Share files over a netowrk this way ?

metallicaband

Limp Gawd
Hello everyone,

My cousin asked me if I could help him figure out a way to a do a file sharing setup he wants for his work netowrk, but since I don't have any idea about how to do such thing, thought maybe you guys could help me out.

What he wants to do:

- He'd like to share some of his computer files (a folder containing many sub-folders and files) to a specific number of users in his Network.
- He'd like them to have access to these files through a webpage. (I told him to just share the damn folder with the users and they'll be able to browse it, but apparently he's working with a bunch of retards that need to browse through the files in a webpage interface)
- He'd like this webpage to view his shared folders/files in a Treeview/Gridview style, something like this:

In the example I've mentioned, user is choosing SubFolder1 and the files in it are displaying on the other side (File1 & File2).

So, is it possible to do this ? If yes, please answer the following questions:

1- What programs are needed to do the entire setup ?
2- How difficult is it do it ? for example, is a high level of understanding specific computer languages necessary to do such setup ? Or is it possible to do it by following a few tutorials ?
3- Finally, does my cousin have to constantly update the webpage if he updated the shared folders/files ? Or will the files he's sharing always be updated automatically as long they're done in the same shared main folder?

Any help would be really appreciated.

share files, make HTML page with \\compname/sharename shortcut?

you mentioned this is for a "work" network. does this business have any servers? if they are running server 2003 then he could setup sharepoint which is pretty much designed to do what you are talking about. It's not too hard to setup, lots of tutorials to be found on the internets.

Thanks for replying both of you, I've told him about those options, but he really wants it to be exactly as I mentioned (webpage with tree/grid view of his shared files).

If someone has an idea about how to do it, it would be great if you could share the information.

Im sorry, but that just seems way too complicated compared to doing file share browsing. The problem is the users will have a really hard time putting stuff back on the server. Where with file browsing they can just copy/paste.

You could try an FTP website, that would probably be the easiest and closest to what your guy wants. Would need to setup IIS. I think you could use Apache, too, but I don't have any experience doing that so I can't say for certain . . . .

it would have to be an ftp based thing have a look at serv-u they offer this and its damn easy to set up

however how do they plan on saving anything?

are they going to save it locally then upload it. whats the bet after 1 week they stop uploading stuff.

alternitively they save it to a folder normally.

tbh i would tell then to stfu it cant work that way and just map there my documents fodler to a file share and tell them to use my documents

Back