Shadows of Mordor

So, I got the game when it first came out. I would go try to kill a captain and then 17 other captains would show up and I'd get slaughtered. Then of course they would all 'rank up' and eventually they all got way to powerful and I couldn't do anything without running into a captain of death.

I remember some other people having the same problem.

Have any of the patches or anything done to help with that? I think I'd be ok if I didn't get mobbed by 3 others while trying to kill one.

Thanks.

So, I got the game when it first came out. I would go try to kill a captain and then 17 other captains would show up and I'd get slaughtered. Then of course they would all 'rank up' and eventually they all got way to powerful and I couldn't do anything without running into a captain of death.

Have any of the patches or anything done to help with that? I think I'd be ok if I didn't get mobbed by 3 others while trying to kill one.

Thanks.

I had the same issue initially, I had the same uruk kill me probably 10 times in the first couple if hours, with various other added captains jumping in.

I do not think there has been a patch to fix this as I am pretty sure it is a game mechanic.

You quickly learn to use worms and junk level orks to find the strengths and weaknesses of the captains, and make an effort to plan your attack, knowing ahead of time that they are invulnerable to ranged attacks, or vulnerable to stealth attacks.

When you get to an area where you are hunting a captain, or completing a mission, make sure you are using the wraith sight (whatever it us called) and make sure there are not more captains you can handle, know where the archers are and things that can assist you, like caged caragors, bait, flies etc.

And don't be concerned about running away if you get overwhelmed.

Shadows of Mordor frankly punishes anyone who just runs in and tries to kill stuff.

I had the same issue initially, I had the same uruk kill me probably 10 times in the first couple if hours, with various other added captains jumping in.

I do not think there has been a patch to fix this as I am pretty sure it is a game mechanic.

You quickly learn to use worms and junk level orks to find the strengths and weaknesses of the captains, and make an effort to plan your attack, knowing ahead of time that they are invulnerable to ranged attacks, or vulnerable to stealth attacks.

When you get to an area where you are hunting a captain, or completing a mission, make sure you are using the wraith sight (whatever it us called) and make sure there are not more captains you can handle, know where the archers are and things that can assist you, like caged caragors, bait, flies etc.

And don't be concerned about running away if you get overwhelmed.

Shadows of Mordor frankly punishes anyone who just runs in and tries to kill stuff.

Thanks for the quick reply. I for the most part was using the wraith sight thingy. That's what made it so damn frustrating. I'd carefully scope shit out, see he was the only captain around.. And then somehow out of no where while fighting him 24 others would show up. It was like a planned gangbang where I'm the poor unsuspecting victim.

Thanks for the quick reply. I for the most part was using the wraith sight thingy. That's what made it so damn frustrating. I'd carefully scope shit out, see he was the only captain around.. And then somehow out of no where while fighting him 24 others would show up. It was like a planned gangbang where I'm the poor unsuspecting victim.

Make sure you are killing any orcs near the captains that "raise alarms" or call for help because there are certain ones that do just that.

Via RNG, you may have also generated a ton of "surprise attack" captains. You may have to work on clearing those out first.

No, there are definitely instances where you will just get rushed once you encounter a captain. Guys just appear out of nowhere, no alarms, no "surprise attack" characteristic, nothing. I believe it is probably to make fighting captains more of a challenge, since one-on-one in this game is ridiculously easy, even against most captains.

What happens if you kill a captain and don't pick up what drops? I am getting the slight feeling that I might have run off too quickly after killing the first and missed something.

I'd like to add that I'm still experience occasional save game funkiness. Be sure to back up your saves.
What happens if you kill a captain and don't pick up what drops? I am getting the slight feeling that I might have run off too quickly after killing the first and missed something.
The rune he drops remains. You can locate it on your map.

I've only been playing this game for a couple of days and have been doing nothing but increasing power and collecting items, and it seems like I've already attained god-like status. I can destroy any captain and endless waves of enemies just by using execute over and over. Is this it? I mean, it's fun, but I feel like there is already little reason to keep playing other than to get through the story.

Thanks.

Hmm never seen 17 but it does happen frequently to confront a captain and soon after another or 2 show up. I think maybe higher level captains have lower level captain bodyguards so they travel together. Whats more annoying is the endless swarm of generic orcs while trying to focus on killing the captain haha Eventually it becomes less of a nuisance to deal with even terrible odds against you, and very gratifying also to murder them.

