Shaking monitor

CFodder

Weaksauce
Not sure if I should put this here or in the video card section, but oh well...

Well when I turn on my computer and monitor, the whole thing shakes slightly. Would dust cause this, could it be a mis-seated vid card, etc? It is slight and just annoying.

BTW...it is a 19" CRT by Logisys......and I know my other computer does not shake when it is plugged in.

Any ideas?

Do you mean the screen is shaking?

It could be lots of things, but my guess is interference with other electrical equipment. Microwaves, fridges, speakers, other computers, etc. all give of EMF waves which can interfere either with the transmission of the signal (like in the cable) or to the monitor itself. My cell phone used to make my old monitor go crazy. :D

Try rerouting the cable, or moving the monitor. Also, to make sure the monitor isn't going bad, try plugging it into your other computer and see if that still shakes. If it does, try switching the cable as well. (I've had bad/unshielded cables before too)

If it shakes only for a few seconds after turning it on it’s your degaussing circuit. It’s supposed to do that. That circuit applies a magnetic field momentarily to your screen to remove any stray magnetic fields that might interfere with geometry and color.

That feature is also available on demand in one of your menus I would imagine.

Luck

BillR said:
If it shakes only for a few seconds after turning it on it’s your degaussing circuit. It’s supposed to do that. That circuit applies a magnetic field momentarily to your screen to remove any stray magnetic fields that might interfere with geometry and color.

That feature is also available on demand in one of your menus I would imagine.

Luck

yup it's normal....

If it's constant, you can try changing your refresh rate...my buddy has a cheap-o viewsonic CRT and it constantly shivers when the refresh rate is higher than 60hz, but sometimes it won't. I'm guessing that when it's a constant shaking/shiver, that the monitor isn't shielded well...don't know what to do about that though, sorry.

I had a mag 19' that used todo that. I tried rerouting cables, ensured no interferenece, etc and just figured the thing was at the end of it's viewing life.

It doesn't do it with my other computer. I have two comps tied in via a KVM switch. The one thing I am worried about is that this computer is closer to a panel for all the cable and power in the apartment building. It shakes pretty much nonstop, and has become an annoyance more than a hindrance.

I had this problem for the longest damn time with my Sony G410R 19" CRT and even my 17" Sony Trinitron I had before it. If the shaking is constant, it actually is most likely an inadaquate power source. When I was living back at home, I would constantly have this problem, especially when more power was being used throughout the house (heaters, appliances, etc). I was able to drop the refresh rate down to 60Hz and that would fix the problem, but of course that opens up a whole new slew of problems.

Now, at my new apartment I can run this things at the same resolution at 75Hz without a problem.

Try messing with your refresh rates and finding which one works best for you.

Phat, I think you solved the problem. I switched down to 60 and it is no longer shaking. This is a newer apartment building, so I have no clue why it is doing it.....worked fine at my old apartment building. Even if I switch it to another outlet, it does the same thing! Thanks though guys!

If you're monitor supports it, try various levels of refresh rates, higher and lower. EMI is basically waves, so some frequencies will have more interference than others.

Other than relocating your monitor, you could try to shield it. If you've got any metal or aluminum plates lying around, you could try putting them around your monitor...or maybe just once side to see where the interference is coming from (front, back, top, bottom, sides). If you've got spare case panels (from the sides) you could give those a try.

Is there anything near your monitor? Subwoofer, computer tower, fridge? You might try moving that instead if it's easier.

An AC motor like a fan can do this from quite far away. There is a company out there somewhere on the web that sells copper mesh which blocks EMI, It looks ugly wrapped around your monitor but it does solve the problem.

Well I have the computer that seems to have problems with the higher refresh rates that is closest to the monitor, but it has been in that same position since I have had it. Like I said before, I moved into a new apartment. The one thing that could be the issue is the cable box and other electric things are probably the closest thing to the monitor (through a wall on the outside). A subwoofer is on the ground next to the monitor, but still a good three feet away. I may try moving the towers to a different location to see if that is the cause.....probably will do it this weekend.

Not sure that would fix the problem, but I have been thinking about doing that anyways.

Back