Shafted again - need help w/ Ubuntu

gnewbury

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - September 2007
Power surge, UPS failed, main HD fried, reloaded Ubuntu on new HD, forgot what FREAKIN' libs I had to download to get SMP working - UB shows 4 cores,
"./fah6 -smp -config" returns:
This client only supports 64-bit linux machines. Your machine was detected as ''.

HELP please!

it needs 64-bit to run smp afaik...it just requires a few 32-bit libraries with it

You must have a 64 bit Linux distro to run the Linux SMP client. I don't know about it needing any 32 bit libs as I always install them for other things anyway. I would assume there is something in Synaptic which should have the option of installing popular 32 bit libs which should be all you need if anything.

From the look of the error you got, it sounds like you installed a 32 bit version of Ubuntu. I can't help you anymore than this as I only have Ubuntu on one machine, it's an old P3 1Ghz and I never mess with it anyway as all it does is run WCG. I personally do not care for any flavor of Ubuntu and avoid it. Although it's bloated, I do prefer openSUSE 10.3 much better for my needs. It even runs halfway decent on a P3 800 with 512 meg of RAM which is also running a WinXP virtual machine for a couple of programs.

I think I have a copy of PCLinuxOS or something like that around that I was going to mess with but I haven't gotten around to it. It's supposed to be much lighter than openSUSE with similar specs to Ubuntu but setup much different for the GUI and options. I guess I need to get a VM running for that one of these days. Either that or get my 1.2Ghz T-Bird system running and install it on that.

so, how can Windows run 32 bit SMP, but Linux can't?

it may have something to do with the beta client, but i would suspect it's rather got something to with some particular libraries they use for the SMP client on the linux side of things

I'm using the same CD I installed with after Thanksgiving, I doubt it downgraded to 32bit.
When I tried the "apt-get" it couldn't find the libs.
Such a FREAKIN pain for what used to be simple.
Thanks guys and gals for your help.

Have you tried getting the ia32-libs through synaptic package manager? Can you connect to the internet?

Only 2 things i can think of with my flu induced head fog :(

so, how can Windows run 32 bit SMP, but Linux can't?

The Windows install base is mostly 32 bit so to get the most out of the Windows SMP client they had to go with a 32 bit client. Linux has had 64 bit OSes "mainstream" for a good bit longer than Windows. Also, there are fewer people using Linux to fold so it wouldn't hurt the project much to go with 64 bit only on the Linux SMP client. These are just my guesses as I have no official information.

Something to keep in mind is the difference in PPD between the Windows and Linux SMP clinets on the same machine. The Linux SMP client is much faster than the Windows client. I would guess that the Linux client being optimized for 64 bit is probably a big reason for the quicker processing of work units.

Have you tried getting the ia32-libs through synaptic package manager? Can you connect to the internet?

Only 2 things i can think of with my flu induced head fog :(
I'm trying that now, but it can't find the package.
I'm using this machine on the net now and continue to get the F%^&^&* message that it builds the dependencies but can't find the package ia32-libs.

I'm trying that now, but it can't find the package.
I'm using this machine on the net now and continue to get the F%^&^&* message that it builds the dependencies but can't find the package ia32-libs.

check the following....

sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list
---Uncomment the universe repository lines by removing the # that begins each of those lines.

that opened up the ia32libs for me

Well thanks y'all.
Reloaded with Xubuntu and it was much easier, found and loaded the libs with ease.
Then the only problem was it kept hanging due to a slow net, but I'm now up and running with 4 cores cranking.

Now the q is should I make another instance because the cores aren't maxed?

I thought previously there was debate about turning in the WU slower when running 2 clients.

Well thanks y'all.
Reloaded with Xubuntu and it was much easier, found and loaded the libs with ease.
Then the only problem was it kept hanging due to a slow net, but I'm now up and running with 4 cores cranking.

Now the q is should I make another instance because the cores aren't maxed?

I thought previously there was debate about turning in the WU slower when running 2 clients.

i do 2x xubuntu VMs on my quad personally....granted, that's more because the VMWare server only allows 2 cores max. that being said, I'd end up getting a higher PPD for 2x VMs than I would 1x SMP running in Xubuntu, with the WUs still being completed in just over a day (something around 25-26 hrs) at stock speeds on the Q6600

If you do run dual clients, I think it's important that you do run them in VM's.
That way Stanford knows you have 2x2 cores and not 2x4 cores.
This will stop you getting the high speed protiens that need 4 cores to hit the deadline.
My 0.02p worth.

Luck ........... :D

We had been playing with VM at work and found on our Windows boxen we were taking about a 10% performance hit. How is it possible to run more processes (VM plus folding) and not have it decrease the performance?

i only have mine using 512 ram each, so with 4 gigs of ram in my box, it's not becoming a ram issue....past that, with folding off there will always be some (albeit low) overhead to running the VMs, simply because there's an OS running in there. that being said, when folding is off, i don't notice the difference at all. obviously with folding on, your cpu is being hounded, but the linux instruction set still folds faster than the windows set, so it ends up being faster to run the folding client through VMs.

We had been playing with VM at work and found on our Windows boxen we were taking about a 10% performance hit. How is it possible to run more processes (VM plus folding) and not have it decrease the performance?

If you are talking about folding performance under Linux (even just inside of VMs) with the SMP client, read my previous post. While I'm not 100% sure it's correct, it does seem to be logical.

i do 2x xubuntu VMs on my quad personally....granted, that's more because the VMWare server only allows 2 cores max. that being said, I'd end up getting a higher PPD for 2x VMs than I would 1x SMP running in Xubuntu, with the WUs still being completed in just over a day (something around 25-26 hrs) at stock speeds on the Q6600

Well I said the heck with and went ahead and downloaded and set up a second client about 2.5 hrs after I loaded the first. With 1 client FahMon was reporting about 2500ppd (I didn't write it down), with two clients it's reporting 3375ppd on two 2653 proteins
Stock q6600, w/ stock retail fan, 1 Maxtor 320GB SATA, ECSm/b, running such that the h/s is not even warm, KillaWatt reads 135 watts for the system.
First protein due out in 8 minutes.
/edit - So figuring points per watt it's about 1:1.
/edit2 - note that previously when I was running 1 core with my old (recently deceased) 40Gb Hd I was only consuming about 95 watts, but only making 2100ppd.

Back