Is the Season Pass for this game worth it? I haven't put much time into the game since purchasing... go sucked into Destiny and other real life stuff. But plan to spend dedicated time on this soon.

Anyone else run into this problem?
...all abilities populated, but still showing I have 2 points to spend. Are there extra/hidden abilities that need to be unlocked?

Its been a while since i've played but where are your 3 ultimates? Or was that on a different page?

No idea though... but uh... quick random question, what's the 3d image supposed to be. I cant make out wtf it is. Looks like a game of janga.

No idea though... but uh... quick random question, what's the 3d image supposed to be. I cant make out wtf it is. Looks like a game of janga.

It's a picture that I posted in [H]ardSteve of a...a...well, you tell us. :p

3GB is required for smooth Ultra textures at 1080p. I'm not sure even 6GB would be enough for Ultra textures at 4K.
Anyone have ideas how SoM will play at 1440p on a 4GB GTX 970?

I'm in the market for a couple new games but hoping the price comes down a bit. It's $50 on Steam right now and $35 for the DVD from Amazon.

Just picked this up as part of the Steam sale. Got the game and season pass for $25. Pretty excited to try it out.

How many gameplay hours to beat this game? I haven't touched it since the first intro bit ages ago. I found this game lacking.

Posted in the deals section, but steam has this game for 50% off or 24.99 as the weekend deal. Or for about .50 more, (25.49) get it with the season pass.

I never quite understood why speed run a game. You're not really playing or enjoying the game that way.

I never quite understood why speed run a game. You're not really playing or enjoying the game that way.

Its just for the challenge and pushing yourself to the limit and beyond, like sports. Some people enjoy that stuff.

Yep, and it's pretty fascinating, what people can discover to push themselves through a game. i Mean, a 35 minute run of Dishonored is pretty amazing to see. Though I don't like the use of clipping too much.

Indeed... though, it doesn't really have to. Mordor's speed run show some stuff that just makes the NPC move faster. And I personally don't mind exploits, I just don't like wall clipping, it's very screwy and looks bad.

Yep, and it's pretty fascinating, what people can discover to push themselves through a game. i Mean, a 35 minute run of Dishonored is pretty amazing to see. Though I don't like the use of clipping too much.

35 minutes?:eek:

I was about to say. Speed runs usually involve some sort of exploit

There are different kinds of speedruns. Sequence breaking & clipping ones and going through the game legit. However some sequence breaking speedruns can be fascinating. Just check out Wind Waker (GC version) speedruns and how you can move from island to island superfast. Without a boat! :eek:

Is the DLC worth playing. I couldn't get into Lord of the Hunt DLC. Is the Sauron one worth spending time on?

Loved the game but if you ask me to brand another 5 warchiefs, you better have a good reason.

first attempt to uncover all parts of the maps and exploring each and every section through the bell towers but I got tired of the repetitive fights and running around riding that beast made the entire map felt a little smaller..

I started playing this again recently (lost my save games from before somehow in a format). I notice that there is a weird mouse acceleration issue when looking around...like sometimes it is really fast and sometimes very slow...might be somewhat performance-related? Though my framerate never drops that far. No option to get rid of it in the menus...very annoying. Any ideas?

I started playing this again recently (lost my save games from before somehow in a format). I notice that there is a weird mouse acceleration issue when looking around...like sometimes it is really fast and sometimes very slow...might be somewhat performance-related? Though my framerate never drops that far. No option to get rid of it in the menus...very annoying. Any ideas?

http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Shadow_of_Mordor#Input_settings

It might be. As you move the mouse to change the view, the rendering might interrupt the inputs long enough to create lag.

Playing some of the DLC.

The Bright Lord DLC: I have 4/5 Warchiefs branded...somehow one of them got killed despite me trying to prevent it. You have to brand all 5 to move this thing forward and I can't do it.

There are no options like in the main game to have friendly missions to get your orcs moved up in power struggles and so forth. I have branded everyone on the map. There are no missions on the map. I can pass time and nothing happens.

I'm completely stuck.

I got through the main game...65% completion, about 13 hours or so. Might go back for the DLC a bit later, but stuck on Witcher 3 for now... :p

The only thing that helped the mouse issues was to run in fullscreen instead of borderless. Unfortunately this introduced a bunch of tearing, but at least the mouse wasn't jumping around crazily (as much...it still does it on occasion).

I completed the main part at 100% & the 2 DLC are all done with. I had a blast but as Q-BZ has pointed out, the Bright Lord DLC isn't as versatile with options as the main storyline.

Back