Shapeshifting VR Controller Homemade Mod Simulates Real Feel

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This guy's mod on a VIVE controller weights the controller dynamically to simpulate how VR weapons would feel in your hand and also simulates recoil as well. While I would love to give this a try, you would probably want a very large roomscale environment to start playing about with this. Because...it's all fun and VR games till someone loses an eye.

Check out the video.

Dynamically changes the sensation of weight when picking up objects in VR. It is currently working for HTC VIVE, but we are finishing an adaptation for OCULUS soon. Currently he can emulate objects (weight) and armament (weight, shape and shooting feedback). In the video, he is emulating different weapons and the feedback of the shot. As a curiosity, there is no animation in the guns. It is the haptic himself who is making that firing rate. The INDIE developers of VR (Unity at the moment) that want to test the system, get in touch with me so that we can make a functional test. It is very quick to implement.

Last edited:
Someday I'm gonna have a VR setup. And I'm gonna have a top shelf VR game. And in that game, my character is going to have the choice of: A) Attacking With My Sword, B) Ripping Off Her Bodice, or C) Staying In The Closet And Start Masturbating, and I'm not gonna have the right controller. And then my mom's gonna walk into the room.

Or I'll trip over my mom's dog, and when she asks what happened I'll get angry and tell her she needs to keep her dog out of my room when I'm trying to hold a sword and masturbate, 'cause that shit is tricky.

Someday I'm gonna have a VR setup. And I'm gonna have a top shelf VR game. And in that game, my character is going to have the choice of: A) Attacking With My Sword, B) Ripping Off Her Bodice, or C) Staying In The Closet And Start Masturbating, and I'm not gonna have the right controller. And then my mom's gonna walk into the room.

Or I'll trip over my mom's dog, and when she asks what happened I'll get angry and tell her she needs to keep her dog out of my room when I'm trying to hold a sword and masturbate, 'cause that shit is tricky.

Wow um

Wow

Here is a pilot event that we did with InsideVR this weekend. PvP VR. This JUST a tech test for systems, hardware, and streaming abilities.

As awesome as that video is, 'seanreisk' won't appreciate it until he actually uses the Vive. It's easy to be sarcastic when you don't understand what you're mocking.
Fixing that is our mission. :)

Looks really interesting. I could see people breaking these on walls and desks easily though, definitely need a large open space.

As awesome as that video is, 'seanreisk' won't appreciate it until he actually uses the Vive. It's easy to be sarcastic when you don't understand what you're mocking.

Apologies - I'm not really making fun of VR, I'm making fun of me. I've already torn off a toenail playing Skyrim VR on a friend's Playstation. You don't need to move your body to get around in Skyrim, but I still do - even if I'm certain I'm standing still. It sort of takes you out of the world when you hear someone say, "Tony, you're about to walk into the sofa."

It's super creepy to be fighting something and bump an easy chair, or have your asshole friend crumple some newspaper behind you.

Last edited:
... It sort of takes you out of the world when you hear someone say, "Tony, you're about to walk into the sofa."

It's super creepy to be fighting something and bump an easy chair, or have your asshole friend crumple some newspaper behind you.

Yeah, it does kind of break the illusion when you try to put your hand thru the wall. ;) However, it's interesting to me that when I hear people who don't want/like VR for those interruptions. I've never felt so into a game sitting at my desk looking at a monitor. To me those occasional interruptions are more of a fun reminder of how awesome it is, I never had any sense of immersion to lose before.

--

I like this guys controller idea, while obviously very much a prototype, I could imagine adding a tracking sensor to the end would help to keep people from putting the extended sword into the wall by calling up the chaperone when the end gets too close. Ceiling heights might be more of an issue. It's really neat that people can do this with the hardware.

Last edited:
Back