windows but it doesn't seem to be working. Would I need to make that computer a DHCP server some how? (because I'm assuming the switch isn't assigning IPs)

Brak710

[H]ard|Gawd
Instead of ICS, bridge the wireless adapter and the LAN adapter on the WiFi connected computer.

colinstu

2[H]4U
Instead of ICS, bridge the wireless adapter and the LAN adapter on the WiFi connected computer.
Okay, selected the two device icons, bridged.

I go to the wired machine and still not getting any kind of activity or response.

Brak710

[H]ard|Gawd
Are you using the uplink port? Use a normal port for everything if you are on that switch.

Schro

[H]ardness Supreme
Ditched the crossover cable and using a normal port. Everything is working now!

Sweet, thanks!

So, there's nothing I can do with that uplink port besides connecting a router to it?
All an uplink port does is make a normal network wire act as a crossover cable. In switches built today, they are all autosensing so the port no longer exists. For older switches/hubs, its typically piggybacked onto another port - so on a 5 port swtich, you'll have 5 standard ports and 1 uplink. The standard port next to the uplink typicaly cant' be used if you're using the uplink port.

colinstu

2[H]4U
All an uplink port does is make a normal network wire act as a crossover cable. In switches built today, they are all autosensing so the port no longer exists. For older switches/hubs, its typically piggybacked onto another port - so on a 5 port swtich, you'll have 5 standard ports and 1 uplink. The standard port next to the uplink typicaly cant' be used if you're using the uplink port.
kk. Thanks for the info.